Panga boat discovered on Tajiguas Beach

SBSO

Panga boat discovered on Tajiguas Beach

Another Panga Found on Tajiguas Beach

Discovered by Patrol Deputy Monday Morning

Monday, June 17, 2013
Comments

Yet another abandoned panga boat has been found in the Refugio State Beach area — the third in recent months — early Monday morning. According to Sheriff’s spokesperson Kelly Hoover, a patrol deputy spotted the single-engine, 25-foot vessel on the shoreline of Tajiguas Beach at 6:54 a.m.

“Investigators found items of potential evidence inside and strewn about the surrounding beach,” said Hoover, “including numerous fuel containers, clothing, and other miscellaneous trash type items.” But she noted that based on the evidence found at the scene, it was difficult to determine if the boat was used to smuggle drugs or illegal immigrants.

Crews with California State Parks, Homeland Security Investigations, and the U.S. Coast Guard all responded to the scene. Officials removed the panga and debris and continue to investigate the incident.

Comments

Another BS panga story! Darn it, they didn't even bother to take pictures of any of the "evidence" that was supposedly "found"! (Maybe they didn't want to have to explain why the super sophisticated cartels always act like amatures once they land on a California beach!)

And what a coincidence - this panga just happens to have been found by an "off duty" Sheriff's deputy! Unless there's actual "evidence" that ANYTHING "illegal" was actually done with this panga, the person who found it gets to claim it as found property after 90 days. Yay! That's one less boat that we'll have to buy for the Sheriff's little navy!

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 17, 2013 at 10:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Has anybody heard rumors of a Citizen's Auxilliary Navy being formed, to operate a blockade of the California Coast? Armed civilians in weekend craft patrolling the coast.. nutty. Total bs.

June 18, 2013 at 1:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If it is true, I feel sorry for the poor delusional fools willing to "guard" us from a contrived "threat" like this - the southern land border is just as porous as ever, and there simply isn't any logical explanation for this weird panga invasion other than justifying grants to local LE agencies.

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 6:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

BTW, isn't it interesting that the PIO's story has already changed from an off duty SBCS deputy "found" the panga to a "patrol deputy spotted" it - would love to know how he was able to see a boat on the beach while on "patrol". (Unless he was patrolling the beach - if so, when did such patrols start? I've never heard anything about them.)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 7:26 a.m. (Suggest removal)

spiritwalker I see your off your meds again.

What makes you think they didn't take pictures? Or are you just jumping to your delusional conclusions again?

I have a plan for you spiritwalker, since they have hit Tajiguas beach 3 times I suggest you set up an around the clock surveillance mission to catch these criminals (I mean government operatives) and expose them to us. Hey, maybe you will be able to share in the Panga grant fest. Then open up a business with all the Panga boats found and call it "Spiritwalkers Panga rentals for government setups"......

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 8:02 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't need to set up an around the clock anything - I already KNOW this whole panga thing is nothing but a farce!

As I've stated previously, my only interest in this is the truth, and the truth is that this is a contrived excuse for the Sheriff and a bunch of other pigs to feed at the "grant money" trough. Why does that upset you so much? Are you a pig too, Priceless? Am I pissing you off by pointing out that the public is being fed a line of BS so the SBSO and others can get their shiny new toys? What's your angle smart guy? (And do you have ANYTHING but name calling and ridicule to hurl at me? I suspect not, else you'd have said something intelligent a long time ago.)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 8:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Name calling?? I guess with your meds way out wack the word "Pig" isn't a harmful useless word to describe a profession that protects the public. I know spiritwalker,it is difficult for someone like you to understand this with a delusional view of the world.

First, the Sheriff doesn't get grants for panga's. These boats come from off-shore to our local beaches. That is a federal issue and response. The Sheriff has to respond once they hit the shore because that is what the public expects.

Second, I have no idea what you are talking about in regards to "Shiny new toys" can you elaborate? Please be coherent in your response.

Third, to your comment of, "What's your angle smart guy?" No angle, just pointing out the hypocrisy in your responses of name calling which you do regularly in every post you write about all the people you dislike.

Forth, I've pointed out to you many times and written in length my observations and theories as to my opinions in subjects you obviously have zero knowledge in but claim to be an expert.

Fifth, to your comment of, "Am I pissing you off". No, I'm actually LMAO watching you have a meltdown on something you have zero control over but claim to have an expert opinion that Black helicopters/government operatives and Sheriff planted panga's are plaguing are local beaches.

Sixth, I'll keep responding to your ridiculous claims of "plantings" until you come up with "Intelligent" evidence to prove your tinfoil hat theories.

And last, what Paul Harvey would say, "For what its worth, Good day"...

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 10:02 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh please, you're the one going on and about me being off my meds - what do you actually know about my medical condition? NOTHING, that's what! (If I occasionally put some bit of personal info about myself, its only as bait for people like you who have no argument except for personal attacks!)

As for the Sheriff not receiving grant money for pangas, you're either completely clueless or a bald faced liar - it IS an absolute fact that the SBSO received Homeland Security grant money under Operation Stonegarden in January of this year. The only question is how much. As for exactly what kind of shiny new toy the Sheriff wants, it's quite obvious from the Sheriff's public statements that he REALLY wants a fancy new "go fast" boat to chase pangas with!

Beyond that, I'm not going to waste any time responding to the rest of your rant because the conversation will only devolve into sort of nonsensical bickering disinfo specialists such as yourself always resort to - I'll respond to one point at a time and you can take the rest of your straw man arguments and shove 'em!

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 11:08 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I forgot to mention that since 9/11/2001, Santa Barbara county has received more than $7.3 million in Homeland Security grants - the bulk of it probably went to the SBSO, but the Sheriff doesn't really mention financial details in his fancy annual report so we'll probably never know how much he squandered on new toys and gadgets.

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 11:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Here's a partial list of some of the fancy doodads and gadgets that've been bought with federal grant money in SB county. (Note that info isn't available until after the money is spent, so it'll be a while before we find out about all the stuff they'll NEVER actually use for anything but photo ops!)

4 Handheld chemical agent monitors - $35,000
6 Radiation monitoring equipment - $9,450
2 Open circuit SCBA - $15,786
12 Auto-vent ventilators - $22,502
217 liquid chemical splash resistant clothing - $52,302
210 negative pressure respirators - $44,013
4 Search cameras - $39,000

The list goes on, but I think you get the idea.

Is this "coherent" enough for you, Priceless? (Is it okay if I call you PIO for short? I mean, that is who I'm talking to, right? If not, please explain why you're so devoted to spewing propaganda.)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow, such an angry little man/women...... You want to talk about "Rants" Really???

I feel sorry for you spiritwalker you are such an angry lost soul in your make believe world of hidden agenda's, toy buying splurges and lying about your medical condition to bait people. Your own writings of "(If I occasionally put some bit of personal info about myself, its only as bait for people like you who have no argument except for personal attacks!)" is suspect enough in not believing anything you say in the first place.

Let me get this right, You'll lie about yourself to fool people for some demented reasoning of "baiting" people then turn around and make absolute unsubstantiated accusations of wrong doing and PRESENT NOT ONE SHRED OF EVIDENCE OF ANYTHING YOU SAY.... That's brilliant!!!

Yes spiritwalker your right. Maybe the Fed's should have spent that money on "Operation Cuckoo" to help little lost souls such as yourself...

Please seek immediate mental health supervision.

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

There's often not a shred of evidence for anything you post Priceless, don't be a hypocrite.

June 18, 2013 at 12:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Lets just say for the sake of an argument that the list you presented is actually "Sheriff's" Dept. equipment which I don't believe. This list looks like something the Fire dept. would buy but that's just me because as you say, "fancy doodads and gadgets that've been bought with federal grant money in SB county."

I still don't connect the dots of your first post of wrong doing. And of course you won't respond to any of my other points because you can't defend anything you say with actual proof.

I'd rather be a "Straw man" who lives in the world of reality than the demented world of black helicopters and government operatives living in my closet....

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:40 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Here we go again - you have no logical way to refute facts, so you resort to personal attacks. Keep trying though, and maybe some day you'll come up with something besides straw man arguments and ad hominem rhetoric. Meanwhile, I'm going to bury you with so many facts, anyone with an IQ higher than their shoe size will be able to see you're just blowing smoke!

See folks, $7 million wasted on useless gadgetry and all the PIO can do talk about me. (Actually, calling her a disinfo specialist is giving an undeserved complement - a child in grade school could do better than the PIO's spluttering nonsense!)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Good to see ya Ken!!

Gosh, isn't this fun!! We have spiritwalker and Ken defending black ops.. You too should make a movie about your findings. I'm sure Comedy Central would pay you well........

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I guess I better buy a shovel with all the facts your going to bury me with...

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 12:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Come on spiritwalker keep those facts coming my shovel is empty!!!!

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 1 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer said this about the US/Mexican border in an interview on Fox News 2/22/13 (Note, I do NOT watch Fox News, that's just where they did the interview.):

"I was just down there last week. I was with the National Guard. I was in a Blackhawk. I saw them on the other side, the drug cartels, ready to come across in the middle of the night. It is not secure...."

Wow, is the Governor of Arizona off her meds? Is she a wild conspiracy theorist for pointing out that the land border is STILL wide open? Or is she just being a an old bitch for poking holes in the nonsensical idea that the cartels are using pangas, because "increased enforcement efforts" have made it "too hard" to simply drive truckloads of contraband across the border?

Or is Governor Brewer just being mean to poor little Precious? (Enquiring minds want to know!)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 1:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Your comment Priceless about my supposedly defending "black ops" in itself illustrates your reading comprehension level since nowhere did I even address that topic specifically; only your own hypocrisy in, as demonstrated not having facts to support your posts.
Brewer is a beast.

June 18, 2013 at 1:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What the hell does Jan Brewer have to do with anything?? And when did I EVER say the border was secure?? The border between Arizona and Mexico is dirt!! They don't have panga's in Arizona.. Are we on the same planet?? Do you believe the cartels are only moving their product via Arizona?? Get with the program here spiritwalker... Let me say this once and for all, "THE BORDER IS WIDE OPEN!!!!"

No kidding Ken.. My comprehension is just fine when it comes to reading your post of, "An armed Citizen's Auxilliary Navy being formed". Where did you hear this? Sounds like something spiritwalker would say..

My facts support themselves and as I've always said, "Check these facts for yourself, don't take my words alone." But then again that takes initiative.

Oh, and BTW spiritwalker since you have dubbed me PIO I must use my new found super powers you've given me and I will be contacting the NSA and have them send me all your information regarding e-mails, phone records and secret passwords..........

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 1:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I also said the Citizen's Auxilliary Navy was total bs .

June 18, 2013 at 1:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

But maybe these Pangas are evidence of CAN (Citizen's Auxilliary Navy)?

June 18, 2013 at 1:57 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh now you did it Ken. spiritwalker took your comment and babbled on and on about it saying, "(Unless the real aim is to set up some kind of surveillance grid at the beach or even militarizing it. God help us all if that's where this is headed!)"

I'm buying stock in tin foil...........

I must go to work now at my new job as the Sheriff's PIO. Fooling the public at the local law enforcement level to get federal funding from the wacky democrats who plague Calif. is a full time job.

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 2:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Is it bald faced or bold faced?

Also, I have a hard time believing someone is planting panga's.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 2:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Along with Vineyards, Panga Plantations are the newest agricultural rage in SB.

June 18, 2013 at 2:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

If the arrival of Panga boats on the coasts of Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo County is a conspiracy perpetrated by the Santa Barbara County Sheriff's Department, I have some questions:
1. Who actually purchases the panga boats and from where are they purchased?
2. Does the cost of the panga boats come out of the Sheriff's budget? If so, is the business manager at the Sheriff's Department one of the many conspirators?
3. Were the panga boat passengers that were captured in Montano de Oro State Park in SLO County actually actors (and conspirators) pretending to be panga boat passengers?
Without any intent to disparage Spiritwalker in any way, and with all due respect, the panga boat conspiracy theory just does not make sense to me. To accept the theory as even plausible, we are required to accept the existence of facts that are not supported by any evidence. It makes much more sense to believe that the panga boats are what they appear to be, which are very sea-worthy vessels brought here from Mexico in order to circumvent the process of legal entry into the United States.

Eckermann (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 4:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Congratulations obfuscators, this conversation has degenerated into the sort of endless babble that you people thrive on!

As usual, instead of responding to the numerous facts I've already presented, the dissemblers expect little old me to prove that there's some vast conspiracy involved in this panga hoax. I don't have to PROVE jacksh*it! I'll just keep raising the same legitimate questions, and you guys will keep dodging them - eventually even the slowest person imaginable will see that there's absolutely no reason for Mexicans to try to sail a motorized rowboat to the central coast of Cali! (Except that the SBSO wants to get a fancy new "first responder" boat like the one Orange county's Sheriff just bought for $450,000!)

Inconvenient fact number one:

Mexican weed is worthless - California is awash in medical marijuana, yet LEOs continue to insult our intelligence with these preposterous allegations of 200 mile journeys to bring this dirt weed up here. (Notice how they can come up with silly conspiracy theories about "county wide drug taxes for street gangs", but they can't account for the drug cartels dumping boatloads of weed all over our beaches and just leaving it there - talk about Keystone cops, these guys are hilarious!)

Fire away, mental midgets!

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 5 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh yeah, I completely forgot to address the whole "if the pangas are a conspiracy, we would've heard from a whistle blower" dodge. Here goes:

Edward Snowden (the guy who just outed the NSA's spying program) - I don't know how many thousands of people had access to the same info as this guy, but he is the ONLY one to come forward. WHY? Because he had a security clearance - virtually EVERYTHING done by the federal security/police state IS CLASSIFIED. So obviously anyone involved in this silly panga hoax is going to keep their mouth shut if they want to stay out of prison. (And anyone who brings this up again will only get a big duh from me.)

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 5:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Endless babble. Irony, thy name is spiritwalker.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 8:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

lawdy, let me guess, you're career law enforcement and you've been sitin' around all day tryin' to think of that one snappy come back that will put me in my place once and for all, right?

Well, whatever you were trying to do, MEXICAN POT IS WORTHLESS! THERE"S NO REASON TO BRING IT HERE IN BOATS! GET OVER IT AND FIND SOME OTHER WAY TO SCAM GRANT MONEY!!!

spiritwalker (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 8:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't use marijuana, but I checked with a friend who does, and apparently, regardless of being "awash in weed," it is still much more expensive than back in the days when I used to buy it (even factoring in inflation). In fact, it appears to be very expensive. I'll stick to whiskey. Considering what someone can get for mere ounce of the stuff, I do not find it implausible at all that someone would attempt to smuggle it into the U.S, via panga boat. Spiritwalker, you appear angry and to have a profound animus against the law enforcement authorities. Could your grumpiness be clouding your ability to look at the world logically? By the way, please don't accuse me of being a law enforcement officer. I would have never passed the background check.

Eckermann (anonymous profile)
June 18, 2013 at 9:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Eckermann: How long ago did you buy it? Did you buy sinsemilla or save the bag of seeds included in an ounce? 2-5% THC or current 15-36%? Minimum wage hasn't increased significantly in the last four decades, but the living wage has, and growing cannabis is a time-consuming job, although cannabis growers aren't as greedy as cops, as far as I know. The cost of transportation and the price of land and fertilizer have increased significantly in the last four decades, as well as the cost of legal defense for the small percentage of producers the government charges us a constantly increasing number of dollars to track down, arrest, convict, and incarcerate, while the supply of and demand for cannabis increases. The cost of domestic cannabis has increased as a result of these, but I'm not sure if the cost of THC has. Cartel control of the Mexican cannabis market controls price, and I doubt that production costs are significant. Panga boats washing up on the beach filled with pot seem analogous to cruise ships powered by thousands of men using oars relative to the scale and sophistication of ongoing drug trafficing in the channel over past decades. I'd be more likely to believe they're used to distract LE from more significant smuggling if I could convince myself that neither satellites, IR, radar, or any other technology available to local LE, DHS, DEA, Vandenburg AFB, Coast Guard ,US Navy personnel working on classified projects on the islands, or any other civilian or government resource were capable of detecting these panga boats before they were beached. The remaining option is the belief that our knowledge of the boats' existence is the result of serendipity - an unplanned meeting of a sheriff's deputy and a panga boat on the beach at a unique point in space and time.
It could lead one to believe in an intelligent universe if LE weren't involved.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 12:41 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Of course all this conversation would be nullified if the U.S. had the common sense to re-legalize pot.

June 19, 2013 at 1:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm sure we'd all find something else to bicker about.

June 19, 2013 at 2:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@billclausen, I think you'll find this episode of Planet Money, Marijuana Arbitrage, supports your views on re-legalizing pot:

This episode was also rebroadcast on This American Life.

June 19, 2013 at 8:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

A couple thoughts in the #$%@#ing contest:

What is the value of worthless weed when you have nothing to start with? I am sure a few tons of it and the transportation fee paid is a handsome sum for some of our neighbors down south.

I don't think these panga's have large electronic signatures. Not a whole lot metallic on them and they are very low on the water.

There is no way, Ollie North or anyone else is planting panga's so the Sheriff can have more toys.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 9:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm not the one name calling it's all you, "Fire away, mental midgets!"

Yes, hypocrisy never ends. So buy stock in tin foil. I here it's going up...

Priceless (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 10:01 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I bicker, therefore I am. Whew, what a thread, the thread wars barge forward. Spirit, you've never answered Eckermann's good questions 6/18/13 at 4:11 pm... the panga boat conspiracy theory is banal and not worth responding to.
However, agreed there's plenty of useless gadgetry, that the various gov't entitites want to get funding to interdict whatever, and BC is totally correct that with decriminalized mj laws we would only have illegal immigrants to worry about.
are the drones, assassinating over 4000 Muslims, "useless gadgetry" -- let's debate something more vital that pangas.

June 19, 2013 at 5:55 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I do like the photo, forlorn lil Panga boat: whispered and talked about, condemned for merely being..

June 19, 2013 at 6:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Alas, the continuing pangas of sorrow.

Draxor (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 8:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No panga no ganja

June 19, 2013 at 8:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow!... I'm new here to posting. However, I'm a long time Indy reader and SB resident (27 years). Anyhow, I finally found an article & comments worth replying. With that:

Ken, I've read a lot of your posts. While I disagree with you 99.9% of the time. Your comment on 6-18-13 @ 2:53 was ahhh, err.. "Priceless". That was the funniest and most accurate statement I have ever heard. I commend you for your wit. If we should meet on the "comment battlefield", I shall bow to you, as a show of respect, prior to disagreeing with you.

Eckermann- Your comment makes the most sense. But, as they say, "Common sense is not so common."

Priceless- I believe I know you. If so, you are correct in all of your posts, here and at work. However, jeez dude! Don't you realize you'll never be able to get your "common sense" correct points out to these "sheeple". They live in their dream world and will never understand/comprehend the realities of the real world.

Remember, what happens in the rest of the world has no effect on the folks of Santa Barbara. They are superior and better than everyone else.... Until a major disaster/crisis occurs and their "progressive" ideas fail worse than their Messiah president.

Spiritwalker- Hmmm, how do I say this without offending you or having you think I'm the SBSO PIO? This will be difficult, I'm sure. Anyhow, your comment on 6-18-13 @ 12:17 of items purchased by the County of SB. Those are not items to be used by law enforcement. Those sound like fire department items to me. But, that's just common sense talking (see "common sense" comment above).

As far as your conspiracy theory that the SBSO is behind all the panga boats... I refer you to Eckermann's post.

Oh man, I can't help it... I'm beat and tired of trying to be politically correct towards you Spiritwalker..... Your a "Frickin' Nut"!!!

Thanks All for having me and welcoming me to your "Indy Comment World". Keep it up! Whether you agree with my comments or I agree with yours. That's what's great about our country.... for now.

Live Long and Prosper!...... That's the most politically correct send off I could come up with.😜

ChrisR (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 10:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Please excuse the one "grammatical" mistake I could find in the review of my initial comment....at this time. Ken, I was referring to your comment on 6-19-13 @2:53, not 6-18-13 @ 2:53.

I normally would not post such a minor typographical error. However (comma) I don't want to give Spiritwalker any frivolous ammunition. "Ammunition" being a negative word, I know.

Spiritwalker- Respectfully, please do me a favor, if you will. Watch this video & give me your opinion. I request your opinion on this man's interview. I will "Totally" respect your comments and will NOT criticise you for your opinion.

Click in Link: http://youtu.be/aJ12PN81xnI

You will see/hear understand the meaning behind my previous comments.

All those that read this comment. Please respect what a great man Chris Kyle was and.... "Higher" being, Rest His Soul".

ChrisR (anonymous profile)
June 19, 2013 at 11:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Thank you kind Chris.

June 20, 2013 at 12:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)