WEATHER »

Veggie Snack Gives Toddler Salmonella

Veggie Booty” Product Called Throughout North America


A toddler in Santa Barbara County became ill with a rare form of Salmonella, which has been linked to a puffed rice and corn snack called Veggie Booty, which is distributed locally as well as nationwide. The child was not hospitalized, and has recovered fully, according to a statement by Dr. Elliot Schulman, the county’s chief health officer. Salmonella Wandsworth, with which the child was infected, can be fatal to young children, frail or elderly people, or those with weakened immune systems. All codes and expiration dates of Veggie Booty are being recalled, according to a statement by county Health Office Elliot Schulman.

To submit a comment on this article, email letters@independent.com or visit our Facebook page. To submit information to a reporter, email tips@independent.com.



Be succinct, constructive, and relevant to the story. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Discussion Guidelines. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.

comments powered by Disqus
event calendar sponsored by:

School Shooting Threat to Santa Maria Schools Made via Facebook

Further investigation revealed that suspect did not have access to firearms.

Celebration of Life Ceremony Scheduled for Mark “Marky” Meza, Jr.

The 21-year-old former Carpinteria resident was killed in the Borderline shooting.

Jennifer Doudna Talks Gene Editing

She's confident the controversial technology will be used for good.

Phone Scammers Target Businesses

Pretend to have a delivery that just needs some cash or a wire transfer.

Former Ataris Bassist Pleads Guilty to Real Estate Scam

Michael Davenport faces up to 30 years in prison.