1) Music: Hard to classify but easy to love, the Violent Femmes-whose folk-punk sounds bounce from playful to serious-play the Majestic Ventura Theatre on Sunday, July 29.
2) Drama: The Femmes are fighting over lead singer Gordon Gano’s decision to sell “Blister in the Sun” to Wendy’s for a hamburger commercial. See if bassist Brian Ritchie gets charbroiled over it onstage.
3) Comedy: Opening for the Violent Femmes is funny songman Chris Valenti and the Emotional Wrecks, who mixes relationships-gone-sour humor with solid rock.
4) Architecture: The Majestic’s 1920s Deco-style buildings strike quite a memorable fa§ade and create an intimate listening space-even if the security officers tend to be heavy-handed.
5) And More! According to columnist Barney Brantingham, Ventura “mixes quaint and culture” to provide the ideal daytrip. So check out Barney’s full report at independent.com/ventura, and make a day of it.