Woman Burned While Smoking Cigarette with Oxygen Mask

A 78-year-old woman endured first- and second-degree burns to her face Monday morning after she smoked a cigarette while wearing an oxygen mask in her bed at Friendship-Manor in Isla Vista.

According to the Santa Barbara County Fire Department, smoked filled the woman’s room and her neighbors had to be evacuated for a short time. The oxygen tank did not explode, and there was no real damage, aside from the rug, inside the room, authorities said. The woman was transported to Cottage Hospital for treatment. Her current condition is unknown.

The nonprofit retirement community, which is located on El Colegio Road, has been open since 1973, and provides housing for seniors who are 62 years old and older.

To submit a comment on this article, email or visit our Facebook page. To submit information to a reporter, email

Be succinct, constructive, and relevant to the story. Leaving a comment means you agree to our Discussion Guidelines. We like civilized discourse. We don't like spam, lying, profanity, harassment or personal attacks.

comments powered by Disqus
event calendar sponsored by:

Muslim Students Organize Vigil for New Zealand Victims

Attack that killed 51 people described as “act of pure evil and terrorism” by UCSB students.

News Commentary: Death Penalty Shouts and Whispers

Governor's reprieve has little effect in Santa Barbara, except in the Han case.

Goleta Planning Commissioners Just Say ‘No’

Vociferous comments from Old Town residents help tip the balance for oversight on cannabis storefront applications.

Bullet Holes Found in Goleta Barbershop Window

Public's help requested in shooting investigation.

Free Emergency Response Training

The Independent is hosting a CERT class with County Fire's Mike Eliason.