Fire Breaks Out Tuesday at Peabody Charter School

Late Tuesday morning, a fire broke out in a water heater closet at Peabody Charter School. The gas water heater had, according to a fire department investigation, ignited combustible materials stored close by. Fire crews responded at 11 a.m. A smoke detector alerted school employees, who evacuated the campus. The fire serendipitously melted a waterline on a water softener, which then leaked water and kept the fire in check until firefighters extinguished it. Nobody was injured.

To submit a comment on this article, email or visit our Facebook page. To submit information to a reporter, email

Be succinct, constructive, and relevant to the story. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Discussion Guidelines. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.

comments powered by Disqus
event calendar sponsored by:

Family Sues Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office For Wrongful Death

Five deputies shot Bryan Carreño 20 times.

County Race for Auditor-Controller Turns Ugly

An unexpected bloodbath erupts between Jen Christensen and Betsy Schaffer.

Gun Restraining Order Used 20 Times in Santa Barbara County

Only Los Angeles County used the order more frequently.

Four Westside Candidates Vie for City Council Seat

The election for a District 3 representative will be held on June 5.

City Extends Permit Fast-Track Program

Storefront vacancies have dropped 2 percent since program launched in August.