You don’t have to be an Atheist or Agnostic to join or participate in Humanist Society of Santa Barbara activities — we encourage rational inquiry; scientific progress; artistic expression; human rights, compassion and social justice; environmental protection; and ethical behavior regardless of religious belief (or not). Membership and tax-deductible donations are invited at whatever level each individual can afford.
The Board of Directors of the Humanist Society of Santa Barbara, elected for 2010-2011 are:
- Ron Kronenberg, President
- Diane Krohn, Secretary
- Neal Rosenthal, Treasurer
- Jim Balter, Communications
- Wayne Beckman, Webmaster
- Sandy Garcia, Programs
- Andrew Hankin, Publicity
- Patricia Hiles, Caring Committee
- Joe Navarro, Activities
- Ray Stone, Newsletter Editor
- Mary Wilk, Membership
The Humanist Society of Santa Barbara is a 501(c)(3) Educational Nonprofit, established in 1995 as a secular community alternative to churches and other religious organizations. The public is invited to ten educational talks or films, twenty-four social dinners or brunches throughout the year, and a Summer Solstice party every June. In addition, there is a Winter Solstice dinner in December for members and guests only, and occasional celebrity visitor events. We publish a well-regarded newsletter, the “Secular Circular,” sent every month to our 160 members. Most months also have a Book Club discussion group.
Our next events will be:
- Saturday afternoon, November 20, “Behavioral Economics” with a Professor from UCSB;
- Sunday morning, November 28, Secular Thanksgiving Brunch;
- Saturday evening, December 18, members-only Winter Solstice dinner.