You may not know that Santa Barbara is becoming a center of gravity for the world’s astronomical community. We didn’t know that either until reporting on the following stories, which include the international network of telescopes headquartered in Goleta and our award-winning stargazing club to Westmont College’s Keck Telescope and the experimental cosmologists out at UCSB. Read on to learn more about our region’s quiet rise to galactic domination.
• Google Mastermind Turns to the Stars - Former computer and web guru Wayne Rosing turns attention to building astronomy powerhouse in Goleta.
• Stand-Out Star Club: Santa Barbara Astronomical Unit - Santa Barbara’s club is named one of the best in the world.
• Stargazing the Summer Sky - Ready to join Santa Barbara’s stargazing masses? Here’s what to look for in the summertime skies.
• Hobbyists to Heroes: Santa Barbara Instrument Group (SBIG) - How five friends went from being telescope amateurs to big-time pros.
• Pleasures of the Planetarium: Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History - Get your starry fix every day this summer.
• Campus Constellations: Astrophysics and Experimental Cosmology at UCSB - Two groups look deep into space to ask how our universe came to be.
• Super Scope: Westmont College Observatory’s Keck Telescope - You’re invited to check out outer space every month.