Doug Stekkinger

Paul Wellman

Doug Stekkinger

Man to be Sentenced for Punching Elderly Victim

Thursday, February 13, 2014
Comments

A 48-year-old Santa Barbara man who punched a 71-year-old man during an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting will be sentenced to up to nine years in state prison on Friday.

Doug Stekkinger was found guilty of three felony charges including elder abuse, assault by means of force likely to cause great bodily injury, and battery with serious bodily injury. Stekkinger was also convicted of a special allegation that he inflicted great bodily injury on someone 70 years of age or older, which would significantly increase the sentence.

On April 12, 2012, Stekkinger attended an AA meeting at the Veteran’s Memorial Building with his dog, Blue. A confrontation between the older man and Stekkinger ensued about whether or not dogs were allowed inside during meetings. Stekkinger subsequently punched the victim in the face, shattering his cheekbone in three places.

According to a statement from the DA’s Office, the “victim put his hand on Stekkinger’s shoulder and attempted to counsel him that dogs were not permitted on the premise during meetings.” Stekkinger plead not guilty to all felony counts, claiming he acted in self-defense and that the man grabbed his neck before he punched him. The case went to trial, which lasted three days.

“This is a travesty — one punch,” said Ted Stekkinger, Doug’s older brother in November. “AA is supposed to be a place for serenity.” He said his brother has lived in Santa Barbara for about 25 years and had been “straightening himself out.”

“If someone grabs you, what do you do?” Ted went on. “Stop and ask to see their ID? ‘Oh, you’re 69, I can punch you.’ Or, ‘Oh, you’re 70, I can’t punch you,” added Ted, who is a retired police officer.

According to the District Attorney’s Office, Stekkinger has an additional conviction on his record, but prosecutors wouldn’t go into detail on the previous case. Recent police reports indicate Stekkinger was also arrested for misdemeanor sexual battery on October 8 after detectives obtained an arrest warrant for him after he allegedly grabbed the buttocks of a 23-year-old woman at a beer festival in late September. He has been in custody since his November assault conviction.

Comments

Ted quit the Highway Patrol 20 years ago to stay home and raise his kids. I don't think he qualifies for the "retired" police officer title.

In regards to Doug I hope he learns not to pick on old people anymore.

deniseL (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 12:32 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Hit some old timer in the face hard enough to smash his cheek? I think 9 years is just about right.

edukder (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 7:29 a.m. (Suggest removal)

HOLY CRAP! Ray Buscemi got busted!

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 7:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

The guy is a 48 year old juvenile delinquent that never grew up. Well, he can kiss his dog goodbye as well as alcohol, unless he likes prison pruno.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 8:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Botany, are you DRAXing this wretched soul? If so... GOOD WORK!

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 8:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This is outrageous. A single punch and the guy gets 9 years? Travesty if correct. What a ridiculous punishment. This isnt elder abuse, it may have been assault but the fact that the man was 71 has no bearing on the issue.

Our DA is out of hand. This type of sentencing is beyond excessive. People serve less time for murder and rape and even less time for stealing hundreds of thousands from elderly.

iamsomeguyinsb (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 11:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I know, right. Why can't we punch old people when we feel like? Like for a can of soup.

AZ2SB (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 12:10 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The act ended up causing someone great harm. That being said, if you are rich kids from Westmont who traspass on private property, light a fire that causes mass destruction of propery severe burns and permanent injury to 2 people, the DA protects your indenity for as long as possible and then you get off without penalty.
It does seem excessive and out of line with other crimes that cause even greater harm and/or were premeditated or carried out over years.

LizW (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 12:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm 79 and if any smart ***decides to punch me I'll damn well punch him back!

samuel (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 12:25 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I was present at the AA meeting and saw the entire incident. I was called and questioned by the police, the DA and the PD. I was subpoenaed twice never called to testify was told my testimony was not needed. The next thing I heard was Mr. Stekkinger was found guilty. I even called the PD after the fact and left a message as to why my testimony was not needed. Never got a reply
It is total BS that the 69 year old man put his hand on Stekkinger's shoulder to "counsel" him. The senior started this whole mess. The 69 year old was throwing the punches also. They are both at fault. To paint the 69 year old as an innocent party is a crock of s__t. He is an aggressive egotistical man.
There is more than meets the eye on this one. Damn shame.......

gardengirl (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 1:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Gee Gardengirl. Don't you think that if your testimony would have benefited the defendant, that you should be calling his attorney instead of the police or the DA? Just sayin'.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 1:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oops, my bad. I guess you contacted the public defender's office. Well, I guess they just determined that your testimony wouldn't benefit him.

Botany (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 1:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

gardengirl didn't even read the article and obviously knows nothing about the case. There is no 69 year old man ... there's a 71 year old man, and neither the defendant nor his brother claims that he threw punches.

As for Ted Stekkinger's "one punch" and “AA is supposed to be a place for serenity” ... BWAHAHAH! Some serenity, breaking a guy's face.

JayB (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 1:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wait, you're saying gardengirl "obviously knows nothing" yet she was a witness to the incident and you think you have a better account of it than her??

I'm going to side with gardengirl on this one, it sounds like the old guy had some fault. I would only say that the younger guy probably used some excessive force here.

I don't think this guy should be in jail for any more than 6 months.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 4:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The report information I had said he (the "elder") was 69 years old at the time of the incident. This happened nearly two years ago. The elder is a large very fit man and like I said I was there and saw everything. I told the PD I was willing to testify, the elder has been in AA for a long time and had a group of cronies.I feel I was an impartial witness since I did not know know either of the men at that time. I was also surprised to to find out from the DA and PD how many people were not willing to testify or even give a statement.

But once again apparently I know nothing.....................

gardengirl (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 4:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

But back to Doug "Pop old Pops" Stekkinger. Sounds to me like he's the sort of fellow that trouble seems to follow him wherever he goes...
OH BULLCRAP! Trouble doesn't follow this guy, HE BRINGS IT WITH HIM!

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 4:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"she was a witness to the incident"

And you know this how?

"you think you have a better account of it than her??"

I didn't say anything about having an account ... but I know not to expect reading comprehension from you.

"I don't think this guy should be in jail for any more than 6 months."

What you think is, as always, irrelevant and detached from reality.

JayB (anonymous profile)
February 13, 2014 at 11:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Someone made the point the dog in question was well-behaved and not a problem at all.

This misses the point that the rules of using this particular facility are that dogs are NOT allowed on the premises. Newcomers are often unhappy with rules and don’t believe they should have to follow any rules which they personally don’t approve of. They are still too young in their recovery to think of anyone or anything but themselves. They are often unaware of how their actions can jeopardize others; such as not being allowed to continue using a meeting hall because rules have been ignored. Then there are others who don’t understand the AA program and profess that there really ARE no rules. I once witnessed a young man who was new to recovery walk naked through the meeting hall on his bellybutton birthday. You should have seen how upset the “AA has no rules” crowd became. Some of them dialed 911 and others said that the thoughtless act brought back molestation issues! They sure wanted to see rules THAT day! Lol

And as to hitting someone in a meeting? In over 26 years I have only seen it once. A newcomer with a history of violence didn’t like not being called on to share at the Alano and took a swing at the leader. He was lucky to leave unhurt and alive. I have personal knowledge that there are regular attending members who carry protection. Mr. Hothead should be happy he is getting jail time and not a box.

edukder (anonymous profile)
February 14, 2014 at 8:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)