After a few weeks of seemingly shark-free days since sightings were a regular summer occurrence in Santa Barbara, an area surfer late Wednesday afternoon sighted a 14-foot shark at the entrance of the harbor. According to city officials, he was “surfing at the sandspit when the shark surfaced and ‘charged’ directly in front of him, but not at him.”
The surfer told authorities he could see the entire top part of the shark — estimating they were in water six feet deep — and that it seemed to be chasing prey. He quickly left the ocean then watched from shore, seeing the shark surface again and make a second rush, authorities said.
As per the protocol that was implemented this summer after a body-boarder was killed by a shark last year at Surf Beach, warning signs will be posted at area beaches for the next 72 hours.