Aaron Axelrod

1973 - 2012

Aaron Sol Axelrod
2/14/1973 - 3/17/2012

He was an angel at heart--a cherubic Valentine's Baby that grew into a beautiful child full of outgoing energy and infectious joy. He learned to swim at White Rock in the Santa Ynez River, across Paradise Road from the cabin that was home during his first years. He gained strength and agility climbing sandstone outcroppings and spreading oaks in his forested back yard.
He played hard and well. He won countless BMX races on his homemade bike, and he won the respect of both teammates and opponents in youth soccer, football, and baseball leagues, and at Santa Barbara High School where he graduated in 1990.

He was a faithful friend--fun to be around, loveable, joyful and full of life. He was loved by his aunts and uncles, cousins and grandparents. He developed special bonds with his half-brothers, Ryan, Travis and Dylan. Though distant in age and proximity, they loved their big brother, and he them.
His daughter, Ciela Sol, was the most precious person in his life. He wanted to be a good father more that anything. He wanted to be the best Aaron he could be.

Aaron's demons began to take him from us gradually, beginning in his late teens. Our beautiful son, this loyal friend to so many, this caring brother and loving father, became an erratic and explosive person as his mind became altered by the collaborative and insidious mechanisms of bipolar disorder and drug and alcohol addiction. Despite ebbing periods of clarity and stability-- while sober in rehab programs or while serving time in jail or prison-- Aarons's demons finally overcame him, and led him into a tortured life spent in dark and sinister places, removed from the family and friends that loved him.

That part of Aaron is now gone, his spirit no longer dwells in the abyss of his mental illness and addiction. We are left in sorrow with our memories of Aaron Sol Axelrod, an angel at heart.
Aaron is survived by his mother, Ramona Switzer, father Dennis Axelrod, daughter Ciela Sol Angel, grandfather Fred Martinez, aunts Irene Fredricey, Tony Martinez and Terry Smith, uncles Rick Martinez and Barry Axelrod, and half-brothers Travis and Ryan Switzer and Dylan Axelrod.

Print Friendly and PDFPrintPrint Friendly and PDFPDF

Comments

I first met Aaron in High school, we hung out all through High School. He was the guy that was always smiling and very outgoing. I had tried off and on during the last 2 yrs, looking up Aaron. I now wish i had tried a little harder to find him. If anybody knows anything about where he will be layed to rest, so those of us that hung out in High School with Aaron can get together to go to the site. Or if his service hasnt happened yet, when is the service.

tonyfig805 (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2012 at 2:29 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Sorry to hear of your loss. Now is the time to really cling to God for support. Jehovah promises to heal the broken hearted ones (psalms 145:3). Much love and support to your family.

Tonykeys (anonymous profile)
April 2, 2012 at 6:37 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I want to extend my condolences. I recently lost the love of my life, and father of my beautiful 2 year old daughter, Ahren Henry, also sadly to the disease of addiction. I wish I could say that it gets easier, however at 8 mo's later I still cry every day. It is painful to live every day without him, if it wasn't for our daughter...I don't know, but she keeps me going.
The one positive in all of this is that both Ahren and your Aaron are not hurting anymore, and with that I can smile, it seems as though some of the kindest, most special souls, seem to suffer the most. I will pray for you and your family.
Jamie

southbaymisshapp (anonymous profile)
April 4, 2012 at 11:17 p.m. (Suggest removal)

So sorry to hear this. I didn't know him very well, but I would say hi to him sometimes in the hallways at SBHS because I had him in some classes. I graduated same year as him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his little girl and his family. So sad.

advazquez (anonymous profile)
April 5, 2012 at 11:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I knew Aaron personally growing up and he was an amazing person. He had a wonderful sense of humor and a smile that would light up the room. The countless evenings we would all spend laughing and telling jokes. I am now a mother of 3 boys and I can't imagine what your feeling. I do believe that Aaron is now at peace and now longer in pain. God bless your family during this very difficult time.

Tina

Tinab1223 (anonymous profile)
April 5, 2012 at 2:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I met Aaron at the Ymca summer camp in 1983, we became fast friends and stayed friends through the years. Aaron was a loyal friend who would give you the shirt off his back, he was funny, intelligent,kind and a gifted athlete. Unfourtunatley he was haunted by personal demons of addiction. I know we survive the process of death and that he is alive in spirit, may the Lord heal him and restore him. My condolences to his family, and all who knew him and loved him.

DavidO (anonymous profile)
July 25, 2012 at 12:01 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I use to babysit Aaron when he was a small boy. I will forever remember him as gregarious, intelligent, and full of energy. It is heartbreaking to find out of his death. My deepest sympathies to his family. May God be with you.

LeslieJRH (anonymous profile)
November 4, 2012 at 7:19 p.m. (Suggest removal)