Chicken and White Bean Chili Verde
The chilly ocean fog that rolls into Santa Barbara inspired this warm and comforting dish. The lean protein, legumes, and vegetables make this chili healthy, yet hearty and satisfying.
- 2 tbls grape seed oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
1. In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, poblano, and jalapeño. Add in the coriander, cumin, and oregano. Cook until vegetables are softened, about another 3 minutes. Add in the chicken stock and bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add in the chicken and beans. Cover and cook for about 10 minutes, or until chicken and beans are heated through. Generously season with salt and pepper.
3. Ladle into bowls and garnish with green onions, radishes, cilantro leaves, a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
* poblano peppers are often labeled as pasilla peppers