NFL Linebacker Arrested for Alleged Isla Vista Battery

Nawa Koa Misi of the Miami Dolphins in Custody in Florida

Friday, March 30, 2012
Comments

Nawa Koa Misi, a linebacker with the Miami Dolphins, was arrested Friday morning in Florida on a nearly year-old warrant out of Santa Barbara County. Misi, according to the Santa Barbara District Attorney’s Office, was charged with battery with serious bodily injury in April 2011, but never appeared for his arraignment.

According to Drew Sugars of the Santa Barbara Sheriff’s Department, witnesses say that after Misi engaged in an angry shouting match with a group of people on the balcony of an Isla Vista apartment, the 6‘3”, 251-pound linebacker entered the apartment by punching a hole through the wooden front door.

Koa Misi
Click to enlarge photo

Courtesy Photo

Koa Misi

A man sleeping on a couch in the apartment stood up when Misi gained entrance, according to witnesses, and Misi immediately punched him in the face. Misi left, Sugars said, but was followed by a group of females who said he should pay for the damage to the door. One of the women called police, and Misi grabbed her phone and threw it on the ground.

When Sheriff’s deputies arrived, Misi “was cooperative and agreed to pay for the damage,” Sugars said. The next day, the alleged male victim requested charges be filed, and Misi was notified.

Because Misi never showed for his scheduled arraignment, a warrant was issued, and the S.B. Sheriff’s Department “arranged with authorities in Broward County” to arrest Misi, which they did Friday morning, said Sugars.

The 25-year-old is being held in Broward County Jail on $10,000 bail. According to DA Joyce Dudley and Deputy DA Ali Neufer, who is prosecuting the case and spoke with Broward County jail officials Friday, Misi could appear in front of a judge there as early as Friday night. Officials told Neufer that even if he posts bail, Misi may not be released because of the felony warrant.

If he is not released, Misi would either have to waive extradition, or an extradition hearing would have to be held. Los Angeles attorney Adam Braun is believed to be representing Misi. He was not in his office when The Independent called Friday afternoon.

[UPDATE: DA Joyce Dudley said Misi has bailed out of Broward County Jail, and that one of the terms of his release is that he appear in front of a Florida court within 30 days. That hearing will likely get the extradition process rolling, she said.]

Misi had 34 tackles in 12 games last year before his season ended in December after injuring his shoulder. The Dolphins went 6-10. In 2010, he had 41 tackles and five sacks for the Dolphins.

Harvey Greene, senior VP for Media Relations for the Dolphins, said in a statement, “We are aware of the situation and are in the process of gathering information. As a result, we will refrain from any comment.”

Misi, who is from Santa Rosa, played three years of college ball at the University of Utah, where he started 36 out of 38 games. He was the 40th overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft.

If you've been involved in a crime, email crime@independent.com.

Comments

Normally dolphins are very peaceful.

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
March 30, 2012 at 10:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Where Henry Sarria and Ken Mallard (pronounced mal-ARD)Volduck witness to this?

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
March 30, 2012 at 10:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Misi had 34 tackles in 12 games last year before his season ended in December after injuring his shoulder."

His season injured its shoulder? Grammar should be butchered only on television, not in print! Even if Sports is involved.

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 9:37 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm right here & believe me, I had ZERO knowledge that a player from my home team was involved in shenanigans here in IV. Man, would've loved to get his autograph! :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 11:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Mr_Tate: May I quote the great bard Sir Winston Churchill? "Bad grammar is something up of which I will not put".

Mr. Sarria: I believe you have written that you spent your childhood in Miami. You and Misi start out in Miami, then end up in I.V. I suspect he might be stalking you, but it's just a theory.
If Ken grew up in Miami, then he too should take a gander at this.

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 2:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

See downtown doesn't have the market cornered on celebrity scandals, we have our own in IV.
Alas I have never been to Miami but knew Hank would somehow be mixed up in this. he keeps telling the folks back home about the fine cuisine our quaint village offers, and the nightly parade that rivals DisneyWorld's Pink Elephants .

March 31, 2012 at 3:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Lots of fun guys!

A 6'3" 251 pound professional athlete hitting some one in the face is a G-D laugh riot. And breaking down the door to terrorize the inhabitants really sends me over the edge!

I hope Mr. Misi, the man with the oh-so-desirable autograph, finds this equally hysterical:

"Penal Code 243(d) PC California’s "battery causing serious bodily injury" law is a wobbler. A "wobbler" is a crime that may be filed as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on:

- the circumstances of the case, and
- your criminal history.

"If convicted of aggravated battery as a misdemeanor, you face up to one year in a county jail and a maximum $1,000 fine.

"If convicted of aggravated battery as a felony, you face two, three, or four years in the California state prison and a maximum $10,000 fine."

Chester_Arthur_Burnett (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 3:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

(This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of use policy.)

hank (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 7:52 p.m.

Well, muscular tightness notwithstanding, I think Chester has some good points, folks. I'd like to know more about the facts of the alleged offense before I deem it worthy of levity.

Why the levity in the first place? Could it be because the defendant is a professional athlete, and thus because of it gets a pass on dealing with the consequences of this alleged crime, like OJ back in 1994/95? And should we make jokes about it just because the defendant has done great things on the gridiron?

I'd like to think the case will be handled and eventually resolved as any other case with similar circumstances would be, but I already have my doubts. It appears likely to me that the defendant's athletic high profile will overshadow the facts of the case and will make prosecution, and thus the administration of justice, much more difficult.

LegendaryYeti (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2012 at 8:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

To take LegendaryYeti's comment to its logical conclusion (why the levity) let me say "why ANY comments?" I say this because none of us know what happened during that alleged incident.

What is disturbing however, is that Misi went for so long after failing to show for his hearing without being arrested. Then again, why is this any surprise? Look at how Randy and Evi Quaid have thumbed their noses at the legal system.

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2012 at 1:23 a.m. (Suggest removal)

As of this writing FL still hasn't arrested Zimmerman. And I never would have heard of Misi if it weren't for his little frolic here in our sweet lil hamlet.

April 1, 2012 at 3:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

(This comment was removed by the site staff for violation of use policy.)

hank (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2012 at 10:57 p.m.

What a total chump!

Something happens to many pro athletes of all types when they hit the big time. Too much money & glory.

They suddenly feel there are above the law, just like many people who are elected to public office.

The higher they go on the political ladder the more corrupt and in the back pocket of lobbyists they get. Sad, but true.

Barron (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2012 at 10:41 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Well, 3 for 3, let's try once again.

Chester: "Lots of fun guys!"
Yeti: "Why the levity in the first place?"

Yes, LOTS of fun. Why the levity? Simple. Look @ the series of events & you see the words "stupid behavior" written all over it. From the get go, stupid.
Another thing that makes this quite hilarious, well to me anyways: IT AIN'T ME!
I don't feel sorry for ANY of the players in this rash of dumbness, cause & effect played it's role accordingly & whatever consequences came/come from the string of stupidity, they're very well deserved.
So yes, I am laughing my butt off on this, but bummed I never got to meet Mr. Misi during his short stint in my neck of the woods. Better get his autograph before he goes to jail, it'll be worth something in the long run.
Oh, & Chester, lighten up, really, life is too short to be bitter about everything or something as ridiculous as this.
Like me, it ain't YOUR problem, it is the problem of the participants in this round of Isla Vista stupidity.
It ain't YOUR problem, it ain't MY problem, it is THEIR problem, laugh it off guys, it'll do you good.
Gotta love levity of this kind, makes my beer go down better :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2012 at 5:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Draxor (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 8:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Draxor: "Apparently, his big blowhole was blocked by lack of reason and personal responsibility."

Nah, it was unobstructed, that's what let to the angry exchange between all the morons involved.

Draxor: "Another LOSER from a losing team."

The only "losing" team that went undefeated, a record yet to be broken by other "winning" teams. What are you, a Raiders fan? HAHAHA! :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 12:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Mean "led" not "let" :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 12:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

More insight into Hank's world of fantasy, where he's never wrong, and the Dolphins are a winning team:

Miami Dolphins record, last 10 years:

2009 ...... 7 - 9
2010 ...... 7 - 9
2011 ....... 6 - 10
============
Total ... 70 - 90

Chester_Arthur_Burnett (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 2:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hey, Agent Maxwell Anti-Smart, read again:

The ONLY team to go an undefetaed season plus win the Superbowl, something NO other team has done to this day.

That's the ONLY thing I said & yet, in your typically "progressive" ways of hatred & anger do you try to make it something else, which it ain't.
Now go back to your usual dose of bitterness & discontent which we normally know you for.
By the way, still laughing @ this fiasco, how's the gloom & doom working for you? Yep, thought so :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 3:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Not hating or angry, "henry," just amazed and amused at your:

- inability to ever step away from any of your hastily-drawn, illogical assertions and arguments. I bet this is one of your endearing qualities for friends and family;

- your reflexive name-calling toward anyone who points out your numerous errors (which got your comments yanked -- this seems to further frustrate the bull).

Bye for now, sir!

Chester_Arthur_Burnett (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 4:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No need to "sir" me Chestie, haven't knelt before royalty & had that cutlass tap my shoulderblade. You can call me hank, all my friends do.

Jeez, talk about an inability to ever step away from hastily-drawn, illogical assertions and arguments!
Your assuming I meant the Dolphins had winning seasons lately based on a historical fact, it can't get lamer than that on your part. Get a grip there Chestie!

Again, your agenda driven hatred toward anyone not like you (miserable) shows through like the beacon it is.

As for my "reflexive name-calling toward anyone who points out your numerous errors" what errors?
That the Dolphins are the ONLY team w/ an undeafeated season & a Superbowl win to boot?
When you get a chance, break away from Das Kapital & look it up in the sports history books (unless books are banned in your neck of the woods). I'll give you a clue: 1972.
By denying that simple fact, you earn the right to be called names, but when did I ever call you a name?

But here's my favorite: "(which got your comments yanked -- this seems to further frustrate the bull)."

I use caps to emphasize a point, not yell. It helps when the blind like yourself can't see the truth in front of them.

So there Chestie, hope you're happy in the unhappy world you call life. Cheer up chap, someday things will look better, I promise. By the way, still laughing @ this fiasco :) henry

hank (anonymous profile)
April 3, 2012 at 6 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Enough is enough, now the good dolphins will speak.

"Apparently, his big blowhole was blocked by lack of reason and personal responsibility. Another LOSER from a losing team."
-Draxor-

When a dolphin gets his blowhole blocked, he gets desperate. Innocent by reason of insanity.

"Bye for now, sir!"
-Chester_Arthur_Burnett-

"No need to "sir" me Chestie, haven't knelt before royalty & had that cutlass tap my shoulderblade." -Hank/Henry/Conde (Count) Enrique-

Chester_Arthur_Burnett (
Chester Alan Arthur Burnett sounds like royalty...or he could have been our 21st president crossed with Carol Burnett.

On the other hand, the new improved 2013 (soon-to-be-out) version of "Hank" is actually the eighth update of Hank so in fact it's the late Henry VIII* and that DOES sound like royalty to me.

*Henry VIII (28 June 1491 – 28 January 1547) was King of England from 21 April 1509 until his death

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
April 4, 2012 at 9:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Meant to say "Chester Alan Arthur Burnett"

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
April 4, 2012 at 9:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"The reason it appears some comments got yanked was for the use of caps, this is supposed "flaming" which is "yelling" in internet speak. Well, that & maybe the mention of a certain muscle."... -Hank-

...Ironic when there are such usernames as the following...

fivedolphins (anonymous profile)
April 5, 2012 at 1:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)