If you blinked, you missed spring in Santa Barbara. Fortunately, the flavors of the season are bursting out at the Farmers Markets.
1. Cherries: Murray Family Farms has loads. Simmer them in red wine and sugar with a touch of orange peel for a Tuscan treat.
2. Strawberries: You shouldn’t have any trouble finding ways to eat them, but if you do, try dipping them in sour cream, then in brown sugar.
3. Cherimoya: If you haven’t tried this subtropical fruit, now’s the time. Halve it lengthwise and scoop out the creamy, sweet flesh with a spoon.
4. Blood Oranges: Use these perfumy, spicy smelling oranges in place of their more common cousins.
5. Apples: Normally we wouldn’t expect to see them until the end of summer, but who knows, with this weather they might think it’s fall.