Taxi drivers protest at De la Guerra Plaza that ride-sharing companies Uber and Lyft enjoy an unfair advantage.

Paul Wellman

Cabbies Take Uber Drivers to Task

Taxi Companies Protest Outside City Hall on Friday

Monday, June 2, 2014
Comments

Disgruntled taxi drivers gathered outside City Hall last Friday afternoon to argue companies like Uber and Lyft are violating Santa Barbara law. Congregating on the sidewalk and holding signs above their heads, several cabbies contended the drivers hailed by taxi apps get an unfair advantage because they are not bound by the same regulations that the 68 taxi companies here must adhere to. Murmurs from frustrated taxi drivers have circulated since Uber landed in town last fall — Lyft launched a couple of months ago — but Friday marked the first coordinated protest, as cab drivers claimed their revenue has since dropped by 60 percent.

Jonathan McKee with Door to Door Taxi argued that the taxi-app companies’ “partners” shirk the rigorous process of applying for a taxicab permit, a business license through the city finance department. “You need a business permit to sell hot dogs on the street corner,” asserted McKee. He also argued taxi companies must pay for commercial insurance, meet safety codes, list fares, and pass background checks conducted by law enforcement.

Uber and Lyft drivers also must clear background checks — albeit not through the police department. Instead, these booming transportation companies fall under the jurisdiction of the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC), which created a new regulatory class last year called transportation network companies. The action required such companies to implement a zero-tolerance policy on drugs and alcohol and sign up for $1 million per incident insurance coverage for crashes involving vehicles and drivers while they are providing services.

Taxi drivers protest at De la Guerra Plaza the unfair business rules involving ride sharing companies Uber and Lyft.
Click to enlarge photo

Paul Wellman

Taxi drivers protest at De la Guerra Plaza the unfair business rules involving ride sharing companies Uber and Lyft.

Uber spokesperson Eva Behrend maintained all drivers operate under the permit granted by the utilities commission. She also said their background checks includes county, multistate, and federal checks that go back seven years, the maximum time allowed by California law. “… [Uber is] proud that thousands of Santa Barbara area residents are using and enjoying the freedom afforded by our technology as both driver partners and riders,” she said in a statement.

But McKee asserted that each driver should be required to obtain a permit through the city to operate as a business in Santa Barbara. “It’s not fair to the drivers or to the public. Five people at the PUC said the economy is bad [and legalized transportation network companies],” McKee said. “We’re being duped.” (In the past, Santa Barbara cabbies have cried foul because an unlimited number of taxi companies can exist in the city; some companies are a one-car, one-driver operation. Approximately 500 cab drivers work the streets in Santa Barbara.)

The retaliation by cab companies is not unique, and a taxi association in London recently took legal action against Uber, a multibillion-dollar Silicon Valley start-up that has landed in 115 countries worldwide. In London, the dispute centers around whether or not the app constitutes a device fit to calculate a fare. Since these companies use smartphone GPS to calculate fares, their “meters” cannot be checked, while cab meters are subject to inspection, they argued.

Uber drivers are “partners” — not “employees” — the company maintains, and what constitutes as “on the job” has become a topic of debate. In San Francisco on New Year’s Eve, an Uber driver hit and killed a 6-year-old pedestrian. In response to a civil complaint filed against the company, Uber attorney Ann Asiano argued in a court filing the driver was not carrying a passenger at the time, driving to pick up a passenger, or receiving a request for service through the Uber app. (In March, Uber beefed up its commercial insurance policy to cover the time between trips to eliminate any ambiguity, Behrend said.)

Police spokesperson Sgt. Riley Harwood said, “While [the codes we have in place] do evolve, they are always behind the curve in terms of how companies evolve.” The PUC is not a local entity, and it does not have the ability to interface with these drivers and companies, which could be problematic in terms of regulation, said Harwood.

Santa Barbara Uber community manager Andy Iro said he was aware of the protests on Friday, and he maintained that Uber is a platform — drivers simply must have a clean driving background and comply with the training, he said: “Then anybody — even taxi drivers — can drive.”

Comments

I for one am happy that the cab drivers in this town are getting knocked down a few pegs.

The taxi drivers in this town tend to be rude nasty jerks who get upset when you want to pay with a credit card or are only going a couple of miles. Uber and Lyft drivers on the other hand have always been pleasant and friendly to me and I've never had any serious problems with them. The one time I did have an issue the company got in touch with me right away to come to a resolution.

The cab companies in this town have grown fat and lazy. Let free market competition sort this out.

HankHill (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 12:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The irony here is that taxi cabs have been infringing on tour companies by conducting wine tours/city tours on a per fare basis. Which is completely illegal unless they have a Public Utilities Commission(PUC) Transportation Carrier Permit(TCP). The city won't regulate this infringement because as long as the meter in the cab is running and they don't charge over the meter or get complaints they won't enforce. The PUC says they cannot enforce these illegal cab tour companies because it lies outside their jurisdiction.
The city has allowed too many cab companies and it is ruining the more than just their industry.

sbfunlover (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 12:40 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I would have to agree with the previous comment. We had an occasion last week to use two cabs, two separate cab drivers and companies. The first driver was very difficult: After having phoned ahead and booking the cab, notifying the dispatcher that we would be paying by credit card, and that we would pay the cab driver to wait fifteen minutes before we could leave, the driver when he showed up was reluctant to do either. I reiterated that my husband was running late and we would pay for the fifteen minutes the driver would wait in his cab at the curb. He acted as though this was news to him, and he was not willing to do it. Finally, I had to agree on a set price (I had no problem doing this) but he still was angry about waiting. Once we were on our way he drove extremely fast, dangerously fast, and said he had another pick up across town, and we were making him late. I told him that we would give him a good tip - and we did. But I am hesitant to ever use this cab company again. Our second cab driver who was waiting at the Amtrak station on our return was a cab we had not called for. But since it was late at night, he was there, and the next cab in the queue we had to use him. The cab was old, broken-looking, filthy inside- crowded with papers, maps, and soda cups, and smelled awful. The driver was a delightful guy, but the cab was another story. There's no way this cab could have received a license from the city, but there it was (along with three other rather pitiful looking cabs) in the taxi queue at the Amtrak station. They were the only cabs at the station, so we were stuck having to take one of them. Next time we need a cab I will definitely try Uber which my son in NYC says is a good company.

izarradar (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 12:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

used lyft and uber.......by far the only way to go in sb.

and in sf 2 weeks ago where one of my offspring lives, she utilized a cab app that did the same thing as uber...result was a fast cashless transaction on time cab.

these guys can go pound sand. ( and some of them probably have). unnecessary crack i know, couldn't resist. .

lawdy (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 1:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Several cabbies contended the drivers hailed by taxi apps get an unfair advantage because they are not bound by the same regulations that the 68 taxi companies here must adhere to."

Let me take a WILD GUESS and say that these 'cabbies' are not for lifting the burdensome regulations that make cabs in this town so expensive and difficult, yet allow them to monopolize the individual public transportation industry in this town..

I completely support people who want to use lyft and uber, I wish the taxi companies would advocate dropping regulations on their industry so that they can lower their prices and compete with uber and lyft.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 1:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Cabs have been the only game for a long time.
Uber & Lyft provide excellent service and have figured out how to serve customers in a much more professional way than most cab companies.
Right on Uber & Lyft! May you prevail in court at all levels!

mangomamma (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 2:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Why does a sidewalk art vendor on the weekend have to pay the $100 business license fee, but an oober of leeft driver does not have to pay this city fee for what is so obviously an individual business as well?

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 3:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

^Because it makes everything more expensive for the users of those services.

You should have stopped at, "Why does a sidewalk art vendor on the weekend have to pay a $100 business license fee"?

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 4:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

In a town with so much drinking, it is really dumb to tax people who drive drunk people around if you are trying to prevent drunk driving.

If anything, tax the alcohol sales.. although you start doing that and then people just go to the liquor store and drink cheap liquor then go out to the bars and they are even more hammered, so tread lightly whenever you tax as you are bound to make things worse if you don't.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 2, 2014 at 4:33 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah Loonpt but Santa Barbara loves to punish free enterprise so trying to point out logic to them is useless.

Big picture: Too many people crammed into a small area, a town that relies on getting people drunk for revenue, a local government that loves to shove draconian regulations down the throats of those who live and run businesses there, and a lot of angry, frustrated people as a result.

Sad stuff.

June 2, 2014 at 7:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Lawdy,
That was a politically incorrect and racist joke "some of them probably already have" .
Shame.

DarrylGenis (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 6:55 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Uber has changed the way those of us that don't live downtown can have a drink and a safe, clean, and affordable ride home. The cab drivers in this town are rude and their technology is old. Maybe THEY should of put together a system where I can see where the closest cab is and how soon it will be to my location. But no, they are left in the dark ages where I have to call a dispatcher and wait 20 minutes, then be driven by a madman who is pissed I am only going 3 miles. My Uber drivers have been awesome to deal with and have shown up in just minutes. A rising tide raises all ships, and I think Uber is great for this town. Time to get your act together, cabbies.

SB_Guy (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 8:06 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I wonder how many of these cabbies who claim Uber/Lyft are outside the law are themselves undocumented or have overstayed their visas.I would rather have an Uber driver living next door to me than than a 10 year old mini van with a bad paint job.

garfish (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 8:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I love how the cabbies park in the Downtown Shuttle bus stops so that passengers can't get off or on the shuttle at the designated stops.

And seeing how these cabbies drive, you have to wonder if any of them ever had to pass a driving test.

sbkid (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 8:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Totally agree with SB_Guy. I'm sick of filthy taxis, broken seat belts, windows that don't close or open, drivers who drive like maniacs checking/texting/talking on their cell phones, not knowing where they are going (but don't tell you that until you are already zooming down some street), outrageous fares (plus dealing with the tip), meters that "Uh oh, guess it must be broken..."), incredibly rude drivers who may or who may not even get out of their cab to help with luggage, some who actually refuse to take a "short-mile" fare, having to go through a dispatcher who may or may not dispatch a car in a timely fashion... and doesn't tell you the truth. Several years ago, there was a shuttle operating to/from the SB airport (I know there's another one now.) While I was away, the service had shut down. My only option was a cabbie who almost laughed as he swaggered over and gleefully charged me $50 to get downtown. I swore never again! Uber/Lyft drivers, at least in my experience in a variety of U.S. locations, are neatly dressed, get out of the car if luggage needs handling, their vehicles are immaculate, and they are polite -- whether it's a two-mile ride or making a long run. I refuse to be held hostage with the "insurance" or "background check" argument. It is an aged, out-of-touch institution, with a take-it-for-granted attitude. If these new players raise the bar, we all win. If they keep more people from driving after drinking, we all win.

mesafan (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 10:09 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Uber and Lyft drivers also get individual reviews; many of these local cabbies would get put out of business overnight if passengers could individually rate them.
The overwhelmingly negative comments here are the real reason these cabbies are feeling the pinch.

June 3, 2014 at 10:16 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I am an Uber driver and I constantly ask my riders if they like Uber & how it is working for them. The consistently reply "It's great!' Quick pick ups, clean cars and pleasant drivers are the huge pluses. Uber is more dependable than a cab, less expensive and a good experience.

I, for one, am glad to see so many UCSB, SBCC and others using Uber when they are out for a night of drinking. It's safer for them & safer for the rest of us.

The taxi drivers have been described as grumpy and unfriendly. Uber rider comments have included "I feel like I just rode with a friend." The taxi cabs have been referred to as dirty & smelly. Uber cars are always clean & Uber cars do not discriminate among riders between how close or how far the ride is. Uber standards require that you pick up a minimum of 80% of the requests - but we always strive for 100% and for a 5 star rating.

The riders I have met have been happy, funny, interesting, educational, informative and always leave with a thank you to me. Uber is the best alternative to residents from all parts of Santa Barbara. I work hard, I aim to please, I am genuinely happy at my job and I provide a service to people that they cannot get elsewhere.

Uber on!

summer (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 10:41 a.m. (Suggest removal)

It's ironic the regulated system has such poor service and lousy passenger conditions and the 'un-regulated' is clean and efficient. Instant public ratings feedback are a powerful thing, just as 'Amazon', 'Yelp', Google+, etc. have proven.

If the rude and maniacal taxi drivers changed affiliations to Uber I wonder how long they'd last....

grummitt (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 11:01 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"It's ironic the regulated system has such poor service and lousy passenger conditions and the 'un-regulated' is clean and efficient."

No, it's really not ironic at all.

You know how the government likes to regulate computer devices and electronics? Oh wait, the government DOESN'T regulate computer devices and electronics and even people on WELFARE are walking around with iPhones and iPads nowadays, the free market is always going to dominate central planning and high taxation. It is always going to provide more high quality affordable services to more people.

You know how the government likes to regulate energy, education, housing, food and health care? You know how all those things suck and/or are really expensive? Doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out why.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 11:26 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Interesting, a good lesson. I've never had a bad cab driver. My regular bartender usually called a cab; I met very good drivers. I also ended up, a few years ago, with a great driver from Lucky's, who took my friend and I to and from a planned, multicourse dinner.
Sunshine Taxi was fantastic -- great with dogs in the car!
Jill at Economy -- yes, I realize how long ago that was.
Recently, Ben, night shift, SB Yellow Cab. He offered to help me to my door. I know that could be a subterfuge. I'm a single female.
Does Summer at Uber have a phone number for luddites? HA ha (Nelson laugh). I don't go out much anymore.

geraldbostock (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 8:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I got drunk one night, I mean like totally plastered, so I called a taxi, but I was so blitzed I cant remember which one it was. The driver picked me up, literally, because I was too drunk to stand up. He put me in the back seat, and the next thing I remember, I was waking up in my bed, but I was missing a bag of weed. I thought "Oh s--t, now Im in big trouble. The following night, I heard a ring on the doorbell of my Montecito estate, and by the time I answered it, nobody was there, but there was my bag of weed, with a complimentary roach clip! The note said "this fell out in my cab, so Im returning it to you". I was so moved by this expression of kindness, that I flushed the weed down the toilet, threw out all my booze, and have been straight and sober ever since.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
June 3, 2014 at 8:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hello Kelsey,
Very good article that you wrote, Cabbies Take Uber Drivers to Task. Thanks for being fair.

You got the point across to your readers; that TNC drivers do not have a business license.
I read all (21) comments. They get the point. I gather from the comments that most feel as though a business license is an antiquated idea. Such is the sweet innocence of youth.

At one time way back when, someone said, "there ought to be a rule against that." One person who comes to mind is Ralph Nader. He practically invented the idea of a regulatory bureaucracy. Public Safety was his thing; consumer protection. He's the guy who got seat belts regulated into every vehicle.

Our challenge now is that if the City allows the TNC drivers to drive-for-hire without a business license, then other business owners will begin to feel slighted about paying for a business license. Who needs them? What are they for? I wonder how the public will feel knowing that some business owners don't bother with a business license? Don't we all feel better knowing that businesses like day care providers, taxi companies, bread bakers, pet stores, hair stylists, etc. are required to check in at least once a year with an official entity whose job it is to secure consumer protection?

Heck, if a business license isn't required, why bother with border patrol?

LOOKINGFORAGOODREAD (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 1:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Sure, the peer-to-peer rating system is great until the bullies kick in and take a prejudice toward one person. Doesn't the rough-around-the-edges guy deserve to make a living? Some people are hard to like. And, some people are hard to please. That's why we have government regulations. The definition of a bureaucrat is: an official who works by fixed routine without exercising intelligent judgment.

The Public loves a cheap price. Once again, the consumers will gladly pay a private company Billions of Dollars. And soon, in the near future, the private company will grow so large that it will starve out the little companies. The big company will eventually monopolize the whole industry. It will lower the non-negotiable pay rate. It will place its money profits off-shore from America. It will begin buying political ads to entice the public to elect their selected representatives who will make laws in favor of the corporate geniuses. And the Public, who loves those low prices, will whine because they, the public, don't like the regulations that their elected officials created.

The TNC's love their control over the Billions of dollars of cashless transactions. Such control should chill you a bit. But youth ignores such feelings; awesome new technology is a great distractor.

My prediction is: Uber & Lyft will not be there for you at 4am nor during rush hour. They won't take more than four people per vehicle. Take it or leave it. No choice. Uber and Lyft swoop in during peak hours, pick the low hanging fruit, and take a bit of everybody's money. TNC's are not in the transportation business, they are in the money transaction business.

Drive-for-hire is a serious responsibility. The Uber driver who killed a six year old was out to make a quick buck. Had he been regulated by the requirement to obtain a business license, he would have been more aware of his responsibilities to drive safely. The six year old may have been saved by that business license, if not, at least we, the community, tried to educate the driver to be as careful as possible. Regulation is the ultimate educator. Young folks don't know this yet.

Because America's youth are taking more years to simply grow-up, out of their innocent ignorance, the danger of them creating systems that fail to safe guard against wrong doers becomes inevitable.

My position? Expect the best, but be prepared for the worst. A business license covers both ends of the spectrum.

Thanks for your attention. It was fun talking with you.
Jonathan McKee

LOOKINGFORAGOODREAD (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 1:46 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This code will make your first ride free, up to $25.00. Download the Lyft app. The code must be typed in before you click "Request Lyft". Enter code: SCOTTY164 and enjoy your ride! http://www.lyft.com/invited/SCOTTY164 Thank you!!!

scottyca (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 5:02 a.m. (Suggest removal)

On the city council agenda for August:
who really has to pay the $100 annual fee for a business license, and why, and how are they compelled to pay up.

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 8:35 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Ha! This is great. The cab companies in SB are so rediculously expensive. With no consistency at all across companies or cars, the fares can range by 100% or more...

In fact cabs are more expensive in SB than any other city in the US. You can go from downtown NYC to the Upper East Side for half what it costs to go from the airport to downtown SB.

And the fact that many of the drivers I have used in SB are illegal immigrants who speak barley a word in English is enough to make me want to destroy all the companies in this town. I love Uber. Its convenient, safe, inexpensive and dependable.

The best thing that can possibly happen to consumers in SB is to have Uber and Lyft force the cab companies to compete on a level playing field.

iamsomeguyinsb (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 9:42 a.m. (Suggest removal)

"Uber ..... will not be there for you at 4am nor during rush hour. They won't take more than four people per vehicle. Take it or leave it. No choice. Uber ... swoop in during peak hours, pick the low hanging fruit, and take a bit of everybody's money."

I drive 5 days/wk during rush hour. Uber also offers an incentive to drivers for driving in the early morning hours. Surge pricing is fair competition for supply vs demand but I don't search it out. If I am out it is most likely the surge prices will end before I can get across town. There are rules. I can take only 4 riders because that is how many seat belts I have for passengers. If you need transportation for more, you can request Uber Black."

summer (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 10:39 a.m. (Suggest removal)

This piece of the article is especially precious:

"In the past, Santa Barbara cabbies have cried foul because an unlimited number of taxi companies can exist in the city;"

What?!

Should we limit the number of restaurants? Cap the number of coffee shops? So what if there are a lot of restaurants, coffee shops or cabs? That's GREAT! It means there are plenty of choices nearby for customers to choose from.

The solution is not to hold protests and complain. The solution is to compete and provide an equal or better service - or go work for Uber or Lyft.

and get the government the heck out of the way! Let people decide to get in a car or not - it's their choice. Stop the nanny state.

realitycheck88 (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 11:31 a.m. (Suggest removal)

No sympathy for the cabbies whatsoever. Worst drivers on the road, lowest IQ, and by and large downright rude. They'd better stop whining and get used to the new paradigm. Won't ever use a cab again. Too expensive and unprofessional.

Draxor (anonymous profile)
June 4, 2014 at 3:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I can't say that every single taxi cab driver is bad--although they might be, I don't know--but Draxor is right, of all the demographics of drivers, they are the worst--in an area where most people are bad drivers.

June 4, 2014 at 6:47 p.m. (Suggest removal)

American Dream is present at every stage of personal and corporate level, it's our choice to select Either type of service, some cabbies are exceptional & professional individuals exceeding customer satisfaction, they will be fine because they understand customer service, their Professionalism and Dedication will exceed in every sector they perform & because of that
We had developed our own app Called LUXDER based in our beautiful Santa Barbara Town.

Luxder app available this summer at apple and android stores, use code (8754r) and get 10% on your first Luxder ride.

Luxder on!

Lux (anonymous profile)
June 6, 2014 at 2:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Mr. Summer,
Do you have a business license to conduct business in the City of Santa Barbara?

If you do not sir, then you are committing a crime.

Santa Barbara Municipal Code:

5.04.060 Compliance Required by Businesses.
There are imposed upon the businesses specified and unspecified in this chapter taxes in the amounts prescribed, and it is unlawful for any person to transact and carry on any business in the City without first complying with any and all applicable provisions of this chapter, and each day such business is carried on without such compliance shall constitute a separate violation of this chapter. (Ord. 2930 §4(a), 1963.)

1.28.020 Penalty for Misdemeanor.
Unless otherwise specified in this Code, a misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), imprisonment for a term not exceeding six (6) months, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Ord. 4408, 1986; Ord. 4067, 1980.)

LOOKINGFORAGOODREAD (anonymous profile)
June 15, 2014 at 3:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

@LOOKINGFORAGOODREAD do you go to McDonalds and ask the cash register operators if they have a personal business license? Uber drivers are working for Uber and in fact get paid by Uber. If Uber has a business license to operate in Santa Barbara then that would be enough to satisfy the legal requirements.

However I believe that if the city issues business licenses they should be given out freely or for a very minimal administrative cost of less than $10. The information should be used primarily to help or protect the business. It can be used by citizens voluntarily as a reference guide. Ultimately citizens should be able to decide who they do business with. If they want to do business with businesses who don't have a license then they should be able to do so at their own discretion. I don't think anybody should ever be restricted from consensual business transactions, and I think doing so is immoral as it is a huge detriment to the wealth and therefore potentially the very well-being of others.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 15, 2014 at 11:17 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Uber drivers also pay tremendous fees to Uber.

June 15, 2014 at 11:53 a.m. (Suggest removal)

And uber provides the drivers with iphones and an indispensable marketing and customer retrieval tool, they also have a competitor who can offer them lower fees if theirs are too high.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 15, 2014 at 12:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

They do NOT provide their drivers with iPhones. In the end it's uber and taxi drivers are getting screwed. Uber will lower rates on drivers and expect them to eat the difference.

June 15, 2014 at 12:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Then program another taxi app like Lux and provide the drivers with higher fees. Just don't ask the government to fix the problem, they can't.

loonpt (anonymous profile)
June 15, 2014 at 12:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)