Cruelty Not Sport

Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Comments

I just saw the cover for your 12/6 to 12/13 issue and wanted to provide feedback that I was quite disturbed by the image of the “rodeo star” aggressively handling the steer. I hope that your paper will be more sensitive to what picture you place on your cover for those who are strongly opposed to animals being used for sport or entertainment. - Kimoko Kuroda

***

I am appalled by your December 6-13 cover story and photo. How is it that rodeo is still considered a sport? If it were dogs and cats being thrown violently to the ground for no reason, would it still be a spectator sport or would it be animal cruelty? - Martha Donelan

Comments

"its ok to eat fish cause they don't have any feelings"
Kurt Cobain

Stumbling_Distance (anonymous profile)
December 12, 2012 at 2:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Have these people no lives? Are they even local readers or just internet activists? You would think the Independent had produced the rodeo! Ladies get a grip, it was a story ON the rodeo. I hate Nazis Left and Right, in case anybody wondered.

December 12, 2012 at 2:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah, Independent.
Quit wrestling cows and get back to telling me stories i like.

Really though, grown men wrestling with little cows,
that is full on hilarity.

greenbanana (anonymous profile)
December 12, 2012 at 4:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Well, gentlemen, and I use that word loosely, there IS such a thing called "animal cruelty" and the way the steer in the photo is being roped, jerked and brutally thrown to the ground is just that. Violent sports and violent men are not attractive anymore and should not be role models for our children. Get a clue.

vlhamilton (anonymous profile)
December 27, 2012 at 9:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Dear Lady Hamilton ( and I use "Lady" as a courtesy)
Please excuse the rest of us who don't associate violence with sexuality.

December 27, 2012 at 11:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

All of you ladies should be ashamed to be calling for censorship. Instead of using the cover as an opportunity to discuss the issues you condemn the messenger. Perhaps you'd be happier in a country with no 1st Amendment protections like Saudi Arabia or Putin's Russia.

December 27, 2012 at 11:35 a.m. (Suggest removal)

VHamlilton: I'll back what Ken says about the sexuality/gender thing/

You prove once again your angry feminist side, and maybe you need to think outside the box.

Yes, I'm a heterosexual male whose single but the last thing I'm concerned about is what's in vogue and being politically correct and playing the "sensitive man" card in order to score with women. The reason I'm disgusted with rodeo is because as others as well as (to your credit) yourself have pointed out, it's barbaric, not because I'm interested in your approval, which based on your previous posts vis-a-vis race and gender, I would never be able to gain anyway.

December 27, 2012 at 7:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

May I add that TRUE feminism is not about the diviseness you preach, but about standing up for equality, and us being brothers and sisters, something the apostate "progressives" often don't practice. I know women who are self-described feminists who do not buy into the generalization you preach.

December 27, 2012 at 7:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I guess it's validating to Kimoko and Martha that their objection to the rodeo is being challenged not in defense of its pointless cruelty and barbarism, but as random personal attacks at them and those who agree with them.

"The rodeo is promoting cruelty; please don't promote the rodeo."
"Oh yeah, well you're a lousy feminist!"
"Um... what?"

Sothep (anonymous profile)
December 28, 2012 at 12:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)