The Montecito Fire Protection District (MFPD) began its annual neighborhood clean up / fire prevention program on Monday. This week’s participating neighborhood is in the Lower Romero Canyon area, however, additional neighborhoods are scheduled for the program through July.
Announcements are sent out to property owners located in the designated neighborhoods several weeks before the scheduled project notifying them about the program. The District’s Wildland Fire Specialists offer property inspections and educate the residents on ways they can to improve wildland fire safety measures around their home. During the inspection, property owners are advised where they should remove or reduce vegetation to improve their defensible space and instructed where to place the materials for chipping.
Vines, grass, palms, succulents, and other small trimmings can be put in dumpsters that have been donated by Marborg Industries. The dumpsters are placed at pre-identified locations within the participating neighborhoods during the week of the project. Participants are asked to stack larger shrub and tree limb materials at the edge of the nearest passable access road for free chipping.
MFPD offers this program to over 1,000 residents in the community. Reducing the volume of flammable vegetation helps to create more defensible and survivable space around the property and reduces the overall community threat from wildfire. For more information about the neighborhood clean-up program, please contact Wildland Fire Specialist Kerry Kellogg at 969-7762.
Neighborhood Clean-Up Fire Prevention Projects 2015
Montecito Fire Protection District Defensible Space Chipping Schedule:
· March 16 – March 20 Lower Romero Cyn Rd., Oak Grove Dr., Alisos Dr., Olive Rd., Piedras Dr., Veloz Dr., Feather Hill Rd., Tabor Ln., and Orchard Ave.
· March 30 – April 3 Upper Romero Cyn Rd., Park Hill Lane, Park Lane, Park Lane West, Tollis (Olive to Buena Vista), Bella Vista Dr., Buena Vista Ave., Upper Lilac Dr., Knollwood Dr.
· April 13 – April 17 West Mountain Drive, Coyote Rd., and Banana Rd. (732 – 744 Coyote.)
· April 27 – May 1 Arcady Rd., Knapp Dr., Cowles Rd., 530-540 Barker Pass Rd., Cottage Ln., El Rancho Rd., and Sky View.
· May 11 – May 15 Sierra Vista Rd., Nicholas Ln., Ridge View Rd., Canon View Rd., Sycamore Vista Rd., Calle Elegante, Calle Hermosa, Crest View Ln., and Ranchito Vista Rd.
· May 26 – May 29 East Mountain Drive, Brook Tree Rd., Oak Creek Canyon Rd., Ashley Rd., Ayala Lane, 900-1200 Hot Springs Rd.
· June 8 – June 12 Chelham Way, Dawlish Pl., Stoddard Ln., Cloydon Circle, and Paso Robles Dr.
· June 22 – June 26 1010-1144 Alston Rd., Woodley Rd., Glenview Rd., Camino Viejo Rd., Dulzura Dr., and Alcala Lane.
· July 6 – July 10 501-849 Hot Springs, 1254-1385 East Valley Rd., Para Grande Rd., and Tejas Lane.
· July 20 – July 24 Hodges Ln., El Bosque Rd., Bolero Dr., Periwinkle Ln., Juan Crespi Dr., El Dorado Ln., Live Oak Rd., and Randall Rd.