Quinoa, Oat, and Flaxseed Porridge
Start your morning off right! This porridge can be made ahead of time and is packed full of protein, fiber, and omega 3′s.
- For the Porridge
- 2 cups milk (plus 1 cup for serving) *almond milk or soy milk can be substituted
- ½ cup quinoa, rinsed
- ½ cup steel-cut oats
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup ground flaxseed meal
- For the Toppings
- 4 tsps maple syrup
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ¼ cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1. Combine the milk, quinoa, steel-cut oats, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, being careful not to scorch the bottom of the pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in the ground flaxseed meal.
2. If serving immediately, divide the porridge among 4 serving bowls and top each with 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1/4 cup blackberries, and 1 tablespoon dried apricots. Pour in 1/4 cup reserved milk into each bowl.
3. If storing, let porridge cool and transfer to air tight container and refrigerate. In a microwave safe bowl, heat a single serving on high in microwave for 1-2 minutes and then add toppings: 1 teaspoon maple syrup, 1/4 cup blackberries, and 1 tablespoon dried apricots. Pour in 1/4 cup milk.
This recipe can be served immediately or refrigerated and reheated for single servings. I like to make a big batch on Sunday morning and then reheat it all week long. I add different fruit like blueberries, diced apples, or raisins, whatever I have on hand.