“Why You Love Matt and Lynda”
Grand Prize Winner
Wendy Kelly's "Why I’d Like to Be like Marge Simpson"
Jane Cullina's "A House Full of Books"
Tiffany Gouch's Essay: "Sweet Memories of The Simpsons"
I remember cuddling under blankets, lights off, while the intro cartoon and the accompanying song and credits played, the only reflection in my bedroom. "The Simpsooons..." Yes! I would hum along not missing a beat.
But the often yell of “BAAAAAARRRRT!” by Homer inspired by whatever Bart had gotten into during that version of the intro really sealed the deal of the me. I mean in the uncompromising world of TV who would of thought of changing the intro cartoon so often. I loved it! Overall, The Simpsons was funny, super creative, high energy, smart alec-y, good, old American humor rivaling Archie Bunker and the Carol Burnett Show, The Jeffersons, and the Cosby Show alike. But The Simpsons were different.
Even though The Simpsons were yellow, and I and my family are brown, I felt connected to the sentimental artist in Lisa, the bad ass in Bart, and the sweetness confusion of little Maggie, who I don’t believe ever had a speaking part? I wonder though what she would have said of all of the super fun madness while sucking on her pacifier.
How the heck did you all come up with these character concepts? The Simpsons, simply put : ingenious.
Official Rules for the “Why You Love Matt and Lynda” DIY Illustration Contest
1. GENERAL INFO: The “Why You Love Matt and Lynda” DIY Illustration Contest (herein known as "Contest") is designed to give people the chance to create a 1- to 5-frame comic strip or 200-word testimonial inspired by the work of Matt Groening and Lynda Barry and submit it in a contest for a chance to win a prizes.
• VIP tickets to “An Evening with Matt Groening & Lynda Barry – Love Hate & Comics: The Friendship That Would Not Die” (Oct 10) followed by a meet-and-greet reception
• VIP tickets to “Art Spiegelman’s Wordless: An Evening of Words, Music and Comix” (Oct 17)
• a one-year lynda.com subscription
Honorable Mention prize:
• VIP tickets to “An Evening with Matt Groening & Lynda Barry – Love Hate & Comics: The Friendship That Would Not Die” (Oct 10)
• VIP tickets to “Art Spiegelman’s Wordless: An Evening of Words, Music and Comix” (Oct 17)
• A one month lynda.com subscription
The first 50 entries will receive a free pair of tickets to “An Evening with Matt Groening & Lynda Barry – Love Hate & Comics: The Friendship That Would Not Die”
You can enter the contest as an individual or as a team. For purposes of these Official Rules, Individuals and Teams shall collectively be known as "Entrants".
Your comic strip or testimonial must be produced by you, the Entrant.
Here's how it works:
• NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. The “Why You Love Matt and Lynda” DIY Illustration Contest ("Contest") is designed to give people the chance to create their own comic strip or 200-word testimonial inspired by the work of Matt Groening and Lynda Barry. The Grand Prize winning submission will be published in The Santa Barbara Independent &/or on independent.com.
• By participating in this Contest, Entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and to Sponsor's decisions, which are final and binding on all matters relating to the Contest. The Contest submission period begins at 12:00 a.m. PST on September 18, 2014 and ends at 5:00 p.m. PST on September 30, 2014 (the "Submission Period"). The Sponsors of this Contest are UCSB’s Department of Arts & Lectures, Bldg. 402, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5030 and The Santa Barbara Independent, 122 W. Figueroa Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101. The Contest will operate as described below, on or about the stated dates:
• Submission Period (9/18/14 – 9/30/14): artwork and testimonials are submitted according to the "How to Enter" description in Section 3 of the Official Rules.
• Judging Period: (8/12/14 – 8/14/14): Entries will be reviewed by Lynda Weinman & Bruce Heavin, cofounders of lynda.com. Winners will be selected in the sole discretion of the Sponsors and judges. One Grand Prize Winner and one Honorable Mention winner will be selected.
• Notification Period: (10/6/14 – 10/9/14): Sponsors shall attempt to contact Winners, or alternates, if necessary, as described in Section 6 of the Official Rules.
• Winners announced on Thursday, October 9, 2014 in The Santa Barbara Independent, on www.independent.com and/or via the UCSB Arts & Lectures’ Facebook page and/or Santa Barbara Independent’s Facebook page.
2. ELIGIBILITY: Contest is open to entrants ("Entrants") who are legal residents of the 50 United States and Washington, D.C. Void outside of the 50 United States, Washington, D.C., and where prohibited.
3. HOW TO ENTER: The artwork and/or testimonials should be emailed, along with a submission form, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Sponsor may post submissions to its social media channels and websites, so we recommend that you use non-copyrighted images. Contest Entities are not responsible for any image clearance whatsoever, including but not limited to licensing costs or otherwise, in connection with any images utilized in a submission. Each entry must include a completed submission form.
To enter, email your submission form and entry to email@example.com. Or mail or drop off your entry to The Santa Barbara Independent, 122 W. Figueroa Street, Santa Barbara CA 93101. Original artwork, DVDs, thumb drives and any other materials submitted for the contest will not be returned.
Sponsors are not responsible for any items that are lost, damaged, or that do not upload properly.
All Submissions must be received by 5:00 p.m. PST on September 30, 2014. Sponsor is not responsible for late or unsuccessful attempts to enter. Sponsor reserves the right to allow for minor fluctuations between the Entrant's timing device and the Sponsor’s timing device, based on clear intent to comply with the Official Rules, as determined in the Sponsor's sole discretion. The Entrant should be able to provide on request all appropriate clearances, permissions and releases for the Submission, including releases from the submitting Entrant and any third parties appearing in the Submission. Incomplete, corrupted, untimely, or unintelligible entries will be disqualified. If for any reason an Entrant's entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost, or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, Entrant's sole remedy is another entry in the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to determine in its sole discretion which entries have satisfied the entry requirements. Entrants may enter more than once, as long as all entries comply with these Official Rules, including without limitation the Submission Requirements. ELIGIBLE ENTRANTS MUST SUBMIT EACH ENTRY IN ACCORDANCE WITH THESE OFFICIAL RULES. NO OTHER METHOD OF SUBMISSION WILL BE ACCEPTED.
• Be the Entrant's original idea. Entrants should not knowingly copy another's idea, but entries will not be excluded merely because another Entrant has a similar idea.
Submissions must NOT:
• Contain material which is (or promotes activities which are) sexually explicit, obscene, pornographic, violent, self-mutilating (e.g., relating to murder, the sales of weapons, cruelty, abuse, etc.), discriminatory (based on race, sex, religion, natural origin, physical disability, sexual orientation or age), illegal (e.g. underage drinking, substance abuse, computer hacking, etc.), offensive, threatening, profane, or harassing;
• Include mention or performance of any copyrighted media production including but not limited to music, films, books, television programming, etc., or identifying descriptions of any media property.
• Contain material that violates or infringes another's rights, including but not limited to material that violates privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement. Without limiting the foregoing, Video Submissions must not include third party trademarks, logos, insignia, location signage, photographs, artwork, or sculptures. All music featured in any video must be available to publicize and broadcast on a license-free, no compensation basis.
• Include third parties, including but not limited to minors, celebrities and friends who have not expressly authorized Entrants to display their image, likeness or voice in any submitted video or otherwise use such image, likeness or voice in accordance with these Official Rules.
By entering, each Entrant represents and warrants that his or her entry (and Sponsor's and its designees' use thereof) does not and will not defame or otherwise violate the rights of any third party and does not and will not violate any federal, state, or local laws or ordinances. Entrant further represents and warrants that he or she has secured the requisite consent from any third party referenced or appearing in their entries. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any entry that it believes violates any of the Submission Requirements, does not otherwise comply with these Official Rules, or that is not consistent with the spirit and theme of the Contest. Entrants will retain copyright in their work, but each Entrant grants to Sponsor a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, assignable, royalty-free license to publish, reproduce, distribute, display, perform, create derivative works, transmit or disseminate the Works in all media or platforms whether now known or hereafter invented. Entrant also waives any and all moral rights in the Works with respect to any use by Sponsor its member stations, sublicensees, or assigns. Sponsor and its designees shall have the perpetual, worldwide right to publish and use the entries in any way, and in any media for trade, advertising, promotional, and/or other purposes as Sponsor and/or its designees may determine without further consideration to Entrant or any third party.
4. DISPLAY PERIOD: All decisions of the Sponsor are final on all aspects of the Contest. Finalist submissions may be displayed on various Sponsor-branded media, at the sole discretion of Sponsor.
5. WINNER NOTIFICATION AND ANNOUNCEMENT: The potential Winner, as determined by the Judges, will be notified by email on or about October 6, 2014, and will be required to respond (as directed) to the notification attempt. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of participation in the Contest and, in such case, Sponsor will select an alternate Winner according to the Judges' results.
7. PRIZES: Odds of winning will depend on the number of eligible entries received. In no event will more than one (1) Grand Prize be awarded. Sponsor makes no representations or warranties with respect to the potential benefits or outcomes to Winner with respect to the advice or commentary provided.
Prize Restrictions: Winner cannot assign or transfer the prize to another person. No prize substitution or changes are allowed except at the discretion of Sponsor. Prize cannot be substituted or redeemed for cash. All prizes are subject to availability. If a prize or any portion of a prize cannot be awarded due to circumstances beyond the control of Sponsor, a substitute prize may be awarded; provided, however, that if prizes are awarded but unclaimed/forfeited by recipient, prize may not be re-awarded in Sponsor's sole discretion. Other restrictions may apply. Limit one prize per person, per household. Prize is provided "as is" without warranty of any kind. Winner is responsible for any loss of prize or portion of prize after it has been delivered.
8. RIGHTS IN SUBMISSIONS: In consideration of Entrant's submission being reviewed and evaluated for this Contest, each Entrant hereby grants to the Sponsor, its assignees, the exclusive, irrevocable, fully paid, universal license to use, copy, sublicense, transmit, distribute, publicly perform, publish, delete or display such submission, or any portion thereof, in any media now known or hereafter devised including, but not limited to all forms of television and all forms of Internet and wireless protocol. Each Entrant authorizes the Sponsor and any entities affiliated or in privity with the Sponsor to utilize, for eternity and in any manner they see fit, the artwork/copy submitted to Sponsor, and to make derivative works from such materials solely in connection with the Contest (i.e., to create promotional materials). Each Entrant releases the Sponsor, and their assignees and licensees, from any and all claims or liability (now known or hereafter arising), including but not limited to any claims for defense and/or indemnity, in connection therewith. Each Entrant agrees and acknowledges that participation in the Contest, including, without limitation, the Entrant's decision to provide the Entrant's submission to Sponsor for purposes of the Contest, shall not give rise to any confidential, fiduciary, implied-in-fact, implied-in-law, or other special relationship between Sponsor and Entrant, does not place the Sponsor in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public with regard to elements of the Entrant's video submission, and that the only contracts, express or implied, between the Sponsor and Entrant are as set forth in these Official Rules and the release forms. The Winner may be required to complete and execute additional documents and have third parties execute Sponsor's documents in connection with the rights granted to Sponsor as a condition of prize acceptance. In addition, by participating in the Contest and submitting artowrk/, each Entrant hereby grants permission (except where prohibited by law) for the Sponsor to use Entrant's Video, name, likeness, voice, quotes, comments, biographical information, photograph and/or image for the purpose of advertising, trade, or promotion without further notice, permission, compensation or consideration in any and all media now known or hereafter developed throughout the universe, unless prohibited by law. Except as required by law or permitted pursuant to these Contest Official Rules, the Sponsor will not share an Entrant's contact information with any third parties.
9. NATURE OF RELATIONSHIP/WAIVER OF EQUITABLE RELIEF: Each Entrant understands and acknowledges that the Sponsor has wide access to ideas, stories, designs, and other literary materials, and that new ideas are constantly being submitted to it or being developed by their own employees. Each Entrant also acknowledges that many ideas or stories may be competitive with, similar or identical to the Submission and/or each other in theme, idea, plot, format or other respects. Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that such Entrant will not be entitled to any compensation as a result of Sponsor's use of any such similar or identical material. Each Entrant acknowledges and agrees that the Sponsor does not now and shall not have in the future any duty or liability, direct or indirect, vicarious, contributory, or otherwise, with respect to the infringement or protection of the copyright in and to the Submission. Finally, each Entrant acknowledges that, with respect to any claim by Entrant relating to or arising out of Sponsor's actual or alleged exploitation or use of any Submission or other material submitted in connection with the Contest, the damage, if any, thereby caused to the applicable Entrant will not be irreparable or otherwise sufficient to entitle such Entrant to seek injunctive or other equitable relief or in any way enjoin the production, distribution, exhibition or other exploitation of the Video or any other production based on or allegedly based on the Submission, and the Entrant's rights and remedies in any such event shall be strictly limited to the right to recover damages, if any, in an action at law.
10. RIGHTS OF SPONSOR / DISCLAIMER OF LIABILITY: Sponsor shall have the right and sole discretion to edit, to refuse to publish, or cease to publish any submission whatsoever which it finds to be in violation of these Official Rules, or which it finds in its sole discretion to be otherwise objectionable for any reason, including with respect to Sponsor's standards and practices and other policies. Sponsor also reserves the right to replace the Winner's submission with the submission of an alternate eligible Entrant in accordance with these Official Rules if such submission and/or Entrant is withdrawn from or removed from the Contest for any reason, including without limitation, Entrant's failure to have Sponsor's documents executed by third parties. Sponsor also reserves the right, in their sole discretion, to terminate the Contest for any reason in the event that there is an error, malfunction, problem or other cause which impacts the operation, administration or security of the Contest or the Sponsor and, in such situation, to select the winner(s) from the eligible Entries received prior to the action taken or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by Sponsor. The opinions expressed in the submissions are not necessarily (and in some cases not at all) those of the Sponsor. The Sponsor is not responsible for any materials provided by Entrants which are deemed harmful or offensive to others or for any harm incurred as a result of the submission 's creation. The Sponsor is not responsible in any way for any injury, loss or damage which occurs as a result of an opinion expressed or information provided in the submissions published on the website, social media channels, or in print. The Sponsor makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the content or the accuracy or reliability of any information or statements contained in the submissions. All statements and opinions made by Entrants are those of such Entrants only, and the Sponsor neither endorses nor shall be held responsible for the reliability or accuracy of same. Sponsor is not responsible for the content or practices of other third party websites that may be linked to the Contest Homepage. This site may also be linked to websites operated by companies affiliated with Sponsor. Visitors to those sites should refer to each site's separate privacy policies and practices.
11. WARRANTY: It is an express condition of submission and eligibility that each Entrant warrants and represents that Entrant's submission is solely owned by Entrant and solely created by Entrant for the purpose of entering this Contest, and that no other party has any rights or interest in the submissions. Entrant further represents and warrants that the submissions and any use thereof by the Sponsor or any partners, subsidiaries and affiliates in connection with programming, advertising, promotion and publicity, shall not infringe upon any statutory or common law intellectual property right (including, without limitation, any copyright) under U.S. and international laws and shall not constitute a defamation, or invasion of the right of privacy or publicity, or infringement of any other right of any kind of any third party.
12. INDEMNITY: Entrant shall defend, indemnify and hold University, its officers, employees or agents harmless from and against any and all liability, loss, expense (including reasonable attorneys' fees), or claims for injury or damages arising out of the performance of this Agreement but only in proportion to and to the extent such liability, loss, expense, attorneys' fees, or claims for injury or damages are caused by or result from the negligent or intentional acts or omissions of Entrant, its officers, agents, contractors, associates, partners, co-performers, or employees.
13. RELEASE AND LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: By participating, each Entrant agrees that the Sponsor, ("Released Parties") are not responsible or liable for, and shall be released and held harmless from: (i) late, lost, delayed, damaged, incomplete, illegible, unintelligible, misdirected or otherwise undeliverable mail, postage-due notices, release forms, affidavits or other correspondence; (ii) telephone, electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet or computer malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind; (iii) any condition caused by events beyond the control of the Sponsor that may cause the Contest to be disrupted or corrupted; (iv) any printing, human, typographical or other errors or ambiguities in (or involving) any materials associated with the Contest; (v) any and all losses, damages, rights, claims and action of any kind in connection with or resulting from participation in the Contest; (vi) acceptance, possession, or use of any prize, including without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage arising there from; and (vii) claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to suspend or cancel the Contest at any time for any reason, including, without limitation, if a computer virus, bug or other technical problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper conduct of the Contest, strikes, lock-outs, acts of God, technical difficulties, and other events not within the reasonable control of Sponsor.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, ENTRANTS AGREE THAT THE RELEASED PARTIES WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND SHALL BE HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANTS AGAINST, ANY LIABILITY FOR ANY INJURIES, LOSSES, OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND TO PERSONS, INCLUDING PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH, OR PROPERTY RESULTING IN WHOLE OR IN PART, DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, FROM ACCEPTANCE, POSSESSION, MISUSE, OR USE OF THE PRIZE, ENTRY OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR IN ANY CONTEST-RELATED ACTIVITY, OR ANY CLAIMS BASED ON PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, OR INVASION OF PRIVACY, OR MERCHANDISE DELIVERY. THE RELEASED PARTIES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IF ANY PRIZE CANNOT BE AWARDED DUE TO TRAVEL CANCELLATIONS, DELAYS, OR INTERRUPTIONS DUE TO ACTS OF GOD, ACTS OF WAR, NATURAL DISASTERS, WEATHER, OR TERRORISM.
WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING REGARDING THIS PROMOTION, INCLUDING THE CONTEST HOMEPAGE AND ALL PRIZES, ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
14. GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS: California law governs this Contest. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of the Contest, or the rights and obligations of Entrants and Sponsor in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the California, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than California. In the event of a claim or dispute, Entrants' sole remedy shall be limited to their remedy at law for damages, if any, and Entrants shall not have the right to in any way enjoin or restrain the distribution, advertising, publicizing or other exploitation (in any form of media) of the Contest Homepage, the Contest, and/or any intellectual property owned or licensed by the Sponsor or their respective parent companies, subsidiaries, member stations, and affiliated entities. Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to prohibit any Entrant from participating in the Contest or to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole determination, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest; to be attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices; to be acting in violation of the Official Rules; or to be acting in a disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person. Sponsor may suspend or discontinue the Contest if, in its sole opinion, there is any actual or suspected tampering of the Contest, or any other malfunction, event or activity that may affect the integrity of the Contest. SPONSOR SHALL NOT BE OBLIGATED TO AWARD ANY PRIZE THAT RELATES TO OR ARISES OUT OF IMPROPER OR MISTAKEN PRIZE NOTIFICATION, OPERATION OR FUNCTION OF THIS CONTEST.
16: SPONSORS: UCSB Arts & Lectures, Bldg. 402, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5030 and The Santa Barbara Independent, 122 W. Figueroa St., Santa Barbara, CA 93101.
17. OFFICIAL RULES AND WINNERS LIST: For a copy of the Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope for receipt by Sept. 30, 2014, to: Official Rules, "DIY Illustration Contest", c/o UCSB Arts & Lectures, Bldg. 402, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-5030. Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.