The California Department of Health Services issued a warning to seafood lovers after excessive levels of domoic acid were found in mussels and sardines harvested in Southern California waters. The admonition against consuming any bivalve shellfish from the Santa Barbara Channel was announced last Friday after routine monitoring programs showed elevated levels of the naturally occurring acid, as well as an increase in the bacteria that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning. Clams, oysters, scallops, and mussels with high levels of domoic acid have been known to cause the infamous “I ate some bad seafood” lament, associated with vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.
Originally published 12:00 p.m., March 30, 2006
Updated 11:29 a.m., April 13, 2006
Be succinct, constructive, and relevant to the story. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Discussion Guidelines. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.