The Santa Barbara City Fire Department responded to a fire on the Mesa last night, May 27, at around 7:15 p.m. According to officials, three engines, a truck company, and a battalion chief discovered a fire in the second story unit of an Oceano Avenue apartment but were able to extinguish it within ten minutes.
A fire investigator reported that the blaze started in the kitchen, and that it was likely caused by a malfunctioning refrigerator.
While no one was seriously injured in the incident, one of the apartment’s occupants was reportedly taken to the hospital after complaining of chest pains.
A fire department spokesperson said it wants to remind everyone that it’s important to inspect all old appliances for signs of potential breakdown.