I am writing in response to your November event calendar that included a sarcastic description of the Junior League of Santa Barbara’s annual fundraiser, the American Girl Fashion Show [The Week, “6th Annual American Girls Fashion Show,” p. 34, 11/15/12.] The negative remarks about this event could not have been less fitting.
American Girl partners with nonprofit organizations nationwide to present fashion show events, generating funds for worthwhile children’s charities. The company’s ongoing commitment to “celebrate girls” aligns well with the Junior League of Santa Barbara’s mission to promote youth literacy in our community. This educational event features American Girl historical characters that inhabit stories set during important times in America’s past and contemporary characters that explore issues of today. The experience is designed to show girls that they can do great things if they believe in themselves and each other.
All event proceeds support the Junior League of Santa Barbara‘s ongoing efforts to develop the potential of women and improve the community through the effective action of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
More like this story
- Junior League of Santa Barbara’s Gift Increases Youth Literacy Programming at the Library
- SB Junior League Hosts Winter Wonderland Event
- Junior League Presents “Reading Between the Wines”
- Junior League of Santa Barbara Hosts Dr. Seuss Event with the Santa Barbara Central Library
- Junior League of SB Hosts 6th Literacy Gala
Kate Lechner volunteers with the Junior League of Santa Barbara