- High Surf Warning for Santa Barbara County Central Coast County, California
- High Surf Warning issued January 20 at 4:36PM PST until January 20 at 9:00PM PST by NWS
- Effective: Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 4:36 p.m.
- Expires: Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 9 p.m.
...DAMAGING WARNING LEVEL SURF WILL CONTINUE TO AFFECT THE
CENTRAL COAST THROUGH THIS EVENING...
...HIGH SURF WILL AFFECT WEST AND NORTHWEST FACING BEACHES SOUTH
OF POINT CONCEPTION THROUGH THIS EVENING...
...HIGH SURF WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM PST THIS
* SURF AND TIMING...Surf of 12 to 16 feet with local sets to 18
feet will continue through this evening, and then subside to 6
to 9 feet by Sunday. The highest surf will be on west to
northwest facing beaches.
* Impacts...Very large, dangerous and damaging waves with strong
currents will create an increased risk of drownings. Sneaker
waves can suddenly wash over previously dry beaches and jetties.
There will be also a high risk of life-threatening rip currents.
There is an increased threat of beach erosion and local flooding
of low lying areas such as beach parking lots.