Man Rolls Truck While Driving Self to Hospital

Injured During Home Construction Job

Tuesday, October 9, 2012
Comments

A 29-year-old Santa Barbara man, who severely injured himself during a residential construction job, passed out behind the wheel of his car Monday morning as he tried to drive himself to the hospital.

The San Roque resident was pulling up flooring in his home when a board flew up and hit him in the face, causing a deep laceration. Instead of calling 911, he jumped in his 1997 Toyota 4-Runner and made his way to Cottage Hospital, but when he looked in the rear view mirror and saw the severity of his wound — coupled with blood loss and the pain he was experiencing — the man lost consciousness near State Street and Alamar Avenue.

The truck swerved off the roadway, ran up an embankment, hit a pole, and flipped on its side. Police responded to the scene within one minute and found the man trapped within. Rescue personnel removed him from the vehicle from the passenger door and transported him to the hospital.

No other vehicles were involved in the accident.

Comments

Ah, nothing like the satisfaction you get from the money saved by doing your own home repair.

Botany (anonymous profile)
October 9, 2012 at 1:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh, man, Botany. Kinda mean. But funny, too.
I hope this guy is going to be okay. He shouldn't have looked at the wound.

chilldrinfthenight (anonymous profile)
October 9, 2012 at 8:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I work on Alamar and was told by a co-worker about the accident only seconds after it happened. I was unable to leave my duties (couldn't go gawk!), but I did notice that it took a very long time before I heard any sirens. If police were on the scene within one minute, they did so very quietly!

cybakerSB64 (anonymous profile)
October 10, 2012 at 8:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The funniest story in weeks. The guy lets call him Cheap Charlie is prying up a floor board versus cutting it with a sawzall. He is too cheap to hire a guy from the wall who knows how it is done right so he decides to save the $120 and do it himself. Then he hits himself in the head with the board. Being the Cheap Charlie he thinks I will save the $100 deductible for the ambulance so he starts driving and crashes and totals his car. Now he has the ambulance fee, the ER fee, the hospilization fee, the car deductible and the loss of value to the car since it is now totalled. Smart move saving that $120 for a day laborer - Cheap don't always win out. And it is even funnier as I write it out.

jimnick (anonymous profile)
October 10, 2012 at 11:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"The funniest story in weeks." @jimnick

Lacerations are hilarious...especially when someone cuts their own face up real bad working on their house. That makes me laugh harder than anything. The only thing that tickles my funny bone more than a facial laceration is trauma caused by a motor vehicle accident. I hope someone caught this all on camera so that they can submit it to America's Funniest Home Videos. The only way this could be funnier is if he had died am I right?

Kingprawn (anonymous profile)
October 10, 2012 at 1:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sounds like he went from Guate-MALA to Guate-PEOR. All my spanish speakers will know what I mean.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
October 10, 2012 at 1:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Those of you that think this is funny should be ashamed, I found it sad. I hope he recovers fully

CManSB (anonymous profile)
October 12, 2012 at 12:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)