The Indy is the Santa Barbara Independent’s podcast, hosted by Molly McAnany. On this week’s episode, we discuss the supply chain issues facing farmers on the Central Coast. Water, land, gas, and, most recently, food are all hitting record-high costs and are expected to keep rising throughout the rest of 2022. Many Californians are asking, “Why are general food items and certain products climbing along with inflation?” Dana Olsen from the John Givens Farm shares that growers need to make up for high costs, and this is the only way how.
All music for this episode written by Molly McAnany.
Follow The Indy podcast on Instagram @theindypod to support us.
Sources referenced on this episode:
- Food Price Outlook Report: May 2022
- California Budget and Policy Center
- House Agriculture Committee 2022 Review of the Farm Bill: Perspectives from the Field – July 7, 2022
For further reading:
- Farmers Sound Alarm over Coming Food Shortages
- Ebby’s Organic Farm Pushed Out of Ellwood Canyon Property in Goleta
- Why Climate Change Could Wither Santa Barbara Agriculture
- Santa Barbara’s Mental Wellness Center Hosts 26th Annual Mental Health Arts Festival
This podcast was underwritten in part by the Mickey Flacks Journalism Fund for Social Justice, a proud and innovative supporter of local news. To make a contribution, go to sbcan.org/journalism_fund. To sponsor The Indy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.