Candles are safe products, but unless they are used safely and watched carefully, they can lead to an accidental fire. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department urges people to be careful when burning candles, and to follow these basic safety tips:
• Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
• Keep burning candles at least 12 inches away from furniture, drapes, bedding, carpets, books, paper, flammable decorations, etc.
• Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
• Always use a sturdy candleholder specifically designed for candle use.
• Be sure the candleholder is placed on a stable, heat-resistant surface.
• Always burn candles in a well-ventilated room.
• Don’t burn a candle all the way down. Extinguish the flame if it comes too close to the holder or container.
• Never touch or move a burning candle.
• Place burning candles at least three inches apart from one another.
• Use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle. It’s the safest way to prevent hot wax from splattering.
• Be very careful if using candles during a power outage. Flashlights and other battery-powered lights are safer sources of light during a power failure.
• Make sure a candle is completely extinguished and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room.
• Never use a candle as a night light.
Most fires involving candles are due to people’s inattention to basic fire safety or the misuse of candles. The Santa Barbara County Fire Department reminds people that a candle is an open flame that can easily ignite anything that can burn.
Captain David Sadecki
News Line 805.681-5546
All Santa Barbara County Fire Department Public Service Announcements are available at www.sbcfire.com