Spicy Asian Lettuce Wraps
For a light and healthy dinner, try Asian flavored turkey and vegetables wrapped in crisp, fresh lettuce.
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce
- 1 tbl grape seed oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Kosher Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly grated
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tbls low-sodium soy sauce
- 5 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- cilantro for garnish
- 1 lime
1. With a pairing knife, remove the core from the bottom side of the lettuce. Peel away the outer layer of lettuce and discard. Gently peel away the layers of lettuce, being careful not to tear them. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the turkey, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned. Add the onions and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, jalapeño, and carrots. Cook for another 2 minutes. Mix in the Chinese five spice, red pepper flakes, and soy sauce. Cook until soy sauce has been absorbed, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Scoop meat mixture into the lettuce cups, doubling up lettuce cups if they are too thin. Garnish with green onions, cilantro leaves, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.