Probable original owner and architectural designer: Arthur B. Caldwell
Approximate year built: 1890
This simplified late-Gothic-revival-style residence was constructed about 1890, probably by A.B. Caldwell, a carpenter/builder. He is listed as residing here in the 1895 city directory but only for a short period of time. By 1905, lithographer Emile Charles and his wife resided there for the next two-plus decades. In 1943, Charles Ingram, the owner of an auto-repair shop, lived here until 1974.
Over the years, the property has undergone a few alterations, which include enclosing one side of the front porch and dividing the property into two apartments.
Distinguishing architectural hallmarks include the following:
- T-shaped configuration
- One-and-a-half stories
- Decorative scrollwork in brackets along front porch
- Steeply pitched roof with symmetrical design
- Three gables: two on each side and one over the entrance
- Double-hung windows
- Three octagonal bay windows: one upstairs and two downstairs
- 98 percent shiplap siding (originally 100 percent) and 2 percent fish-scale siding, placed on the upstairs window facing Castillo Street