The Santa Barbara County Fire Department has some suggestions to help you prepare your children for being home alone.
• Make sure your home is secure. Make sure all locks are in working order.
• Check your home for fire hazards.
• Make sure smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are in working order.
• Make sure matches, lighters and any flammable liquids are stored out of reach of children.
• Develop a home escape plan and practice it with your children.
• A first aid kit should be stored where it can be found easily. Teach children basic first aid for minor cuts, burns or bleeds.
• Compile a list of important phone numbers and post them in a prominent place.
• Your child should know his or her phone number, address and any other information that could be helpful in an emergency.
• Spend time teaching your children personal safety rules. The “What If?” game will help them recognize and develop responses to certain situations.
• Establish house rules for your children.
• Check with your school for summer school programs that might be offered.
The Santa Barbara County Fire Department reminds parents that children’s time home alone can be safe and secure with some planning.
Captain David Sadecki
News Line 805.681-5546
All Santa Barbara County Fire Department Public Service Announcements are available at www.sbcfire.com