Media Skills for Spokespersons – How to Become a Coach for Your Client
DATE & TIME
Wed, May 22 8:00 AM
125 State Street, Santa Barbara
MOXI, The Wolf Museum of Exploration + Innovation
PRSA California Gold Coast Chapter is pleased to present “Media Skills for Spokespersons — How to Become a Coach for Your Client” by Lois Phillips, Ph.D.
With a background as a university executive, Dr. Phillips has co-produced two television talk shows and is often lecturing at conferences and on air discussing current organizational issues including gender relations in the workplace, women in politics, and the impact of #METOO. As a consultant, she conducts organizational survey research and facilitates strategic planning sessions and coaches executives on their presentation and media skills. She is co-author with Dr. Anita Perez Ferguson of Women Seen and Heard Speaker’s Journal: Worksheets and Templates (2019).
Topics will include:
- Tips and tools for preparing your client and yourself
- Stories that make the news
- ABC Formula for thinking on your feet
- Examples of how to answer tough questions
- What to watch out for
- Awareness of Gender Differences and stereotypes in speaking
- What to never, ever say to a reporter!
Dr. Phillips will provide us with a mini-role play workshop (journalist and spokesperson) to allow us to practice critical tools. You will leave with a helpful handout and recommended articles.
- Networking & Light Refreshments 8 to 8:30 a.m.
- Program and Q&A: 8:30 a.m.
- Conclusion: 9:30 a.m.