Pay for Policing with Booze Tax

Randy Rowse wants more police but does not say how he will pay for them. Let me make a suggestion. The law allows for assessment of fees for special or extraordinary policing needs. A huge proportion of policing is due to the use of alcoholic beverages, whether it be downtown or in residential neighborhoods policing domestic violence, spouse abuse, or drunk driving. This could certainly qualify as other than ordinary policing and fees could be assessed on the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Councilman Rowse’s Paradise Cafe is a favorite watering hole. How fine it would be if he would take this solution to the City Council to finance the additional police.

To submit a comment on this article, email or visit our Facebook page. To submit information to a reporter, email

event calendar sponsored by:

Mandatory Evacuation Called for Fire Zones in Santa Barbara County

Heavy rains expected Tuesday-Thursday; debris flows feared.

Cannabis Farmer Gets over $1 Million Insurance Payout

Thomas Fire ash destroys crop; analysis finds asbestos, lead, arsenic, and magnesium.

Next Debris Flow Could Take Different, Unknown Path

"I've never seen this degree of hazard," says Cal Fire scientist.

Biggest Storm Since 1/9 Approaching Santa Barbara

The storm system brings increased threat of flash floods and debris flows.

Jack Johnson Tours Montecito Disaster Area Ahead of Benefit Concert

Jack and Kim Johnson met with Bucket Brigade leaders to see the destruction firsthand.