James "Jay" Roach

1937 - 2012, Santa Barbara

04/20/1937 - 01/17/2012

Jay Roach grew up in Three Rivers, CA where he loved going camping in Sequoia National Park with his parents, Merle and Gladys Roach. They moved to Santa Barbara when he was in junior high and he graduated in 1955 from SBHS.

He owned J & S East Valley Garage 47 years and was an avid race car participant his whole life, his number one love after his family.

He passed away unexpectedly in his sleep, and he will be dearly missed by many friends and family.

Jay is survived by his wife, Betty of 53 years, daughter Julie (David Guajardo), son Jay
(Christine) and five granddaughters Vanessa (27), Melanie (19), Ashley (18), Mariah (13), and Mia (12).

Print Friendly and PDFPrintPrint Friendly and PDFPDF

Comments

I love you so so much Papa! I have always looked up to you for so many reasons! You have always treated everyone with such kindness, compassion, and respect. You have always followed your heart and been so passionate about your work. You will be missed by so many people.
I promise to take care of Grandma for us, and to never forget all the wonderful memories I have from our 27 years together. Thank you for everything you have taught me, and all the things you have done for me.
I wish I could have had just one more big hug from you; but I know you'll always be with me and watching over all of us. I am so proud to be your granddaughter. I miss you more than words can describe. You will always inspire me.
Rest in peace my Papa.

vanessa_guajardo (anonymous profile)
January 17, 2012 at 9:08 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Dear Vanessa and family,

I am so sorry to read about such a great loss in the family. Please accept my condolences. I am sure that your best memories will help you through this difficult time.

Much love,

Mrs. Schipper

wcballet (anonymous profile)
January 18, 2012 at 2:32 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So sad to here. What a great guy along with the rest of the crew at East Valley Garage. A real MonteCITO legend that will be missed. This definitely marks the end of an era for the area.

surfdaggy (anonymous profile)
January 19, 2012 at 11:10 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Dear Julie and family,

I am very sad to read of your dad's unexpected passing, I know that your memories will help you though this difficult time.
May God hold you and the family close, letting you know that your dad is with him and watching over you always.

Love Barbara and family

Barbie (anonymous profile)
January 19, 2012 at 11:50 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I have know Jay Roach since 1978 when I began delivering parts to his shop from Ceasars Auto parts. I knew him after work when he would help me with my mustang and my nova. The whole gang at the shop made me feel welcome. I am upset to hear about his passing, he was someone you could go to with any problems you might have and he would go out of his way to help. Even if you didn't have a problem you could hang out at the shop and talk "shop". I enjoyed the bar-b-ques and parties and going to the races with the top fueler. I even got to work on the engine once. He will forever be in our hearts as a man of princable and as a friend. My heart goes out to Betty and the rest of the family including the family at the garage. Pauline Hart

hartatack (anonymous profile)
January 19, 2012 at 2:24 p.m. (Suggest removal)

My sincere condolences to the Jay Roach Family. I am very sad for your loss. Jay, and his shop have been a steady influence on the car/repair community here in Santa Barbara for many years. I speak for the people in that community and say: we will miss him very, very much.
Being a drag racing fan, when East Valley would show up at Pomona to work out the bugs in that AA fueler, I was there several times to see that. Made me proud of the home town when they announced it. Always pulled for his team. I know that Jay will have a lot of friends. God Bless.

bigslicks (anonymous profile)
January 20, 2012 at 2:11 p.m. (Suggest removal)