Louis Bristol addresses the court at his sentencing hearing

Paul Wellman

Louis Bristol addresses the court at his sentencing hearing

Carpinteria Pastor/Molester Sentenced to One Year in Jail

Louis Bristol Faces Victims’ Mothers in Court, Asks for Forgiveness

Friday, October 11, 2013
Comments

Louis Bristol, the Carpinteria youth pastor who pleaded guilty in August to committing sexual acts on a two teen girls, was sentenced Friday to one year in Santa Barbara County Jail plus a strictly termed five-year probation period, during which he will have to register as a sex offender. Both Bristol’s family and the victims and their families — statements from the girls’ mothers suggested their families had once been close with Bristol’s — attended the sentencing. They sat on opposite sides of the courtroom, and at one point, from their seats, Bristol’s wife and the mother of one of the girls argued until a bailiff admonished them to keep quiet.

Bristol, who was 28 years old at the time of the crimes, met the two girls, 14 and 16 at the time, through his job as a high school youth pastor at the Carpinteria Community Church. The lewd acts occurred at the Holiday Inn Express in Carpinteria, where he also worked as an assistant manager. He also sent a video of himself masturbating to a third victim, an adult. He was arrested for the crimes in February.

One of the victims spoke at the sentencing, reading from an essay she wrote for college applications. “My life was centered in that church,” she said. “That church was my safe haven.” The girl read how, after the crimes occurred, she “wanted to hide and forget what was happening.” She said she turned to drugs and alcohol to cope, and she saw her GPA drop from 4.33 to 0.33. In time, though, she said she began her path to recovery. “I’m proud that I overcame this and how I grew as a person,” she said. “I knew I needed to be strong.”

Her mother also spoke and directed many of her comments directly at Bristol. “I would guess, Louis, that you still don’t understand what you’ve done,” she said. “You hid behind God to do your evil, and someday you will have to answer to him,” she continued, saying that although she supports the plea deal he received, it will be “longer and harder for them to heal than any punishment you receive.”

Under Bristol’s plea deal, he will serve one year in County Jail — and won’t receive credits for time he already served — plus five years of probation. If he violates any of his probation terms, said Senior Deputy District Attorney Paula Waldman, he will go to state prison for four years and eight months. Waldman explained that some of the original charges against Bristol, including forcible rape, forced sexual penetration by a foreign object, and sexual battery by restraint — which could have landed him 20 years in prison if convicted — could not be proved beyond a reasonable doubt. The charges that could be proved — a lewd act upon a minor, unlawful sexual intercourse with a minor, contributing to the delinquency of a minor (by providing her with marijuana), and sending obscene material to the adult victim — would net Bristol the aforementioned four years and eight months in prison, said Waldman, who added that the victims and their families are satisfied with the deal.

That prison sentence is suspended, Waldman said, based on how Bristol handles his probation. If he does anything from contacting one of the victims or dating someone with a child who is a minor to associating with any people under the age of 18 or possessing any sexually stimulating materials, Bristol will have to serve that prison term and register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. He is also prohibited from visiting or living in Carpinteria or within 2,000 feet of any school, which can be monitored via GPS tracking if the Probation Department sees fit. He will be required to attend sex offender therapy for a year and weekly sex addicts anonymous meetings, among other terms.

“I wish I could go back and change everything about this whole situation,” Bristol said, facing the victims and their families. “I’m remorseful. I hope that there can be forgiveness.”

“My daughter has suffered a lot,” said the mother of the 14-year-old victim. She said that she and her daughter have since moved to Ventura “where no one knows us.” In her statement, she noted her daughter’s sadness and anger over what happened. “All this will follow her for a lifetime,” she said. “This lack of trust is going to last a lifetime.”

Related Links

Comments

this feels like a pretty light sentence.

October 12, 2013 at 6:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Amen, DrDan.

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
October 12, 2013 at 8:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I imagine that this was one of those plea deals to protect the victims from having to testify and be cross examined by the defense attorney. Since the only evidence of the crime was the personal experiences of the victims, their testimony would have been necessary to get a conviction. Regardless of the "light sentence," it is probably better for the girls that they did not have to testify and be questioned in public.

Eckermann (anonymous profile)
October 12, 2013 at 3:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Another man using his position in a Church to moleste children.
Castration seems like a fit punishment along with the jail sentence.

loneranger (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 6:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Another sweetheart deal for a child molester who will most likely complete his probation by sucking up to his p.o. and others and will never have to register as sexual offender ever again.CA loves their pedophiles and sexual offenders.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 10:47 a.m. (Suggest removal)

makes sense, Eckermann.

October 13, 2013 at 3:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Am I the only one who wants to hear his side of the story before we start chopping off body parts? Especially if he has a girlfriend who is apparently willing to stick with him through this, maybe there is more to the story than we'll ever know. Not saying this guy is a beacon of Christ-like behavior either way and it sounds like he deserves his sentence but I'm guessing hypothetically it wouldn't be the first time a younger girl preyed on the weaknesses of an older man, didn't like where it was going and decided to back out and get the police involved to preserve their dignity within their family and the community. Not saying that is what happened, but all of the other posts are assuming that this guy is the one who setup the whole thing and is a major predator and brought them to the hotel when maybe they seeked him out at his place of work and he was putting in a lot of effort to avoid something like this, who knows, I have no idea what happened, I wasn't on the jury and I doubt they got the full story either. Just being a contrarian and putting something else out on the other side for a change, people always act like they know everything and girls are never deceptive and men always prey on women and never the other way around. This comment will probably get deleted even though I'm just doing everything the posts above me are doing in the other direction. I admit I could be completely wrong about this guy. But hey, screw innocent older men who get manipulated by younger girls, right? Just throw every guy who gets accused of a sex crime in the rape cage and let the thugs sort it out. This is why we have juries and judges.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 5:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No jury was used on this one.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 8:39 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You know Loonpt, I do not often (if ever) agree with you, and I am not sure that I want to adopt your predator as victim position here, but I understand your point. Teenagers (either boys or girls) should not be given the message that they are not responsible for their sexual behaviors and decisions. There have been some women recently thrown in jail for having sexual relationships with teenage boys (men?). Did those boys (men?) hold no responsibility for the relationship simply by virtue of their ages? When teenagers have sexual relationships with each other are they breaking the law? These are all sensitive and uncomfortable questions. Adults have a higher responsibility for self-restraint and good behavior than do teenagers, but teenagers should also be held to some standard of good judgment and propriety. I believe our justice system has it mostly right, but I am sure that there are fuzzy borderline areas where a jury of moral and rational people could ponder in frustration.

Eckermann (anonymous profile)
October 13, 2013 at 9:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

“I wish I could go back and change everything about this whole situation,” Bristol said, facing the victims and their families. “I’m remorseful. I hope that there can be forgiveness.”

READ THAT AGAIN AND AGAIN. NO RESPONSIBILITY. NO OWNERSHIP OF DOING ANYTHING WRONG.

THIS DISGUSTING AND REVOLTING SEXUAL PREDATOR SEES NOTHING WRONG IN WHAT HE HAS DONE.

THIS LIGHT SENTENCE IS A COMPLETE DISGRACE IN OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

HE CRAWLED OUT OF A DRAIN.....HE HAS MOLESTED GIRLS WHOSE LIVES WILL BE HARMED FOR LIFE......AND OUT HE SKIPS!

I AM HORRIFIED!

PENELOPE

penelopeb (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 12:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

DON'T YOU SEE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS"??

(AS YOU REPORTED)

HE SAID....."I HOPE THERE CAN BE FORGIVENESS" (THAT IS PASSIVE......NOT TAKING ANY RESPONSIBILITY! )
"I HOPE THERE CAN BE FORGIVENESS" ! HUH? THE BIGGEST COP OUT EVER!

DUH!!

VERY SAD SITUATION IN JOURNALISM !!! HUH! ( SAYING "I HOPE THERE CAN BE FORGIVENESS IS NOT AT ALL "ASKING FOR FORGIVENESS!)

AND THERE IS NOT ONE WORD OUT OF THIS GUY ACCEPTING ANY RESPONSIBILITY......OR FEELING GUILTY OR REMORSEFUL! IT IS JUST "WEAK-SPEAK"! (EVADING RESPONSIBILITY......BY EVASIVE SPEAK!)
PATHETIC........AND ALL TOO COMMON! YUCK!

EITHER GIVE US GOOD JOURNALISM......RESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM.....OR FOLD AND GO AWAY. YOU ARE BECOMING COWARDLY AND PATHETIC!!

BOO HISS......I AM SO DISAPPOINTED!

BOO HOO!

PENELOPE

penelopeb (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 1:06 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This is simple. And I am afraid this simple thing no longer is part of a crime plea.

He owns NOTHING! He takes not one bit of responsibility for this complete CRIME!!'
Does no one see this?
This is what he said!!!

That is the most pathetic thing I have ever heard! "I wish?" DUH!

What he wishes is that he wasn't caught!

This is a sexual predator who will be unleashed into society! I hope there will be weekly notices about his whereabouts!

In my opinion........he should be kept in jail for decades. And I think this girl's parents should be punished for not protecting their daughter.

This "man" crawled out of a drain......and took advantage of a neglected girl. Her parents were "asleep at the wheel!! She was emotionally needy; (as we all are at her age!) Shame on her parents for not protecting her!

My message to her parents........"Shame on you for allowing your daughter to be taken advantage of like that!! Where in the heck were you???"

This man should rot in prison! Using a church to rape and molest girls. This is about as foul as things get. Who is the judge?

How can this miscarriage of justice happen in our county??

SHAME!!!!

penelopeb (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 1:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

He has rape face.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
October 14, 2013 at 4:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)