The County of Santa Barbara today announced the reduction in services at some County parks to better align expenditures with reduced revenue experienced thus far in the current fiscal year. Some of the immediate service reductions are:
• Closing Guadalupe Dunes on Mondays and Tuesdays each week,
• Turning off Waller fountain pump except on the weekends,
• Aggressively pursuing late accounts payable fees due to the department,
• Reducing watering schedules throughout the parks system with the exception of the courthouse,
• Reducing contracted grounds and janitorial maintenance, and
• Closing Vista Point near Cachuma Lake.
“We regret the inconvenience that these service reductions and limitations will have on the public,” said Interim Parks Director Brian Roney. Roney also said, “When revenues decline we must cut back on expenses. We looked at our entire operation and determined the changes that would provide cost savings and have minimal impacts to the public. The goal is to restore access and services as soon as fiscally responsible.”