Third Battalion, Fifth Marines (a.k.a 3/5) organized on 8 June 1917 and first served America during World War I, demonstrating extraordinary skill and courage in numerous campaigns and battles. Since WWI, 3/5 has fought with overwhelming effectiveness in Nicaragua, Guam, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Desert Shield, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom and Phantom Fury. All told, the pride and professionalism of 3/5 in combat has garnered a remarkable seventy-seven decorations.
Most recently in Afghanistan, 3/5 lead the battle to secure Sangin District, Helmand Province from Taliban forces. This successful seven-month campaign, in the one of the most hostile territories, which included 500 separate engagements, came with one of the highest costs in causalities to a battalion in Afghanistan.
Please join the Santa Barbara Navy League as we say “Welcome Home!” to 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines and pay tribute to their selflessness, sacrifice and willingness to serve whenever called; wherever needed.
“Welcome Home!” Weekend
Schedule of Events: Sept. 8-11, 2011
Thursday, Sept. 8
- Sunset Cruise aboard Channel Cat*
Friday, Sept. 9
- Tour and BBQ at President Reagan’s Ranch provided in partnership by Young America’s Foundation*
- “Welcome Home!” Gala: Dinner, Auctions and Live Music by King Bee
Click here for more information and gala tickets
Saturday, Sept. 10
- Softball games at Pershing Park and Gourmet Food Truck Gathering approx. 10am-3pm
- BBQ at the Carriage Museum
- Great Food by the SB Elks and Live Music by The Brewery Boyz
Click here for more information and to buy your BBQ tickets
*The Channel Cat and Reagan Ranch events are private, due to the venues’ space constraints.
For More information on how you can donate, volunteer or join us in saying “Welcome Home!” to Marines of 3/5, please call the SBNL Office at 805.879.1775