Fiesta Animal Cruelty

Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Comments

When I moved to this city with its outstanding city college and university, I believed it to be an enlightened place to live. That is why I was shocked and saddened to see the rodeo come to town during Fiesta. I find it backward and barbaric to celebrate Santa Barbara’s heritage by tormenting innocent animals. One hundred years ago, circus sideshows had morbidly obese women and conjoined twins to gawk at. This ceased to be when mankind saw the immorality of this. The rodeo should be canned or at the very least confined to games between horse and rider.

We don’t celebrate the early American colonies by showing witch burnings, and we don’t celebrate the old South by holding slave beatings. Now it is time to stop celebrating Old Spanish Days with animal cruelty!

Comments

Sorry! maybe its not as enlightened as you thought
Keep the rodeo

dadof3 (anonymous profile)
July 29, 2014 at 1:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Rounding up cows for people to eat still happens honey.
You can't hide from it in SB or any place else because cowboy is still a valid job discription.
Enjoy your steak and thank a coyboy when you see one.

sslocal (anonymous profile)
July 29, 2014 at 2:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

When you moved to this city it had been having a rodeo at the annual Fiesta for decades. In fact it's world famous.
And circus sideshows may no longer have freak shows, the County fairs still do! And what is most Reality TV but a freak show broadcast into the home?

July 29, 2014 at 3:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"And what is most Reality TV but a freak show broadcast into the home?" -Ken Volok

You have no idea.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
July 29, 2014 at 4:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Loon, that's frighteningly close to a donkey show there.

July 29, 2014 at 4:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"When I moved to this city with its outstanding city college and university, I believed it to be an enlightened place to live. "
HEH!
"I came to casablanca for the waters."
What waters? We're in the desert."
"I was misinformed."

July 29, 2014 at 11:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Come to think of it Claire, "Yea Olde Witch Burning Days" does have a certain ring to it. Count me as a supporter of that future fest AND the rodeo.

nomoresanity (anonymous profile)
August 1, 2014 at 6:27 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Um the rodeo is a tradition here. You should have done more research before moving to SB. Also, have you ever been to the rodeo in town? It's not as grotesque as the protestors make it seem. Animals aren't covered in blood, they're not being beaten in front of a cheering crowd. Go live on a farm for a year, see how little animals care about being herded, pushed and poked. Then after a long 15 hour day in the heat where you're ready to collapse, enjoy a nice steak or fried chicken that lived a good life and was killed humanely then tell me about how sad you are we still have the rodeo in town.

Bluegrass805 (anonymous profile)
August 6, 2014 at 2:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)