News-Press Photog Fired

Monday, March 31, 2014
Comments

Mike Eliason, prize-winning, veteran photographer for the Santa Barbara News-Press, has been fired, apparently after he complained to Cal/OSHA about alleged newsroom mold issues.

No one is commenting for the record, but according to reports circulating in the community, Eliason filed a complaint with the state Division of Occupational Safety and Health about a potentially hazardous situation. In turn, the paper supposedly accused Eliason of giving away photo prints, a traditional but limited practice among newspaper photographers as a public relations measure.

Eliason also works as a photographer for the County Fire Department in his role as Public Education Officer for the department.

Eliason was a member of the newsroom union’s marathon effort to hammer out a contract, which might have put him in a bull’s-eye situation. A number of alleged federal labor relations law violations, including firing a group of reporters, were dismissed by a Washington, D.C., appeals court, but new charges against the newspaper will be before a National Labor Relations Board hearing here scheduled for May 12.

Eliason’s Santa Barbara attorneys, David Nye and Jon Miller, declined comment. Don Katich, News-Press director of news operations, stated in an email: “Mr. Elaison was terminated for violation of NP policy consisting of giving away NP photographs and publishing NP photographs on his outside commercial website. Mr. Eliason was sent a cease and desist letter at the same time of his termination asking that he remove the NP photos from his website, which he has since done. When he suspected he was about to be terminated he wrote a letter complaining about ‘mold’, which was an issue he raised last year and then dropped after the NP cleaned vents in the Newsroom as he had requested.”

Comments

Mike Eliason is a class act and one of the best breaking news photographers Santa Barbara has ever known.

Wendy McCaw may consider the newspaper business her hobby job, but she really seems to take the most pleasure from ruining working class folks' livelihoods. If for some reason you forgot how much trauma and heartbreak she inflicted on this community 8 years ago - it's not too late: Cancel the News-Press.

slouchingtowardSB (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 2:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes, Mike truly WAS a class act; no matter what the situation, he was always nice and considerate to me during the time I worked there.

March 31, 2014 at 3:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Barney will appreciate this more than most but since Craig Smith stopped blogging we rarely get the opportunity to comment on the state of the SBNP. I have been reading the SBNP all my life, my parents had a subscription before I was born. I understand the request to stop subscription but I like to read some of the local news and local sports and as much as I find it disgusting, I do take some morbid pleasure in reading the rest of the SBNP today and I do read it everyday. Andy and Lanny get loonier by the day, now attacking UCSB as though it is a homogeneous institution of liberalism when in fact it is one of the most sought after University's in the nation. I am certain Andy couldn't get in today with his high school academics. Now in addition to the Washington Times bylines and McClatchy, we have Fox News. Most people in Santa Barbara don't know about the Washington Times but the SBNP has shown their cards in using this source as a go to byline recently, talk about out there. That our local daily is now anti-environment pro-oil, anti-family planning, anti-Obama after two elections, using right wing byline news sources is a very curious development in our local history. This from a still relatively recent transplant of an owner who is a childless single divorcee, and her boyfriend from the British Isle who was Nipper, the proprietor of the wildest nightclub in town in his day, now they are the right wing, Tea Party, Libertarians, again very curious. I never thought things could get worse than they were in the Travis Armstrong era when he would completely make things up for his Editorials, but they are.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 3:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Wendy, what a piece of work (read between the words here people!).

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 3:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And what was up with the one day narrow paper last week? Did they run out of paper? Or did everyone complain and they had to go back?

Then there is Katich as McCaw's paid henchmen. Some would be more scared of his Wife than him! Maybe she could provide some insight on mold abatement and health in buildings?

Finally in closing, I would say Mr. Nye is a reputable employment attorney and he wouldn't take this case unless it held water. Seems Katich statement is trying to plug a hole in the boat since the letter was mailed the SAME day as the photog was fired for what is considered a traditional but limited practice.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 3:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Typical of the news press... find something good within your organization? chop it off! Mike Eliason was the best thing the NP had going for it. I wish him good luck and feel certain he will remain afloat long after the news press boat has sunk.

MoKajavva (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 4:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 4:36 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I will not buy a News-Suppress...not by subscription nor from a newsrack. That witch will never see a penny of my money for that birdcage liner. I make it a point that the ONLY time I will look at it is if there is one lying about in a restaurant or the laundromat, etc., that someone else purchased. Even then...it's such a fishwrap that I find reading it painful.

It might not seem like it today, Mike, but trust me...your life just improved on an epic scale. If you don't want to smell like poop, don't swim in a toilet....so now you get to go shower off and live the rest of your life as an honorable, sweeter-smelling individual :-)

Holly (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 5:06 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Now THIS is total BS. Owners' control of editorial content is one thing, but this smacks of the old pre-union robber barons.

JohnLocke (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 5:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Scr** McCaw! She saved Willy the whale but never did a damned thing for us dolphins!

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 9:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

It's pretty petty and short-sighted to object to a photographer using photos on their website, or giving away prints here and there. After all, the photos themselves bring attention to stories the News Press covers. It's free publicity for the paper the more his photos are seen. Cant' they see we see through this? I think he should sue, and get a nice settlement. It smacks of retaliation.
I wonder how Wendy will feel on her deathbed some day. Will she finally feel like she got even enough and rest in peace THEN?

eddiekd (anonymous profile)
March 31, 2014 at 10:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I get all my local news from the Independent, Noozhawk and EdHat. Who needs these SOB's masquerading as a professional news organization!

rukidding (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:22 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Sounds like News Press Retaliation for Mr.Eliason's participation in "hammer out a contract's", a law breaking employer never sleeps when setting their sites on a 'Whistle Blower", they will follow you till the end of your days, Right Ms. McCaw?

dou4now (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 7:56 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Just when you think the McCaw woman can't get any more mean, vicious and vindictive.....

Santa Barbara truly deserves better than this travesty that McCaw and Von Weaselburger are trying to pass off as a newspaper.

RexOfSB (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. (Suggest removal)

hey nipper,....your missus is a right cow.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 9:18 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh please. This town simply does not need a Sr photographer on the beat... not only is the newspaper antiquated, so is the thought of a full time staff in a town where nothing happens and what does happen is immediately broadcast by a thousand cell phones...

The fact that many of you people are still stuck on the now 7 years old hubablub speaks more to YOU than to the NewsPress or McCaw. Get over yourselves already. You were not that important, you are not that important.

The guy broke the rules, lost his overpaid gig and now is being hugged by the rest of the dinosaurs still hanging onto their dead professions and their lost years... There are a ton of TV repairmen and buggywhip makers out there crying in their spilled milk as well... maybe you should all get together and demand that time does not move forward...

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 10:38 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Yes I love the double full page spreads on ....animals and pets! Riveting material! Soon the sports section will be dominated by..yes you got it...THE PUPPY BOWL!

Granted it's never possible to please everyone, but I think this town has had it's fill of the McCaw's and the downgrade in the news press. And what up with X hubby Craig buying a spread out on the west end of Goleta? Does he want to keep an eye on Nipper? Are Wendy and Katich going to star in Mean Girls 2?

While this is a bummer, I think anyone that works there is going to have read the writing on the wall. Seems she has the Gov't in her $$ pocket too because they always seem to overturn any ruling against her.

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 11:45 a.m. (Suggest removal)

sammy_tab: "The guy broke the rules, lost his overpaid gig and now is being hugged by the rest of the dinosaurs still hanging onto their dead professions and their lost years.."

Since when is notifying OSHA about a concern on a job site "breaking the rules" as you state?
Talk about living in the past there sammy! You're stuck in the pre-Muckrakers era. You lose... again.

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 12:16 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh Blah, you poor stupid old sap... still trying to sound smart by cutting and pasting?

Its not working. You still sound like an idiot.

OSHA? HA HA... the guy was fired for selling NP owned photos. Only a fool would associate the termination of an overpaid news photog with that of retaliation for a superfluous OSHA filing...There's mold in my newsroom he said! Ha ha. What a waste of time and money...

No you turd, he was fired because this was a fireable offense and since he was an over paid union worker the only way to cut him was to cite some sort of a violation of his employment agreement. Which he knowingly, willingly, violated... End of story. Cut to the credits.... rolling to dark in 3, 2, 1 BEEEEEEEP

Too bad you and your tiny brain cant contemplate such a simple move by management... Surprising since I am sure that you've been fired many, many times...you'd think a moron like you would understand that you dont piss in the well and expect a drink...

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:35 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam Tababa, real name of some real people. Filipino, is ours here for real? Not very pleasant or inspired input and I did read all your posts.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Eliason IS a class act and a terrific person, not to mention an outstanding photographer! Whoever he works for in the future will be very fortunate. I suspect his psyche is relieved, even though it's never easy to be on a job search.
Wenders, the Nip, Katich and others pretending to know journalism and journalistic ethics are Ignorant, Mean, Sad and Sick. Really, words are inadequate...

mangomamma (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

And to the rest of you complainers. Nothing is stopping any of you from starting your own newspaper. Not a thing. In fact, its never been easier or cheaper. What are you waiting for?

When can we expect to read your paper? Or are you people just another whiny, envious Santa Barbara resident who complains about everything while doing absolutely nothing to change the problem?

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam Tababa=small mind/angry person. You are wasting our time.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam, you are the dominant whiner in this thread. How about STFU? For the record, nowhere in the article did it say Eliason sold photos. It said he gave away prints in a fashion that is standard for his industry. And that he displayed images on his website.

You'd think after 25 (or more?) years of service making the NP look good they would have dealt with him in a more respectful manner.

MoKajavva (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dang...someone seems to be taking these posts awfully personal. Name calling this and that..OWIE! The truth will come out in the wash, some people are violently allergic to black mold. It doesn't go away without major work. My guess is it will all depend on the timing of the events chronologically. Who did what first? Also, how standard is the practice of sharing photos? In the mean time as soon as I can pull how every many millions out of my A$$ to start my own paper, maybe I will. Or maybe instead I will just marry and divorce a rich guy and do whatever the hell I want?

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 2:02 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Your time SBREADER? What kind of idiot thinks their time is worthy of respect on a websites comment board? You must be one of the dinosaurs who are still clinging to the 20th century and hoping their union will save their worthless job... As if I give a rats a$$ about you or your time... good grief, what is wrong with people in this town? So much self righteousness... As if you matter!

I dont know Ed or do I have an opinion on him but I do know the news biz and the times have changed. There is no need for a union let alone a full time Sr photographer. Both of which are antiquated ideals left over from the previous century.. I also know that to remove a union employee, it must be for cause. And the guy violated his agreement. Sorry that's not convenient for your position but its exactly what the article states... And as someone who has dealt with unions and their uselessness, its perfectly apropos.

As for the MoKajavva dickwad. Dominate? 2 posts...I think you need a little education on when and how to use hyperbole.

The guy should have kept his mouth shut and thanked his lucky stars that someone was willing to pay him to be a news photographer in this era. You do realize that those jobs are gone right? They do not exist because they are no longer valuable... I know that is hard for some of you to understand but then again its SB where 50% of the population works for the Govt....

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 2:07 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Does a labor union really exist and function there?

John_Adams (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 2:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sammy Boy you are so anti-SB Locals you are welcome to leave. In general there is a respect for people's time here. I see not a lone "like" for any of your Comments, today or in any of the previous posts under this pseudonym. As my Local friends and I have said all our lives to the likes of you, welcome to go back where you came from and leave us to our Santa Barbara fantasy life. I am a happy camper here.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 2:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I'll say one thing for Sam. At least he's consistent.

But it must be terrible going through life hating everyone that disagrees with you.

Botany (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 3 p.m. (Suggest removal)

".. still trying to sound smart by cutting and pasting? " -Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:35 p.m-

*I* would *never* cut and paste.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 3:18 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Poor LaBotany, You seem to confuse fun and care...You see I have fun belittling fools and I care less about them...

You on the other hand seem to think there is some sort of accumulated cred with the posts and replies that you leave online... Hate to burst that bubble of yours Botany, but you're time and energy are wasted as there is no glory in winning an argument online or even being in one... To quote the famous New Yorker cartoon. "On the internet no one knows you're a dog".

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 3:30 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Only a NeoNeanderthal would consider Photography a dead Art or lost profession; regardless of opinoon on this specific issue at hand.

April 1, 2014 at 4:28 p.m. (Suggest removal)

agree KV! Sam Tab notes "I have fun belittling fools and I care less about them…" -- all you do is whine, buster, and once you've had your day in the thread-sun you'll drop off like foo (whom you resemble), Hank, et al. Get a life.

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 4:38 p.m. (Suggest removal)

DavyBrown: The mention of foo/loon/et al. I hear a hint of that same voice! Could it be? We always knew he/she/it was schizo. Taking on a Filipino name and being so angry, right in character!

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 4:42 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Online, no one can hear you scream.

April 1, 2014 at 4:52 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Good grief you people are ridiculous. No, I am not these other posters. I am me. Say my name fast and you might get it... or not. Some of you are pretty darn dense.

Ken, I do not consider the art of photography to be dead. Quite the contrary. This is the golden age of photography. Its never been better, more accessible and more vibrant of an art form. But the job of a small town photojournalist? Well that's a whole different story...

In case you have been locked up in a old VW bus for the last decade local news is dead. And so is local photojournalism. Which is why a journeyman photojournalist in a small town is a dead profession. Especially in a town populated by thousands of photographers and tens of thousands of people who all have a camera on them at all times... Is that really so hard to understand? Even for an old hippie like you?

This story cracks me up for it brings out the I HATE WENDY MCCAW crowd to act in their self-righteous ways and point the finger at her, her money and her choices. The whole News Press boondoggle is such old news... it barely mattered when it happened and now 7 years later, far too many of you folks are still entrenched in your position and still barking about a non-issue.

This guy lost his job because he violated his employment agreement. There is no reason on earth that a photographer in a town like Santa Barbara should be union. Unions were about collective bargaining for fair working conditions and wages. Something that hasnt been a problem in 80 years. In case you people forget, we have laws at every level of our Govt that usurp the need for unions... They are superfluous and cost us all far too much money and time. Kill them.

I am amazed that people still read the News Press. It’s a tiny rag filled with AP wire and cute little human interest stories. They’re incredibly stupid in how they approach the new media world, locking everything behind their paywall. As if the 80 year old ladies who still subscribe to the NP access the website. But its her choice, its her business. If she wants to run it at a loss, that’s her choice. I don’t have to read it and I certainly don’t pay for it… And I can assume that this guy was making a pretty penny over there as a journeyman. So I can also assume that they wanted him out… that’s the way it works people.

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:12 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So, sammy, since when did reporting a concern about a job site to OSHA become a violation of rules?

blahblahmoreblah (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh Blah, poor blah, You obviously didnt read the article. Not a surprise since you read at a 3rd grade level. Go back, read it and respond when you figure out why that's not the point.... or not. Since you never respond with anything other than a cut and paste. But we'll be here waiting for you to articulate something, anything...

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:20 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam Tab: "Unions were about collective bargaining for fair working conditions and wages. Something that hasnt been a problem in 80 years." Ever heard of air traffic controllers? Or low wages at WalMart? You're an aging pseudo-libertarian and the swill you spew shows you for what you are, pseudo-foo!

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:31 p.m. (Suggest removal)

There is very definitely a need for several full time photographers for a news organization of the SBNP's scope in this area. It would be impossible for one camera to cover the entire region for a daily. Even weeklies, biweeklies and monthlies use several photographers. KEYT has more than one mobile camera unit, am I correct?

April 1, 2014 at 5:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ken, assuming that the NP makes money. Yes. They need several. Or at least enough stringers on call to cover their territory. But the market values this job very low. And I can imagine that a journeyman photographer who ruffled a few feathers, was a lot more expensive than a stringer or 5...

Davy, its best not to drink and type.

Walmart pays a legal wage. Their workers are free to leave at any time... There are no children working, no extremely dangerous working conditions, no 16hr shifts, and so on and so on... no need for a union at all. ATC is a profession staffed by professionals. No need for a union. If they dont like the job, they leave. If employer does something illegal, they're fined. Simple.

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 5:44 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Despite his denials, mentally ill people have no self realization, I still think our new Filipino member is foo. Yeah, yeah Sam tabarbara, just what foo would think up! That voice cannot be disguised . That stupid mentality is obvious.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 7:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

You can make yourself crazy trying to guess who's behind pseudonyms.

April 1, 2014 at 7:54 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Ha, when Sam-foo writes "Their workers are free to leave at any time… " uh, right. Obviously, you've never labored at the very low end, sycophant of the ueber-wealthy!

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 7:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah KV I would make a pretty healthy bet it is who I think it is. And yeah I do agree foo is who you said he is. Sad really. I don't wish that life on anyone.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 8:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

First of all, the lead is written incorrectly and is against objective journalism, which I assume you are all defending here. Here's what your editor should have put thru:
"Mike Eliason, prize-winning photog was fired for violating NP policy, etc. etc. However, according to Eliason, he believes he was terminated for complaints he made to Cal/OSHA about mold in the building, claiming the NP was negligent."
You should never use "apparently" or "supposedly" or (not in article, but I'm including it) "obviously."

Also: For all those who are calling Eliason a "class act" and "one of the best journalist photographers in SB"...please raise your hand if you were supporting his work by purchasing the News-Press.

spiritof76 (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 8:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Another schizo posting by foo.

sbreader (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 8:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Everybody's Foo except Shirley MacLaine.

April 1, 2014 at 8:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam, you are clearly in need of anger management training. That aside, you suck at trolling and your comprehension of this situation is a fail. You claim there is no need for a full time photographer? Actually the NP has (or had) three of them and they still needed additional coverage through stringers.

If Eliason gave away some free prints and displayed some images on his website you would think they would have warned him first and then moved forward with more extreme measures if he refused to comply with the warning.

There is strong evidence of a lot more to this situation than the few details in this article. Presumptuous arseholes like Sam, who claim the ability to divine the truth from a short article, flood the internet with dumbness.

Hopefully you (sam with the speech impediment) are not this ignorant and obnoxious in your live interactions.

MoKajavva (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 10:05 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yep, Walmart the business to emulate. So much for socialist, welfare queen, free-marketers.

Wal-Mart Stores collected well over $1 billion in state and local government subsidies during its decades-long expansion from a regional discount chain to the world's largest retailer, according to a report scheduled to be released today by a group that monitors job-subsidy programs.

But, Mr. Mattera said, the report argues that the low wages paid by Wal-Mart and the downward effect that has on wages at other retail operations, its negative effect on small businesses in the communities where it locates and its contribution to urban sprawl and traffic raise serious questions about the value of giving it sizable financial incentives to expand.

Bloomberg View: Yesterday, we looked at the benefit to McDonald's of having its workers subsidized by state and federal aid. Today, its Wal-Mart’s turn. Recall our discussion last month on the related subject of "How McDonald's and Wal-Mart Became Welfare Queens." We learned that employees of these two companies are often the largest recipients of aid in their states.

More recently, Wal-Mart’s holiday public-relations headache began when a Canton, Ohio, store decided to hold a food drive for needy local families for the holidays. What made this a PR nightmare was that the needy families were full time Wal-Mart employees who were working in the store holding a food drive.

tabatha (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 10:41 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Don't mind Sam_tabatha, he's Betwitched by money and will say anything.

Eiiason, who I am told is a very forthright guy by people who have worked with him, had the misfortune of trying to bring resolution to the horrible situation at the un-newspaper by working with the union. That's why this target was drawn on his back. Plain and simple. McCaw showed no regret at firing an entire newsroom for that reason, why suddenly the surprise at her latest axing. And people will accomodate her. The New Press is now run by McCaw's hatchet men who she brought in years ago. The news edtior had NO newspaper experience other than abusing interns at KYET as a poor manager. He was brought solely in to remove the union, which he has done. Except in the meantime his lack of experience has ruined the paper making it go from bad to worse. As proof that she tricked the courts into thinking she helped create Nextel (really? She can't even make a lousy little newspaper work....) McCaw demonstrates her inability at running a business by keeping this person in charge of the paper after his limited usefulness has run out. I bet old Craig didn't keep incompetent managers around building his empire. I'm sure if Nextel floundered like the News Mess, he's be changing things in a heartbeat. But like a sign of madness, McCooKoo keeps this guy around ... even though he's clueless ... hoping he'll suddenly learn how to run a newspaper. Isn't seven years of backslide enough for you, Wendy? Keep hoping! Your $150M investment is waiting....

elenablack (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 10:56 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"No you turd"

-Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 1, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.-

"
turd
[turd] Show IPA
noun Slang: Vulgar.
a piece of excrement.
a mean, contemptible person.
Origin:
before 1000; Middle English; Old English tord "

OK Sam, are you happy now? Blahblahandmoreblah has been sitting here with me for the last four hours crying because of how you hurt his feelings. What a big man you are, hurling insults at people.

So the next time you refer to someone as a "turd" or even as

BM
sewerage
skunk
snake
stinkard
stinker
or toad
please consider your actions, you mean, contemptible person you.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 3:17 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Everybody's Foo except Shirley MacLaine.

April 1, 2014 at 8:59 p.m.

Hey _Volok, what does Shirley MacLaine feed her cat?....

Answer: 99 lives.

dolphinpod14 (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 3:21 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I really do love the clairvoyance exhibited by some of you. SBreader could you be more wrong? Maybe...but not by much. FooFighter is me? You really arent that good of a reader... maybe you should change your name to something more appropriate... like SBbreeder

Davy, I have held the lowest of the low. I have scrubbed toilets, dug ditches and changed soiled sheets... Today, I am semi-retired at age 45 with millions in the bank and a beautiful home. I am self made and did it all without the aide of the Govt. or my family. Dont assume anything.

MoKajavva, you're quite fond of yourself arent you? Does anyone actually understand that drivel you spew? Its neither poetic or profound... its just a guy typing on the internet and patting himself on his hairy back. There are millions of you out there...no one cares what you think.

The only sane commentator here is Spritof76. Who nailed it to the wall.

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 9:17 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Gee, you come across like more of a blowhard bragard bully than anything else (BBB for you millionare acronym types). Kind of like Chris Christie trying to address anyone with a different point of view. Ever think about addressing someone with respect to get your point across? Or you just like to do the "talk down to alpha personality" BS that Wendy, Katich and his wife roll with? Oh but wait, you can because you have more money than the rest of us! Bitchen! Your Mom would be so proud!

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 10:31 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Spiritof76's last paragraph is not logical. It doesn't follow that just because one doesn't subscribe to the NP, one doesn't support Mike Eliason or his work.

Nor does it follow that one would need to purchase the NP to support Eliason.

April 2, 2014 at 10:37 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam, if you need help understanding any part of my message just ask, I'm here for ya buddy.

Did you remember to take your hypertension pill this morning?

MoKajavva (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 11:27 a.m. (Suggest removal)

rukidding: If you get all your news from the Indy, Noozhawk and Edhat, you're another dumbed-down US citizen who's a hazard to the many here who acknowledge that we don't have local news in SB, we have local editorials, and we don't really have US or world news at all.

14noscams (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 11:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Oh Bimbo, (nice name choice by the way, its quite telling...)

Nothing is more crass than someone exhibiting envy towards others with more money then they... maybe you should have spent more time working towards something...Obviously that strategy didnt work out for you as you exhibit jealously and envy in most of your posts...

Sam_Tababa (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 11:58 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Indeed, someday when I grow up I wanna be just like you. :) Disagree on the jealousy and envy. I just like to point out BS when I see it. Thanks for the compliment on my name!

bimboteskie (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 12:46 p.m. (Suggest removal)

correct 14,we turn students into information workers processing mega-reams of nonsense via the cloud so they can rely on Noozhawk, Edhat, News-Suppress and dear old Indy for news. The enabled 1% oligarchy likes this dumbing down, digital-dingbats all, easily led, politically emasculated, a hyper-consumerist culture… Oh where is Athens and the ideal of true participatory democracy??!
When SamT brags he's "semi-retired at age 45 with millions in the bank and a beautiful home. [I am] self made and did it all without the aide [sic] of the Govt. or…" He's just another inflated consumer, full of himself, likes to rant on these threads, and bimbo nailed him stating he's "like more of a blowhard braggart [sic] bully" than anything else. Amusing.

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 1:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sam does love him some him. Trudat.

lawdy (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2014 at 3:03 p.m. (Suggest removal)

The union at the News-Press was voted out last year by a bunch of young and clueless reporters that were hired from the Reagan Foundation. The union is fighting this illegal vote, but in the meantime, this have the NP the perfect opportunity to rid itself of one of the union's most ardent supporters. Mike's firing had nothing to do with mold or even the posting of the pics on his Web site, which was more or less an excuse to get rid of him. Don Katich was hired to get rid of the union, which he did by bringing in his own henchman, sports writer Gerry something or other. It's not a mere coincidence that the two were friends before Don hired him to work at the NP, nor is it a coincidence that Gerry is the one who circulated the petitions to have the union dissolved. Without a union to watch over the corrupt goings on of the publishers at this newspaper, heaven help all those who work there.

Linda318 (anonymous profile)
April 8, 2014 at 7:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

More people have been quietly axed at the News-Press. The entire staff of the Santa Barbara News-Press' Latino publications -- El Mexicano and Santa Barbara Latino -- were fired. Santa Barbara lost one of its few Spanish language papers, which were quite good.. Obviously McCaw doesn't see any value in Latino readers, because any educated Latino will vote Democratic! She also fired the head of her sales staff Blaming the sales staff for not being able to sell ads to Santa Barbara businesses is like Hitler blaming is troops from not taking Russia. They face an impossible task, because McCaw has so alienated the community from her pathetic paper. Yet Simpleton remains. And Don Ka-Btich, the so-called news director who keeps putting out garbage stories and a lousy, skimpy paper remains. Why? McCaw keeps losing money because she doesn't have the balls to hire anyone with real news experience because they'd look at the paper and say -- "WTF?" Whereas the current toadies in charge will continue to run it into the gutter to hold onto their salaries as long as possible. And when that happens, McCaw won't have anyone to blame but herself for leaving ineptitude in charge.

oliverwood (anonymous profile)
July 20, 2014 at 12:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"Obviously McCaw doesn't see any value in Latino readers, because any educated Latino will vote Democratic!"
oliverwood (anonymous profile)
July 20, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

That's quite an assumption. Do you have anything to back that? Do Republican-leaning Cubans qualify as "Latino"?

July 20, 2014 at 7:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

the silly paper-thin wafer-thin News-SuPPRESS became irrelevant long ago, and we don't even have Travis Armstrong to hammer anymore. McCaw enjoys being the butt of all journalistic conversations in town, her flack Steeplechase writes most of the garbage, long may she and Nippleburger loll on their humongous yacht in the Med....

DavyBrown (anonymous profile)
July 20, 2014 at 9:21 p.m. (Suggest removal)