Obama’s Secrets

Thursday, June 27, 2013
Comments

One doesn’t know whether to laugh or cry at Nick Welsh’s recent editorial tip-toeing around the most recent evidence of tyrannical corruption by Barack Obama. For years, Welsh and the other editors of your supposedly liberal publication have hidden your heads in the sand regarding Obama’s

* continuation and enhancement of George W. Bush’s practices of prisoner-rendition-and-torture,

* continuation and enhancement of Bush’s practices of wholesale spying on American citizens who are under suspicion of nothing illegal,

* massive escalation of Bush’s government police actions against those who expose the country’s shameful deeds that have been held secret,

* seeking to make it legal for the government to lie to petitioners using the Freedom of Information Act as to whether the government has a document in its possession and

* keeping secret the government’s “interpretation” of the Patriot Act, so that no one can see and judge just how he deals with his country’s people

* continuation and enhancement – in violation of International Law and the US Constitution - of Bush’s practice of unlimited detainment of prisoners without trial and without charge.

All of this – all – was documented and in plain view before the election of 2012. Recent events have only expanded the evidence. I write this as one who voted for Obama in 2008, not having had the prescience of Noam Chomsky, who has said anyone who knew Obama’s previous record would have known what to expect from him. But I refuse to continue to be a fool or a progressive milk-toast, unlike the stewards of your publication and many of your readers.

Comments

kick ass letter

redbunz (anonymous profile)
June 27, 2013 at 3:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I agree with the author's points about Obama. As for Welsh, he simply stated facts and did not say whether or not he will continue to support Obama/the party machine that has made all these violations possible so lacking this information, none of us can pass judgement on Welsh in this matter.

Having said that, anybody who complains about these violations and continues to vote for any politicians who supports these laws is a hypocrite. The old excuse about "he/she can't win" or "I'd be throwing my vote away" isn't going to cut it.

Obama voted for the re-authrozation of the Patriot Act in 2006, something his Hollywood cheerleaders conveniently omitted when they anointed him as their savior.

I actually VOTED Libertarian in this last election, and didn't just talk about our lost freedoms and the slaughter of innocents abroad. I'm not saying whether anyone reading this has to agree with me on that point, and if you have another party/candidate you prefer, I'm open to discussion, but if they support imperialism, the war on drugs, the Patriot Act, or the National Defense Authorization Act, please don't waste my time.

June 27, 2013 at 6:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

1. Where are the lib-dem drum beating neo-hippy occupier street rants and parades protesting Obama "nazism", etc.?
Hypocritical, unprincipled crickets.

2. Where are all the Independent columnists loudly protesting the list in the letter above?
Hypocritical, unprincipled crickets.

They are busy voting and writing about and supporting massive federal government expansion and deficit spending all in the name of making themselves feel better and more superior (they care more than you do) to those horrible conservative Republicans and mad-hatter Tea Party types.

willy88 (anonymous profile)
June 28, 2013 at 6:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Gosh willy88, ya think the Progressives are less than vociferous in their critiques now that Obama has turned out to be a dictator? That's impossible, they're the protectors of the "little guy" and are holding the line of the "minority against the majority". The mere fact that you are pointing out the obvious means you are unworthy of free speech.
"If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to be afraid of". It's interesting that the extreme left and right are always closer to each other in terms of ultimate impact.

italiansurg (anonymous profile)
June 28, 2013 at 7:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

bc: I don't know if you misread or just missed Smithers' comments about Obama. Smithers' listed some of the "most recent evidence of (Obama's) tyrannical corruption", stated that "Welsh and the other editors of your supposedly liberal publication have hidden your heads in the sand regarding Obama’s" actions. I think you did a good job reiterating Smithers' (and my) complaint, that we currently have unprecedented corruption under the Barry Soweto/Obama regime, have functionally repealed the US Constitution, and that Welsh and previous Indy editors have consistently ignored these extremely critical issues - unprecedented in US history, that have redefined the US government as an authoritarian dictatorship with the right to violate international treaties as well as the rights of US citizens, use disgustingly unethical means to incarcerate, torture and murder critics of this corruption who speak the truth, use lies to initiate wars around the world, and murder innocent civilians. My interpretation of Smithers' comment, and my belief, is that this is inexcusably irresponsible journalism, and you support my definition of this in your statement that Welsh "simply stated facts and did not say whether or not he will continue to support Obama/the party machine that has made all these violations possible". I don't know where Barry Soweto (Barak Obama) fits in the Bush/Cheney/New Century plan, a policy for US global imperialism, but I know that the President of the US has no recorded history as Barak Obama, and a lot of recorded history as an Islamic socialist activist, an Indonesian citizen named Barry Soweto, and I didn't vote for him - I'm not a good German , I'm a US citizen. I don't believe that there's a current media outlet in Santa Barbara whose reporting of a mass sweep of arrests and incarceration of critics of US policy would merit more interest than a police press release about a homeless person stealing a can of beer.
I preemptively apologize to William Smithers for any misrepresentation of his opinions.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
June 30, 2013 at 12:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Barry Soetoro, sorry.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
June 30, 2013 at 12:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

To Willy88 and others::
" Where are the lib-dem drum beating neo-hippy occupier street rants and parades protesting Obama "nazism", etc.?"

Actually they were and are still protesting these things and more. Turn off Fox News, CNN, MSNC all those bozos and actually engage with the world and you will see. Protests happen in this town all the time as well but the local media rarely covers unless it's unavoidable.

June 30, 2013 at 1:40 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I have plenty of issues with Obama, but did vote for him in the last two elections. If the Libertarian Party can ever come up with a national candidate who is A: Not nuts and/or B: Not a Republican with "liberal" social views (see, for example, most recent presidential candidate), I might consider voting for him/her.
The Green Party has similar issues on the traditionally more "leftist" side, nominating and promoting unqualified ideologues, assorted halfwits and half-witted celebrities.
Like many others, it remains the "lesser of two evils" option for me. Anyone who invokes the Barry Soetoro/"Islamic Socialist" canard loses credibility immediately, IMO, any many will continue reading such diatribes (if they indeed do so at all ) with eyes definitely set to role mode.

zappa (anonymous profile)
June 30, 2013 at 7:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

zappa: Excellent factual analysis.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
June 30, 2013 at 6:26 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm with Zappa.

June 30, 2013 at 6:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

THE LESSER OF TWO EVILS

"We are the hollow men"
Who've tattered all we're taught.

Our faces shine with pleasure
At how cheaply we are bought.

bilwil (anonymous profile)
July 4, 2013 at 2:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Most American girls are fat, slutty feminists who dress like slobs. Men should boycott them to start putting them in their place and to
encourage them to improve.

Here are some ways to insult American girls:

1. If she is fat, say:

“Are you pregnant?”

OR

“Are you sure you should be eating that?”

OR

"Have you looked in the mirror recently?"

2. When you are near a fat chick, use your mobile phone by pretending that you are talking to a friend and complain loudly about how disgusting fatties are.

3. If she has a tattoo, make a disgusted face, and say:

“Is that a bug or dirt on your skin?”

OR

“I thought tattoos were only for bikers, criminals, or whores.”

OR

“Girls who get tattoos because everyone else has one are like lemmings. Would you jump off a bridge because everybody else did?”

OR

“I hear that there are laser tattoo removal clinics. You should go to one.”

OR

“I thought you looked pretty hot until I saw that tattoo.”

OR

"That tattoo will look really good when you are 70."
4. If she smokes, say:
“Gross! Smoking is such a turn-off. Lung cancer is not sexy.”

5. If she wears flip-flops, say:

“Wow, girls in other countries like Russia and Brazil care about their appearance and dress like women.”

6. If she has short hair, say:

“Excuse me, are you a man?”

basketballfan (anonymous profile)
November 29, 2013 at 10:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)