- Red Flag Warning for Eastern Sierra Slopes of Inyo County County, California
- Red Flag Warning issued December 20 at 4:04AM PST until December 20 at 7:00PM PST by NWS
- Effective: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 4:04 a.m.
- Expires: Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 7 p.m.
.Strong winds are expected across Inyo County, especially the
higher elevations of the Sierra today and then spread across the
remainder of the area this afternoon through Thursday. Although
minimum relative humidities in some areas will stay above 15
percent, fuels are critically dry. Extreme fire behavior has been
observed in the past with high winds and extremely dry fuels
despite humidities around 20 to 30 percent. There will be some
improvement in humidity recoveries tonight, but gusty winds will
continue through Thursday afternoon.
...RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 7 PM PST THIS EVENING
FOR STRONG WINDS AND LOW RH FOR FIRE WEATHER ZONE 226...
* AFFECTED AREA...In California...Fire weather zone 226.
* TIMING...through this evening.
* WIND...West to southwest winds 40 to 50 mph with gusts of 60 to
70 mph at the higher elevations. Winds shifting to the north
this afternoon and becoming more focused in the Owen Valley.
Wind speeds this afternoon 30 to 40 mph.
* HUMIDITY...Minimum afternoon humidity 30 to 35 percent at the
higher elevations, and 20 to 25 percent at the lower
* IMPACTS...Any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
Outdoor burning is not recommended.