It is our hope you'll take the opportunity to interact with the authors on our site -- community members, journalists, and other Independent.com visitors.
We welcome your participation on all of our articles and features, and we encourage you to analyze, discuss, or challenge Independent.com's content on the comment threads provided beneath each entry. In order to keep these experiences enjoyable and interesting we ask that you follow the rules outlined below. By submitting comments to our content or participating in forums, you are consenting to these rules.
1) You understand and agree that Independent.com is not responsible for any content posted by third parties. You further understand that, on the unmoderated discussion forums, Independent.com does not monitor the content posted. Nevertheless, In the interest of maintaining pleasant and informative comments threads Independent.com may monitor any user-generated content as it chooses and reserves the right to remove, edit, or otherwise alter content that it deems inappropriate for any reason whatever without consent or explanation. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user's privilege to post content on our site.
2) You understand and agree that our comment threads and discussion forums are to be used only for non-commercial purposes. You may not solicit funds, promote commercial entities, or otherwise engage in commercial activity in our discussion forums.
3) You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you post. You will not knowingly post content that violates the copyright, trademark, patent, or other intellectual property right of any third party. If you found you have violated this, you will remove said material or request that one of our website administrators does do. Likewise, you may not post content that is libelous, defamatory, obscene, abusive, that violates a third party's right to privacy, that otherwise violates any applicable local, state, national or international law, or that is otherwise inappropriate. You will indemnify The Santa Barbara Independent, Inc., its employees, agents, and affiliates from any and all claims and/or damages (including but not limited to reasonable attorney's fees) resulting from any claim brought by any third party relating to content you have posted. You may not post content that degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual preference, disability, or other classification. Epithets and other language intended to intimidate or to incite violence will not be tolerated.
4) The discussion forums are for text only. Use of graphics and audio is not appropriate. Links to relevant websites are generally acceptable.
5) You acknowledge and agree that you use and/or rely on any information obtained through our website at your own risk. Independent.com is not in any manner endorsing the content of the comment threads or discussion forums and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
6) For any content that you post, you hereby grant to Independent.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive, and fully sub-licensable permission to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, and display such content, in whole or in part, world-wide. You also grant The Santa Barbara Independent the right to incorporate it in other works, in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed.
7) Be succinct, constructive, and relevant to the story. We encourage engaging, diverse and meaningful commentary. Comments falling outside our guidelines those including personal attacks, insults, and profanity are not permitted and may be removed at our sole discretion.
The following types of comments are not welcome here, and may be pulled or blocked without warning or explanation:
- comments that include personal attacks on writers or other participants in these forums;
- comments that make obviously false or unsubstantiated allegations;
- comments that purport to quote people or reports where the purported quote or facts is not publicly known;
- or comments that include vulgar language or libelous statements.
These examples do not attempt to be thorough or definitive, in fact we reserve the right remove or block any comment we find objectionable for whatever reason. Intelligent argument and good manners do count on our website, and free expression does not require us to suffer fools and boors.
8) DO NOT USE ALL CAPITAL LETTERS; THAT IS ONLINE SHOUTING. Use of all caps may result in removal of your comment.