WEATHER »
Nicholas Bendle

Santa Maria Times

Nicholas Bendle


Santa Maria Hatchet Killer Leaving Mental Hospital


Nicholas Bendle, who in 2009 randomly murdered a 69-year-old Santa Maria man with a hatchet as the victim was on his morning walk, is set to be released from a state mental hospital and entered into a Ventura board-and-care program, the Santa Barbara District Attorney’s Office announced on Thursday.

Bendle, 24, was sent to Patton State Hospital in San Bernardino in 2011, as the murder was attributed to a rapid onset of previously undiagnosed paranoid schizophrenia. He was found to be “extremely delusional” at the time, the District Attorney’s Office said in a statement, and was treated with psychiatric drugs until July 2012, when his doctors suggested he stop taking his medication. In January 2014, hospital officials declared that Bendle had fully recovered from his mental illness, and his treatment team unanimously agreed he be released.

Via the District Attorney’s Office, one of Bendle’s physicians stated that the 24-year-old “shows no symptomatology at all in conversation and could easily be mistaken for staff if he were not wearing the khaki uniform of a patient.” One of his psychiatrists, who supervisors approximately 50 patients, concurred and deemed him stable for release.

If Bendle demonstrates any issues in the board-and-care program, he would be readmitted to Patton, the District Attorney’s Office said. While at the Ventura County facility, Bendle will be closely monitored by the state’s Department of Mental Health, officials said.

To submit a comment on this article, email letters@independent.com or visit our Facebook page. To submit information to a reporter, email tips@independent.com.



event calendar sponsored by:

Woman Killed by Train in Montecito

She was struck Friday morning near Olive Mill Road.

La Cumbre Sears Set for Closure

Liquidation sale begins this week.

City Council Approves Fee Allocation for Branch Libraries

The topic goes next to branch library cities.

Truck Accident Disrupts Foodbank Turkey Drive

Nonprofit is trying to replace $145,000 in equipment and food lost in accident last month.

County Eyeing Private Montecito Land to Build New Debris Basin

Supervisors have started the negotiation process with Randall Road parcel owners.