UCSB has opened up their Multi-Activity Court to Ventura residents seeking shelter from the Thomas Fire, according to Santa Barbara County spokesperson Gina DePinto.
Shelter manager Deborah Hopper said Wednesday morning that at last count, there were 18 people either in the UCSB shelter or parking lot. The evacuation center can hold “around 400 people.”
DePinto said that Ventura County requested an evacuation shelter in Santa Barbara County to hold overflow evacuees. As of 7:24 a.m. Wednesday, the Thomas Fire had burned 65,000 acres and displaced 50,000 people.
To get to the shelter, evacuees should enter the campus from the Henley Gate entrance and park in Lot 16. Staff there will guide evacuees to the shelter.
- City of Ventura - Ventura County Fairgrounds at Miners Building (Red Cross - Includes an Animal Shelter for all types of animals) – 10 W Harbor Blvd, Ventura, CA 93001
- City of Ojai - Nordhoff High School (Red Cross) -1401 Maricopa Hwy, Ojai, CA 93023
- City of Oxnard - Oxnard College Gymnasium (Red Cross)- Open 12/5/17, 0700
- City of Santa Paula - Santa Paula Community Center (City of SP run shelter) - Open 0800
- City of Fillmore - Veteran's Memorial Bldg (City of Fillmore run shelter), 511 2nd Street - Will be open 12/6/17, 0800 hrs
- UC Santa Barbara - Santa Barbara Multi Activity Center, 516 Ocean Road, Santa Barbara, CA (Evacuees should enter UCSB through the main east entrance, park in parking lot 16. Staff will guide you to the Center).