Adam and Chet Taylor of Montecito Motors returned to court Tuesday and had their bail lowered to $100,000 apiece from the original $1 million for each. Joshua Lynn and Joshua Webb, who represent Adam and Chet, respectively, argued for the reduction based on a number of factors.
Both defense attorneys repeatedly pointed out that the men had willingly turned themselves in after meeting with detectives and Senior Deputy District Attorney Brian Cota during the investigation. The lawyers also mentioned 15 positive letters that were submitted to the court on behalf of the Taylors from friends and family, and explained their clients should be released on their own recognizance and are not flight risks.
Lynn said Adam has a wife and two kids at home who he would not abandon. Webb’s case for his client echoed that of Lynn’s, and he also argued that Chet needs to see a doctor twice a week after suffering a heart attack last year. Both attorneys added that while the charges are serious, Adam and Chet are not violent and not a threat to repeat their alleged crimes if released.
Cota disagreed with the notion that both defendants had been completely cooperative during the investigation, saying he felt the Taylors were trying to get out of what they did and had lied to him during the interviews. “We’re pleased that they weren’t released on their own recognizance and there will be at least some bail if they are released,” said Cota after the hearing.
Cota added that if the Taylors do come up with the money, they will be subject to a hearing in which the source of the funds would be analyzed. This is done to assure the money used for bail is not the allegedly stolen money. Additionally, if either man posts bail, he will be subject to court-ordered monitoring.
“As it stands now, he is going to remain in custody,” said Lynn of Adam. Lynn added that he imagines Adam will remain in custody through his next scheduled court appearance on January 13 since he currently has no way to come up with the needed money.