Be Warned

Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Comments

I would really appreciate it if those who are religious would stop pushing their beliefs on those who are more spiritual but don’t believe in going to a building to pray. I have only been here for a few months, and being a single woman, I always feel like a target.

I was walking on the beach one morning, minding my own business, and a person approached me claiming to be religious, but he was only trying to get me to pay money for a supplement business. When I declined to pay for the business, he became very nasty and started to make me feel guilty for being single.

This is the main reason why I avoid churches altogether — for reasons like this. I have been trying to be as polite as possible, but the next person who tries to push their religious beliefs on me is going to be surprised when I tell them to F off.

Comments

Vicky sounds like a delightful addition to Santa Barbara...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
August 28, 2013 at 8:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I agree. I'm tired of other peoples religion being forced on me. I want freedom from religion in addition to freedom of religion.

discoboy (anonymous profile)
August 28, 2013 at 10:32 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I was being sarcastic disco. Perhaps in my daily jaunts in and about SB I am the only person not being harassed by religious zealots. Maybe it's the pentagram tattooed on my forehead along with my Goth look...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
August 28, 2013 at 2:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dear Victoria -

You seem very confused.
It doesn't sound like this person was pushing their religion on you but instead was pushing their product sales on you.

Not a single church-goer I have ever known has ever "pushed" religion on me.

And why is the independent publishing a story about a guy on the beach using a vague reference to religion to sell products?

willy88 (anonymous profile)
August 28, 2013 at 5:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Welcome to S.B. Victoria. Here's the deal: There are a lot of mentally ill people in Santa Barbara, and you're likely to encounter them on the beach. Some of them will claim to have the right religion, some will claim to be the Messiah, and some will claim John F. Kennedy is living in the Faulding Hotel.

Second, I have had minimal problems with people "pushing" religion but in a free country, you pay the price of interacting with people whose opinions differ from yours so if you're so thin-skinned that the occasional encounter with such a person sends you into orbit, you have far greater problems than the people you criticize.

Third: I have people "pushing" their politics on me all the time, when they do, I simply poltely turn them away, or refute their opinions. My advice: Lighten up, and don't be so full of yourself, or go somewhere that is a little less religious. (After all, Southern California IS the Bible Belt, no?)

August 28, 2013 at 7:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You tell 'em to F off, Victoria! If their religiotronic formula dictates that they recite at you special Words surpassing human understanding, then show them a bit of spirit!

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
August 29, 2013 at 4:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I think I saw Vicky sleeping in the alley between the art museum and the library.

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
August 29, 2013 at 6:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Pyramid schemes are cults too. Some (all?) Mona Vie stake sellers claimed that stake buyers usually came to the Lord that way (ergo buying in makes one an effective evangelist). It shouldn't be surprising if successor schemes try a religious hook.

Victoria, "trying to be as polite as possible" takes its toll on almost everyone. (The Dalai Lama is no Bill Clausen.) Very likely, you're talking about encounters with the very earnest Mormons and JW's. BTW, they don't pray in churches, they pray in temples and Kingdom Halls.

I put a little sign on my door saying "No JW's," & was woken up by Mormons instead. I croaked "You guys are the functional equivalent of Jehovah's Witnesses," and the reply was a VERY earnest "Oh, no, sir! Really, we're not!" JW's & Mormons probably exasperate eachother.

Next parking lot JW to approach me is gonna hear "Witnessing is something you do with your eyes, not your mouth. When did you first forget THAT?" But no doubt they have a trans-rational patch for that too. What would work? Maybe "Wash my car and I'll go to Kingdom Hall with you." ("Yes, really.") Any suggestions?

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
August 29, 2013 at 8:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

OK, so they know they're annoying, but they care more deeply about our eternal souls. A selfless sacrifice, right? They can't conceive of the reality that they're insulting our intellectual honesty and existential fortitude. What they cling to must be real, vs suicide. Arrigth then, so forbearance is our sole option that's not obscenely ignoble. Fine. I hereby define forbearance as not casting liquid or solid substances upon their persons. You're welcome, twits!

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
August 29, 2013 at 7:57 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"The Dalai Lama is no Bill Clausen".

You mean to tell me that you waited 35 years to tell me that?! I wish I'd known that back in the days when you and I and MML were sprinting up Oliver Rd.

August 29, 2013 at 11:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

OK, here's one for "witness" marks who just won't be civil: "No thanks, I EVOLVED from a monkey." This post won't offend (m)any JW's, since they're busy sounding out Watchtower tracts.

My, how these matters prey upon the mind.... excluding Bill Clausen's.

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
August 30, 2013 at 2:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

You once told me "you're the Lord junior Bill".

August 30, 2013 at 5:57 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I kind of like the JW's and their Watchtower comic book. They are ALWAYS polite, neat and clean and dress their kids up in lil's business suits instead of strapping C4 to their tiny chests.
I wonder if there is a Muslim extremist version of the JW's? Neat, clean, respectful little suicide bombers...

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
August 30, 2013 at 6:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I've had JW's come up to my door. I politely debate them and point out how their version of Christianity doesn't square up with the Bible. Eschatology discussions leave them wondering.

Another way to deal with them is to politely say "I don't have time to talk but leave me some literature and if I'm interested I'll get in touch with you".

August 31, 2013 at 5:34 a.m. (Suggest removal)