A State of Odor

Thursday, January 30, 2014
Comments

I truly want to help homeless people in S.B., and I don’t want to come across as a snob. I just moved to S.B. and noticed all the homeless people that hang out on State Street. I wouldn’t necessarily mind it if they didn’t urinate everywhere. I went for a walk down State Street from my house to the pier, and all I smelled the entire way was urine. I would think the local businesses would hose down the sidewalks. Please help. And what can I do to help this situation?

Comments

Avoid downtown like the locals do.

spacey (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 1:49 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It's sad but true. Locals do avoid downtown. Such a pretty town, it's sad.

eburns24 (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 8:44 a.m. (Suggest removal)

How can you help? Stop enabling vagrants to even come here in the first place.

Elect city council members who take a tough stance on these issues. There are over 2000 shelter beds in this city. This city has done more than enough to help those who are truly in need of help who also want to help themselves.

Encourage this city council to hire a new city attorney who will not bend on these issues like in the past ,which made this city a magnet for exactly this type of life-style choices

Discourage anyone you see handing money to vagrants, who only use it to buy one more day on the streets addicted to booze and drugs.

Demand Hannah-Beth Jackson and Das Williams account for the billions raised by Prop 43 to address exactlythese state mental health issues. Why have they not opened state care facilities for those with street addictions who clearly cannot take care of themselves and are at risk living lives on the streets.

Why do they smell so bad? They admit by smelling bad they can discourage others from coming near them. They know their continued lives on the streets are harmful to themselves, yet just handing them money or services which no accountability allows them to continue this negative lifestyle choice.

Compassion is saying no to vagrants who abuse our streets, our parks and public thoroughfares. Compassion needs to make Hannah-Beth Jackson and Das Williams accountable for the wasted billions of Prop 43 dollars that was dedicated to address these very problems.

foofighter (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 9:15 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I choose to look at the practical aspects of this issue. By definition, when you're homeless, you're sans bathroom. Try spending a few days away from your home without a car and you'll soon figure it out.

To accelerate the learning experience, drink lots of coffee.

January 30, 2014 at 9:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@Spacey, I'm a local, born and raised. I go downtown whenever I like. See you @Yogurtland.

January 30, 2014 at 9:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Foo, may you receive the same compassion you prescribe when your house of cards comes falling down.

January 30, 2014 at 10:48 a.m. (Suggest removal)

We just need some rain.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 11:33 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Just keep voting for Liberal Democrats.
Problem solved!

realitycheck88 (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 7:15 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Discourage anyone you see handing money to vagrants, who only use it to buy one more day on the streets addicted to booze and drugs".

I will make an excellent day-glo sign saying "don't feed the transients" and parade up and down State St. tomorrow.l

"Why do they smell so bad? They admit by smelling bad they can discourage others from coming near them."

That's a new one on me, but that's good for a laugh. I'd say EastBeach refutes this point very well.

I'll start working on that sign right now.
I might also suggest the possibility that all the bars downtown contribute to the problem. When I worked at the News-Press as a security guard, I'd see countless guys draining the main vein by the dumpster, which reeked of urine, and almost all were clean-cut guys coming out of the local bars.

foofighter (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

January 30, 2014 at 8:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

We need public restrooms downtown for everyone. One in lot 10 isn't sufficient.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
January 30, 2014 at 9:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Rome and Tenochtitlan had facilities.

Adonis_Tate (anonymous profile)
January 31, 2014 at 4:26 a.m. (Suggest removal)

City workers could use Grey water (Not fit for human consumption) treated with a fragrance laced, bio-degradable environmental safe detergent and spray-off the main walkways in the very early morning hours before the rush hour crowd comes out. Local Bars and eateries could spray out the areas behind their establishments or dump their floor wash water in those areas that people use for Urinals. Hey! When is the Water Desal plant to open and relieve the area of the water shortage?!

dou4now (anonymous profile)
January 31, 2014 at 6:23 a.m. (Suggest removal)