Page 1 of 5
Posted on February 5 at 10:30 a.m.
You think the UNAM (Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico) offers scholarships to undocumented Americans? When they do, lets talk...
On Few Scholarships for Undocumented Students
Posted on January 25 at 6:32 p.m.
TOO MUCH HOTEL; TOO LITTLE PARKING and WE SHOULD NOT BELIEVE CARUSO's PLANS TO MITIGATE THE PROBLEM; Make him scale it down, and if the economics don't work...so be it...he can sell it at a loss and pave the way for an economically viable scaled down project that's consistent with what WAS there.
Here's a little history:
1. 8 or so years ago, Caruso takes over the project and comes in with guns blazing saying he was going to rebuild the hotel within the scope of its past....What we got was a project which was nearly equal in size and scope to Fess Parker's and almost as ugly.
2. Next he gains support from the community by telling (lying) to us that he is the go to guy to build it because he and his organization do not rely on external financing, such as banks or insurance companies for capital. Well, by 2009, we realized, after he applied for numerous extensions 'owing to the lack of financing" nothing could have been further from the truth. He gainsed our support as the go to guy to build it by telling the community he had the capital, when in reality he didn't. Pure Lies. Andy yet everyone seems to have forgotten this important fact. This is not an honest man.
3. Next the markets crashed, and he tells everyone he can't build his permitted project because he cannot obtain financing....and nobody seems to remember point number 2...but still, everyone continues to give him a pass.
4. So now, he comes back to Montecito and to the county, with an equally bloated project, which is now worsened by the elimination of a parking structure which would have minimized the impact on our neighborhoods, and we're supposed to believe it when he tells us he's going to contain club memberships, the size of the events, and 'manage' parking?????? I DONT THINK SO.
Based on his history, there's no reason to believe Caruso will act in the interests of the community, in ways consistent with what has been established by the MPC.
I urge the appropriate people to appeal this project, send it back...and scale it down to something which suits the site and the community, namely;
1. fewer rooms,2. a smaller club3. smaller restaurants, and4. no beach functions
If that means that Mr. Caruso can't make money...so be it...he won't be the first person to have to dump a project at a loss, but note that would clear the way for an economically viable, scaled down Miramar, consistent with what was there before.
On Miramar Approved, but Not So Fast
Posted on October 15 at 3:06 p.m.
When we have real issues like poverty, homelessness, not to mention EBOLA and ISIS, its really comforting to know that Nick Welch and his Enviro-Nazis are busily creating an elitist environmental utopia to save a few dubiously monikered trout so that reality deprived Santa Barbarians can really feel good about themselves.
Good Going Nick, my faith in you is restored.
On Shooting Fish in a Barrel
Posted on September 16 at 3:33 p.m.
You enviro nazis have nothing more to think about than ice plant and non native eucylyptus trees?
What about the fact that kids in your community are murdering eachother, that there's out of control homeless....it goes on and on.
Shame on this stupid rag of a newspaper for even bringing reporting such silliness. Get real
On Trees Being Cut Down at UCSB
Posted on June 7 at 7:44 a.m.
What is it with you...you think that just because we're farmers we don't have any regard for land, and for its stewardship? You think that we don't spend time investing millions in technology and improvements to be among the most water efficient farmers and farming regions in the state, if not the world. You think that we don't care about the land we live on and what its going to look like for the 6th, 7th, and 8th generations of family that will farm it? You think that we don't even think twice about flushing a toilet or make an effort to take a 2 minute shower. You think that we don't throw gray water on the organic lettuce we grow in a kitchen garden. You think that just because we believe in a bit more of a balanced approach to utilizing resources, especially water, and that we're willing to meet environmental concerns in the middle, because that's reality...that we're a bunch of slobs? Think again.
On Feds Kill More Steelhead
Posted on June 5 at 7:47 p.m.
Well if you want fruit and vegetables on your table and meat on your plate I suggest you begin to think about balancing the needs of wildlife and habitat with mans need for bread and water.
Farmers in Ventura and SB counties are the most progressive in the country (admittedly that may not be saying much) but in reality we lead the state and country in water efficiency crop productivity and bio diversity.
And yet we are still disproportionately hard hit by enviro extremist policies.
There has to be a balance. Farmers have come a long way. It's about time you environ think about meeting us in the middle
Posted on June 5 at 9:16 a.m.
Well, before you enviro-Nazis get all worked up about a few of these steelhead getting iced....consider the FACTS:
1. the steelhead bear no biological distinction whatsoever from garden variety trout which is farmed, raised and sold at the supermarket.
2. the steelhead which are supposedly indigenous to the region, were actually STOCKED in rivers and streams in SB and Ventura counties around the turn of the century...
Please refer to CoLAB Ventura county's April 2014 Newsletter for the FACTS on the STEELHEAD:
Posted on May 12 at 9:40 a.m.
On The S.B. Questionnaire: Michael Cohen
Posted on May 12 at 9:24 a.m.
You could not have plagiarized the interview questions Vanity Faire Magazine uses more perfectly!!! NICE JOB! A for originality!
Posted on May 6 at 9:52 a.m.
why is it you liberals all think with your HEARTS and not your MINDS....
Why don't you put your BRAINS to work for once...and realize that there has never EVER been ONE incident where tracking has contaminated ground water or surface water for that mater..
LOOK AT THE FACTS..
On Fracking Ban Coming to Santa Barbara?