Kasi Beutel

Paul Wellman

Kasi Beutel

The S.B. Questionnaire: Kasi Beutel

Listening to One of State Street’s Dedicated Officers

Monday, January 27, 2014
Comments

On the third Thursday of every month, I participate in the Santa Barbara Downtown Organization’s safety committee meetings, where we discuss the issues of maintaining the well-being of our downtown corridor. One of the most committed participants at these meetings is Kasi Beutel, who can usually be found patrolling State Street in her job as a Santa Barbara Police Department officer.

I didn’t know much about Kasi before asking her to answer this questionnaire, but I’ve always been impressed by her single-minded devotion to safekeeping the businesses, visitors, and locals on our main artery. Utilizing her close relationships with community members to strengthen police effectiveness, Kasi’s cooperative efforts make Santa Barbara a safer place.

After starting her professional life as an accountant for about 10 years, Kasi decided in her early thirties to make a career change and join the police academy. She was driven to do something that “would better this world our children are going to inherit.”

Today, she lives in the Conejo Valley and is married to Officer Mark Corbett, and together they share five children (three are hers from a previous relationship, and two are his). In her free time, she volunteers at elementary and middle schools, teaching kids about stranger danger, cyberbullying, and any other topic that’s needed.

She took time out from her schedule to answer the Proust Questionnaire.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?

The day that I had my badge pinned on. The police academy was very hard for me. I missed my children desperately, and, even now looking back on it, I wonder how I made it through. I love being a police officer and would do it all over again if I had to, but, boy, am I glad that I don’t …

What is it you like most about your job?

That is such a complicated question. I say this is the hardest and best job I could ever have. I love serving my community and the sense of pride that I have in doing a job that is worthwhile. I like the camaraderie and family that I have with every other person who wears a badge, and I like when citizens who appreciate what I do say, “Thank you.” I feel grateful every day that I get to do this job, and, even on the hardest days, I am thankful.

What is the quality you most like in people?

I really appreciate when someone is able to listen without judging and simply live what they preach. I have a few friends who are such good people that I learn so much from by simply being with them.

What is the quality you most dislike in people?

Gosh, this is a hard one. I dislike people who cannot take responsibility for their actions. Nobody is perfect, but what a different world this would be if more people could simply admit when they make a mistake and apologize for it.

What do you most value in friends?

I most value my friends who understand my crazy, hectic lifestyle and find time to spend with me anyways. I am so grateful for the friends that I have who love me despite all of my flaws.

What is your most marked characteristic?

My always-on-the-go personality. I am always planning and scheduling, whether it is for my parents, my children, or my job. I usually have a calendar that spans the better part of 12 months with schedules for every one of my five children and then some. I think back to a Mother’s Day card one of my children gave me so many years ago, one with prompts from the teacher, and it said, “You don’t like to …” My son’s response regarding me was: “… do nothing.”

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Oh, I was lucky enough to have this over my holiday break: my family, all seven of us, together at a small ranch riding horses, playing board games, and just spending some simple quiet time together.

What is your greatest fear?

I am a mom before anything, so really my greatest fear is about losing one of my children or something happening to me when they are young and still need me. The driving force in my life is always trying to better my children’s lives and make sure they are happy and secure.

Whom do you most admire?

I most admire my daughter, Nadia. She is 18 years old, a freshman in college, and so sure of who she is and her path in life. She is the kindest person I know, has a depth of character that is beyond her years, and morals that guide her to “do the right thing.” When I am struggling with a situation or feeling frustrated with circumstances beyond my control, she often reminds me of what is important with just a few simple words.

What is your greatest extravagance?

I would say live theater. I love, love, love going to live theater and have several season ticket memberships. I am in awe of some of the talent that I get to see on the stage and am often brought to tears by the emotion that I get to experience in live theater. I am lucky enough to have a husband who also loves live theater, so I always have a date to go with.

What is your current state of mind?

Currently, I am in a great place. Every year my resolution is the same: to relax, de-stress, take deep breaths, and be present in each moment. I have to actively work at this because, in my line of work, it is very easy to bring my work home and affect my family. My goal every year is to increase my peace and optimism and savor the very few quiet moments I find.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?

So I have to tell you …” No really, I asked my family this question, and I was told that I use, “So I have to tell you …” before most of my stories.

Which talent would you most like to have?

I would love to have the ability to know exactly what to say in any situation. I have always been envious of people who know just the right thing to say at just the right time. I often feel at a loss for words and end up filling the space with too many of the wrong words, only to think of just the right thing to say 15 minutes later.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

My metabolism. But seriously, I would love to be able to relax more. I am fairly high-strung and have about 100 projects going most of the time. It is hard for me to relax and just appreciate the moments.

Where would you most like to live?

I am going to break tradition here and not say Santa Barbara. I would most like to live on a ranch where I could sit on my porch in a rocking chair, ride horses, have space for my children and grandchildren to run around and, of course, ride horses. I grew up in an area that only had one paved road and a feeling of neighborhood and community. This to me is blissful simplicity and happiness.

What is your most treasured possession?

I am going to say my hope chest; it is filled with all my children’s projects, cards, and artwork from school. When I have had a particularly hard week, or have just forgotten about how very blessed I am, I simply have to spend some time looking at these treasures to remember.

Who makes you laugh the most?

My husband, Mark. He is seriously the funniest person I know. Mark makes everyone in our house laugh, and the kids can often be found relaying his funny stories or asking him to tell them over and over.

What is your motto?

God never gives us more than we can handle. Also, by Henry James: “Three things in human life are important: the first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind.”

Comments

Help ! Roger , Kasi , Mayor Scneider and city council . We are losing lower State Street . It is becoming skid row and getting progressively worse. My wife runs on State pre -dawn for excercise, as she has done for 30 years , and her observations are a keen barometer for the sleaze and raunch that exists down there . She has finally decided that it is too sketchy and will start driving to the beach to run . Seriously , do Mayor Schneider or any of the council members ever walk this stretch? Get out there city leaders ! Open your eyes , see what's going on . Do something!!!!

geeber (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 3:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

while enjoying these feel-good interviews, surely Durling has to know about the alleged ticket-writing DUI scandal at SBPD involving Ms. Beutel and her SBPD husband, the affaire Peter Lance? Inappropriate to bring it up..unsure. Certainly the point isn't to berate or belittle Beutel, but it's an issue here, especially with the vociferous criticisms of the PD.

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 6:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

There's no beef to this Q & A. The questions most people wanted answers to were never asked.

Botany (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 6:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This puff piece is amazing for its bald-faced sycophancy. So Roger "I didn't know anything about Beutel" Durling, the head of the film festival, which is for Hollywood tourists but which has been handed the keys to our city, is on a committee with the notorious liar and evidence-fabricator, Kasi Beutel. That alone should be enough to disqualify him from writing about her; but then his position at the film festival, one of the biggest advertisers, should disqualify him from writing in the paper at all, if the Independent had any journalistic ethics. And then to do the article but not mention her history? What a tired, sad joke the Independent is! Roger Durling is actually perfect for this paper, in fact you should make him the news editor.

RyanOSorress (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 7:28 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm never surprised at the lack of professionalism that defines the media in Santa Barbara; apparently journalistic integrity is a foreign concept. The series in the News Press about Peter Lance/Kasi Beutel incident raised some interesting issues - one of the writers at the News Press should have been the one raising them, not Peter Lance. Then we move onto Paula Lopez. Now we have Roger Durling, writing "I know nothing about Beutel." The Los Angeles Times exposes corruption in Bell, abuses by the Sheriff's Department, etc, and we get this tripe. The citizens of Santa Barbara deserve better.

borninsixtyone (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 7:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

all of durling's interviews are feather fisted...not just this one. he's never made himself to be a hard hitting journo.

he's strictly mr happy.....which is fine, because thats the intent of his column.

as for complaining about beutel, doesn't worry me who she busts. i'm like most people in sb, keep my nose clean, and nod appreciatively when i see another dui db get spanked.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 8:05 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Sometimes you just have to laugh at the idiots who post on these blogs.

What is even funnier is that most of you took what Peter lance and idiot DUI Attorney D. Genis wrote as the "Truth". They wrote a piece to smear and throw enough mud to confuse. That is what these two misfits did. Now, D. Genis believes he is the King DUI Attorney. He is an arrogant ass and a person who will commit his sole to getting DUI defendants off the hook so they can go out again get drunk and possibly kill the next DUI victim.

And no, I've never met Kasi..

It is sad to read such garbage on these posts from people who weren't there, take one story and believe it, refuse to educate them selves, throw as much mud as dynamic duo lance/genis and continue to degrade Santa Barbara with their presents.

But I guess every locale has to have there tiresome misfits…...

Priceless (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Peter Lance, Derryl Genis, Scott Steepleton.
WHAT COULD GO WRONG!?!

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 9:04 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Wow, now we know the Indy is in the SPBD's pocket along with the Mayor, the DA, and the Council. What a piece of trash this article this is when legitimate inquiry into Beutel's DUI citations was hidden from public view. Shame on you, Indy.

Priceless, what you should be concerned about is the Mayor's broken to provide a full independent investigation of the Beutel allegations. You don't know the "Truth" anymore than anyone else does. Just another shill for SBPD.

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 9:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Good grief. You'd think you peopl were unfamiliar with this coilumn, that it just sprang up outta nowhere in order to promote the SBPD. (You've all commented on previous columns so you're aware of the format!)

January 27, 2014 at 12:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Cranky loons - isn't that what all of (us) are who waste time commenting here?

Ibid (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 12:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

LMAO!!!!!

JohnLocke please give us your detailed investigation into Kasi… I'll be waiting with baited breath…

You sit behind a computer bang away telling everybody that she did something wrong "because Lance/ Genis said so" and then say in your last post, "You don't know the "Truth" anymore than anyone else does." Doesn't that say a lot for your mentality into believing the jackass duo of Lance/Genis???

And just for the record, No Shill here, just someone who can read between the lines of the new Larry H Parker. Remember him????

Priceless (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 1:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Next interview, Aaron Tudor!

buckwheat (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 1:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hahha ibid, true. But how crazy is it to be upset that a column who's purpose is to feature individuals featured an individual?! It's not a special feature!

January 27, 2014 at 1:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Even WE have a human side.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 3:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ron Paul forums doesn't mention the videotape of Beutel planting heroin on Jane Doe at the SBSO booking counter, or Beutel's scam in charging her with bringing heroin into the jail for sale, or Beutel's worker's comp scam on another one of Darryl Genis's clients, or the 6(?) minutes deleted from the audiotape of his arrest (after tazing him and threatening to shoot his dog) - for a broken taillight. It doesn't mention DA Dudley harassing him by having Harbor Patrol and the Coast Guard chase down his boat to try to nail him for violation of commercial fishing regulations after he reported her perjury, or DA Dudley's harassment of another client of Genis whose Trombetta form was forged by sending a DA office investigator to his place of employment to request handwriting samples in addition to the dozen samples the DA's office had previously been given.

This looks like Durling's attempt to buy some protection from the State Street thugs in blue for tourists attending the film festival, with help from the same publication that censored the bloody photo of Skye McGinnis following his attack by SBPD.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 3:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Cold poodle anyone?

touristunfriendly (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 4:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

No, Priceless, your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. I personally believe that there was enough reported to indicate that an official independent investigation was appropriate, as did our Mayor and City Administrator. Interestingly, that investigation either never happened or was buried. The Mayor, who has always responded to my emails, failed to respond when I inquired about this many months after the promise was made and as the last election was approaching, as did other Council members. I do not automatically believe, as you apparently do, anything the government or the SPBD tells me. You, on the other hand, seem prepared to completely ignore what was presented in the NP. Why? Because you don't like McCaw? Don't trust the NP? Don't like Genis? None of this has anything to do with Truth.

Now, as for my personal opinion, I believe our city gov is dedicated to covering up its mistakes. Do I have proof to take to court? Well, that's pretty hard to get when public investigations don't happen, union contracts prevent the city from revealing police misbehavior, and city settlements (e.g. for injuries due to tile crosswalks) are made under nondisclusure orders. Funny thing is, its the people who believe gov can do no wrong who, having been the deepest in denial, are the most outraged when the wrongs are outed.

So, as I said, you don't know the Truth anymore than anyone else does. I want, as I have posted MANY times, investigations to reveal the Truth. LA can do it. Why can't SB?

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 5:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh wow. The Independent has stooped to a new low on this one. I personally saw various persons in Judge Hill's courtroom swear under oath that the signatures on the trombetta waivers were not theirs. Kasi Beutel was the arresting officer. The DA's office could not find one handwriting expert to testify that the signatures were not forged. The case then was dismissed and the whole issue conveniently went away. The mayor promised an investigation and years later we are still waiting for the outcome. There Roger, now you know some of the story. As others have mentioned there is more. That is why this thing you wrote is an insult to the residents of Santa Barbara, who deserve an honest police and honest journalism. So sorry that we have neither.

sbs124 (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 5:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I have to say congratulations to Roger Durling for stirring up the pot.

If the questionnaire had been given to say.. Genis for example, a whole different crew would be up in arms and condemning the Indy.

This isn't an opinion for or against Beutel. It's utter astonishment at the censoriousness of people and the lack of being able to differentiate different types of journalism and news articles- especially recurring columns they should be familiar with after commenting on them for months.

Bravo Durling

January 27, 2014 at 5:57 p.m. (Suggest removal)

JL has a point writing "its the people who believe gov can do no wrong who, having been the deepest in denial, are the most outraged" -- now I'm ever-suspicious of government, yet we hafta have a PD, and they will err in their very difficult jobs from time to time... John, a search for Truth with a capital T is pretty much impossible in these complex times, yet...
why did Durling chose this particular officer, one with a definitely checkered record, how accidental can that be? I can imagine (even know a few) there are dozens of police folks Durling and the Indy could've chosen, but they chose Kasi. Gosh.

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 6:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You could at least thank the Indy and Durling for providing an appropriate foorum to express your feelings instead of damning them for it.

January 27, 2014 at 6:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

right on ken thanks
but they've been known to suppress as welll
My boycott oF on patrol for example

But if you want real suppression you'll find it in the most unusual of places!
craigslist has become part of the low density nazi regime!
Flagged a record number of times today. At least I know I'm keeping one brownshirt busy :) COLD POOODLE FOR EVERYONE! YEA...

You know you love me, I know you care
Just shout whenever, and I'll be there
JUSTIN BEIBER BABY

touristunfriendly (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 7:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"You could at least thank the Indy and Durling for providing an appropriate foorum..."

"FOOrum"...is that a Freudian slip?

January 27, 2014 at 7:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Roger Durling epitomizes everything that is wrong with the new Santa Barbara. Ignorant of history, enamoured of LA fluff, childless elitist, consumer of precious space, water and air and producer of supercilious drivel. Time was the Independent would have skewered him, not given him a column.

RyanOSorress (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 8:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

@BC Yikes.

January 27, 2014 at 8:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ryans right! It's kinda disgusting.... Roger's as wrong as a Mexican social worker denying a white guy his food stamps!

touristunfriendly (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 8:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Is "childless elitist" some kind of code?

I've had my criticisms of Durling but he is a human being and he at least does something with his life. When you write things like "consumer of precious space, air and water" it's becoming a bit Nazi like dude and creepy.

January 27, 2014 at 9 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"I dislike people who cannot take responsibility for their actions. Nobody is perfect, but what a different world this would be if more people could simply admit when they make a mistake and apologize for it."

How true Off Beutel. Yet, you still refuse to answer direct questions about the fact you lied on a police report. How profound that the very quality you dislike in others is the very thing that you are.

Video still: http://peterlance.com/wordpress/wp-co...
Report: http://peterlance.com/wordpress/wp-co...

SBPoodleguy (anonymous profile)
January 27, 2014 at 10:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes Ken_Volok, you said FOOrum because Foofighter controls your mind and he will soon take over all of us. Resistance is footile.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 5:43 a.m. (Suggest removal)

the infotainment industry in concert with religious pirates, fear-mongering elitists, and robber baron jackals has entranced the masses...so some can yell 'childless elitist' and other epithets on thread, no wonder dolphins swim off and howl with laughter

January 28, 2014 at 6:31 a.m. (Suggest removal)

KV - "Let's breakdown: It's a questionnaire, admittedly lightweight to (I'm guessing) show the human side of people high and low profile in SB.
We may not like them all but getting all hot and bothered and acting like it's a grand conspiracy just makeds you all look like a buncha cranky loons!"

You are sooooo funny! Let the Indy do a puff piece on Carol Ruiz, owner of Chik Fil A, and please tell us that your response would be just as sanguine

Botany (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 7:20 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes JohnLocke I guess the only pieces that should be written are articles you agree with RIGHT??

That's real journalism boy, JohnLockes school of simpleton one issue minds….. What next, JohnLocke tells us all how to investigate crimes because he watches "Law & Order"?

JohnLocke you've exceeded your 15 minutes of shame. Find new material….

Priceless (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 8:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Of course not, Priceless. How do you come up with this stuff? Projection?

your issue is that I disagree with YOU. So much for free speech in your universe. what color is the sky there, BTW?

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 9:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Botany, if they should do such a piece on Ruiz I promise to be as sanguine as can be :)

January 28, 2014 at 10:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Why hasn't the question asked by "Poodleguy" quoted below been answered by Chief Sanchez? If the video and description provided by Peter Lance are accurate what action has been taken against Beutel in an attempt to eliminate future problems of this type. If the Lance information is accurate I suspect defense attorney's will have a field day questioning Beutel's credibility as a witness/arresting officer. If the credibility issue was simply a citizens complaint (filed at the PD) and no publicity attached I would not expect to see any public response. But, too much negative publicity about this significant issue not to respond publicly. Where's the leadership?

I would think if the Lance information is not accurate someone at the PD or City Hall would want to comment, refute the allegation and show his comments and the information released are not accurate. If I were Beutel I would definitely want to clear a false claim related to my credibility. Credibility is the foundation for everything a law enforcement officer does, without it they may as well expect problems in all future issues involving testimony and expect their assignments would be restricted.

Quote: How did the SBPD not investigate the fact that what she wrote in a police report was not what happened on video? Off Beutel writes so clearly what she saw and did at the time the drugs were discovered, when the video proves otherwise. Award winning journalist Peter Lance uncovered this, yet the department didn't take action-why?

Video still: http://peterlance.com/wordpress/wp-co...
Report: http://peterlance.com/wordpress/wp-co...

whatsinsb (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 11:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

or another way to ask those questions is......if peter lance and darryl genis really thought they had something substantial......why did they stop pushing instead of drifting off into dating sites.

lance promised all kinds of followup into supposed sbpd irregularities...........*crickets*

you don't think peter lance only cared about himself and stopped once he got off......nah, he's not that shallow.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 12:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

What is the need for Lance or Genis to "push" anything if they prevailed in their case? Again, I don't believe Lance is required to follow-up on anything he stated since he came out on top of his case. I suspect Lance would have investigated further if he intended on filing a lawsuit against anyone involved. Having read about Lance's background it wouldn't surprise me to learn he knows more than he has reported.

I don't believe it is in the best interest of the PD, the officer(s) involved or the public for the PD/City Hall to remain silent about credibility allegations identified against a police officer. I believe the PD/City Hall have an obligation to let people know they do not condone negative activity as reported and at least indicate why the allegation(s) may not be accurate.

Lawdy. If a prospective juror in a case you knew an officer of questionable credibility was to testify, would you state you could listen to what they had to say and believe them without question or doubt?

whatsinsb (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 1:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Food for thought. Why did the Indy and/or Roger pick Kasi if they were going to interview a SBPD officer? Why not one that lives in the community, or at least is not shrouded in controversy? Unless, they intended on stirring the pot.

Indyholio (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 1:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Indyholio, none of the SBPD officers live in the community and that's the real issue, not the choice of interview subject.

It's a military tactic, don't have personnel with any connection to the community other than to "police it". The thinking being they'll be more tough. You can decide for yourself.

I think it's much more efefctive policing and healthier if the officers have a stake in and are part of the community in which they police.

In addition, in a real catastrophic emergency- how are these officers going to report to duty if say the 101 is damaged in a quake?

It's all part of the continual militarization of local police departments since 9-11.

January 28, 2014 at 1:27 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I think these "SB Questionnaire" stories are inane, and some of the subjects of these articles come across as more than a little pretentious, but I also think it's time to cut Ms. Beutel a little slack. If she was guilty of all that her accusers said she is guilty of, then the department would have removed her long ago. Her accusers seem to have major axes to grind. Repeating the same accusations over and over and over again do not make them true. Fair is fair. JMO. And no, I do not work for the police department and I have never met Ms. Beutel.

Ken, you raise some good points in your comments. IMO most police officers were priced out of the SB housing market long ago, so that's why many of them live farther away than what would be considered ideal. But I don't think this is Ms. Beutel's fault.

LegendaryYeti (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 2:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I agree with Ken, the purpose of these columns is not to be hard hitting but is purposefully attempting to humanize some of the people who have a large impact on the community. I know it may be disappointing, but you have to have thought through the fact that if it was hard hitting then you can't exactly force these people to participate and many of them probably wouldn't. So it is what it is, and it's not pretending to be anything else.

"continue to degrade Santa Barbara with their presents." -Priceless

loonpt (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 2:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

this whole story doesn't deserve a second look.

basically lance was busted. sbpd was busted for taking shorctcuts. lance and dg figured that out, threw enough crap in the air to hide the sun and mountains and won. end of story. the rest of this tale is a roll of purex.

as for durling picking beutel for an interview, either he or welsh has a wicked sense of humor

lawdy (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 2:48 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Why don't any of the leo's that live in the community do an interview?

Well gee the 6 I have known my whole life and I think are awesome cops, don't really relate to the new SB citizen.....

dadof3 (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 3:43 p.m. (Suggest removal)

agree Ken about the militarization of our entire society: see http://www.independent.com/news/2012/...

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 7:09 p.m. (Suggest removal)

lawdy - I'm sure if a cop "took a shortcut" and planted heroin on you and arrested you for possession and sales you'd realize it was just part of the job and respond reasonably, and not "throw enough crap in the air to hide the sun and mountains".

14noscams (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 8:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You're only priced out of the housing market on a cop's salary if your idea of a home is a horse ranch.

Cops should be required to live in the community they work in. You want to live on a horse ranch in the Conejo Valley? Then keep being an accountant. 'Course you'll have to actually go to work five days a week and continue working past age 50. One thing you can't blame Kasi for is seeing, in the unethical influence-peddling known as SBPOA/City Council candidate relations, a glutinous sinecure, and jumping all over it.

But why does Officer Beutel have gangbanger haina eyebrows?

RyanOSorress (anonymous profile)
January 28, 2014 at 10:57 p.m. (Suggest removal)

CONGRATULATIONS lawdy gets it!!! There is hope in SB.

Finally some common sense in SB. It is getting really tiresome hearing from the same whiners continually crying about "Police brutality". Whiners your 15 minutes of shame are up….

If there is/was wide spread proof of your accusations wouldn't you think it would be all over the news and courts with lawsuits?? Wouldn't you think the dynamic duo of Lance/DG would have continued their fight and lawsuits into their "Alleged" misconduct information regarding SBPD?? Where are these two "Truth detectors"?? It's same misfits continually crying foul or abuse and miscreant lawyers taking the case. Funny how continual mud throwing equates to "Police abuse" by the same individuals who, "You don't know the "Truth" anymore than anyone else does" crowd.

But then again, that's just me and common sense talking. Something that rarely happens on these pages with so much BS and speculation being thrown around..

Yes JohnLocke bring it on keep showing SB how your ignorance is going to save the world with your useless speculative banter…….

Priceless (anonymous profile)
January 29, 2014 at 7:36 a.m. (Suggest removal)

What a load of specious, self-serving, politically-orchestrated nonsense. Durling has no business printing anything about law enforcement; he likes movies and has saved the film festival. Endless kudos for that.
But to interview this criminal and give her a public forum for her self-serving "I'm just a mom who loves my job and when I'm not working all I really care about is doing even more wonderful things" is specious public relations management that borders on the laughable.
Anyone who knows anything--and yes Locke, I do in fact KNOW from profoundly personal experience that I will not detail here--about the unfettered corruption in this city is probably pulling their heads out of the toilet bowl where they've puked up dinner after reading this treacle posted by Durling who, we must remember, spends half of his life in the dark in a world of complete fiction. The FACT of the matter is that Cam Sanchez would turn in his badge if he could get a job anywhere else (he tried and failed, remember?), Joyce Dudley has never walked past a camera or microphone she didn't lather over, her minions in the DA's office commit egregious Code of Ethics violations in the service of their win-loss records (justice be damned), and Frank Ochoa is a Magoo-buffoon who serves only at the whim of Dudley's office (who, of course, cut Paula Lopez plenty of slack just to keep Frank on a short leash).
These are all dangerous people--we live in a small town where the traffic cops feel the need to carry assault rifles--and are to be feared, avoided, and shunned.

Beachgirl77 (anonymous profile)
February 3, 2014 at 7:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)