One of Santa Barbara’s very own high school drumline teams made it to the semifinals of the world’s foremost competition for percussion groups this week, and today, the San Marcos High School Percussive Ensemble banged their drums with pomp and power in Dayton, Ohio, to finish 10th in the Winter Guard International’s Percussion World Championships.
According to San Marcos’ coach Michael Kiyoi, the students had been working tirelessly for months, averaging an incredible 16 to 20 hours a week in preparation. “It never ceases to amaze me how talented and motivated they are,” said Kiyoi. “They keep the bar high and progressing.”
The team will be hosting a public performance on Tuesday, April 30, at San Marcos High.
More like this story
- San Marcos Marching Band Victories Lead to Community Performance December 7
- San Marcos Marching Band and Color Guard Win at Moorpark High Field Competition
- San Marcos High School Marching Band and Color Guard Win Gold
- High School Marching Band Wins Big
- San Marcos Marching Band and Colorguard Best in Southern California