Ban the Brats

Friday, September 13, 2013
Comments

I was shopping in a local supermarket the other night around 6 p.m. It was the most unpleasant shopping experience I have ever had. There were so many screaming, running, and crying children in this store that I could barely think.

I realize that parents, and especially a single parent, has limited options as far as what to do with child(ren) when they go shopping. However, when you decide to bring your kid(s) with you, the least you could do is watch them and make sure they are behaving themselves as one should in public.

Santa Barbara is a very forward-thinking community, encouraging people to think outside of the box in a variety of endeavors — Earth Day and recyclable bags, just to name two. Here is my proposal: Set aside a block of time — for example, 5-10 p.m. — one day a week when only adults are permitted into the store.

I myself do not have children; I never wanted them, and I do not think I should be subjected to unruly, misbehaving children whose parents could not care less. I am sure I am not alone on this subject.

In the meantime, parents, could you please be a little more considerate of those of us who just came to do a little shopping and are returning to the peace and quiet of our childless homes?

Comments

I think thast "adults only" shopping times would be wonderful. Being retired, I'd appreciate time during the day when I'm not bombarded by other peoples ill-behaved offspring. As much as I enjoyed my own kids when they were little (and kept them under control in public), I have zero tolerance for other people's kids.

winddancer1562 (anonymous profile)
September 13, 2013 at 3:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

sad to see hatred spilling out on the pages here.
how about going shopping in the morning when there are no kids.
you can control your actions, meaning the time you go to the store. you cannot control other people's actions, especially children, because they are just kids.
they are not brats.
you can pick a time to do your shopping when it is less crowded and stressful(hint it's the morning) and stop spewing hate.
I am positive people who have to deal with you as well, will be happier.

givemeabreak (anonymous profile)
September 13, 2013 at 4:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Of course parents should do a better job corralling their kids in crowded supermarkets -- try Foodland there at Micheltorena and San Andres! But the letter-writer's tone is very negative, and we parents and child advocates need to reject such an outlook on kids. When I observe a single-parent, often female, managing 3 unruly children and also trying to shop wisely and carefully [food sovereignty], the task looks nigh-impossible. So like others in the market I give 'em a wide berth and smile. The children aren't "brats" [and Mascolo never uses that term], they are precious offspring and sacred human beings. It's a very ill-spirited letter.

September 13, 2013 at 6:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"I myself do not have children; I never wanted them.."
Yeah, like that wasn't clear. My kids are (more or less) grown and no longer subject to your obvious contempt.
Personally, I don't care for unruly people of any age, but I'll take "brat" behavior over the typically adult douchery that I so often observe in many places including supermarkets and letters.

zappa (anonymous profile)
September 13, 2013 at 9:14 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Try meditation or something, such minor things shouldn't bother you that much.

If stores want to make that rule then fine, although I don't think they will. But for the love of god please don't ask the government to force them to do it.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
September 13, 2013 at 11:03 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Blame the parents of the kids....they are usually clueless.

zuma7 (anonymous profile)
September 13, 2013 at 8:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You should see the adult brats I have to work with :)

September 14, 2013 at 11:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

so many anti-social adults with entitlement. Whats with all the greed? ignorant too if you can't figure this one out. Somebody already posted how to resolve such an insignificant problem.

spacey (anonymous profile)
September 14, 2013 at 12:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I would vote for clothing optional shopping from midnight to 4 AM weekends.

Noletaman (anonymous profile)
September 16, 2013 at 2:13 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I disagree with the author. We don't need more regulations to deal with the fallout of the failed feel-good social experiment of the last generation, parents need to raise their children correctly and businesses need to have the backbone to say to parents with bratty kids "you either get your kid under control or you will have to take them out of here".

End of problem.

September 16, 2013 at 4:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Just a bit of trivia: Often when I think of some referring to someone as a brat, I think of an older sister dealing with a younger out-of-control brother.
The word for "brother" in Russian is "БРАТ" which transliterates to "brat".

A coincidence?

September 16, 2013 at 4:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

First of all, I never used the word "brat". Secondly, the point of the rant was,in effect, telling parents to control their kids better which I do not think is an unreasonable request. Parents feel the need to bring their children everywhere they go(movies not "g" rated, nice restaurants e.g.) and if they can not maintain control of their children get a babysitter.

bradley69 (anonymous profile)
September 18, 2013 at 11:12 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What, not allow sausages at supermarkets? Oh, you mean children. I guess I can live with not having to deal with kids playing in the aisles, sticking their hands into the bulk candy, chasing each other around the store, etc. Yes, it is the parents responsibility to monitor the behavior of their progeny, but in these "permissive" times this means not putting boundaries on them so they can explore their creative minds. And get rid of the shopping carts attached to cars.

discoboy (anonymous profile)
September 18, 2013 at 11:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Bradley69: Even if you had used the word "brat", a lot of us would not hold that against you. Many of these kids ARE spoiled brats, and they grow up to be the spoiled, entitled adults you see raising hell, getting drunk, cutting people off in traffic, etc.

I will use the word, and make no apologies for it, but remember, they are *spoiled" by their parents.

September 18, 2013 at 6:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I don't care if people get drunk, it's the rowdy I.V./downtown drunks the cops have to deal with that I'm talking abou.

September 18, 2013 at 6:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)