Warm Farro Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash
Emily Jacobs is a Santa Barbara City College culinary school graduate and food blogger. See www.sagerecipes.com for more.
- 1 butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbls parsley, chopped
- 3 tbls parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tbl freshly squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 425°F. Toss the butternut squash in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, toss the red onion with olive oil, salt, and pepper. When the squash has cooked for 15 minutes, add the onions to the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
2. Place the farro in a medium saucepan and fill with enough water to cover by 1 inch. Add the red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high-heat and reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer uncovered until tender, about 25 minutes. Drain the farro and remove the bay leaf. Toss with the squash and onions. Add in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, cheese, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.