In the spirit of giving Mamma Earth a break, put your petrol-loving transport away for a week and ride your bike. May 17-25 has been declared Bike Week 2008, and the whole county’s getting involved. The following are just a few of the events centered around the two-wheeled pedaler.
• Street Skills for Cyclists: May 15-17. Two day, 10-hour class, $30. Register for CycleSmart at sbbike.org.
• Bike Week Kickoff Dinner: May 17 at the Chase Palm Park Center; Willie Weir returns with tales of bicycle touring and adventure.
• Bike to Work Day: May 21, 7-9 a.m. Before heading to your job, meet other like-minded souls at the corner of State and De la Guerra streets for free food, drinks, and prizes. Call Sarah Grant at 897-2669 for info.
• Bici Centro Repair Workshops: May 22 and 24. Learn bike repair, and share skills and bicycle knowledge. Thu., 4-8pm and Sat., 1-8pm. 601 E. Montecito St. Donations welcome. Visit bicicentro.org.
• Bicycle Repair Clinic: May 25, 8:30-10am. Get a tune-up at Open Air Bicycles (209 State St.). Call 962-7000.
• Santa Ynez Valley National Mountain Bike Race: May 16-18. Downhill, slalom, cross-country, and free kids’ race, among other events. Race location is off Zaca Station Road near Los Olivos. Visit ridesb.com for info.
For information on all Bike Week activities, visit sbbike.org.